The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Alpacas

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
DS2 and DIL had given us an alpaca walking voucher at Hope Farm Alpaca Rescue near Wimborne, so we went there this afternoon - it was great :)

We went into a field where several alpacas were tied to the fence, and allocated one each. There were lots of very cute ones, but Mr N and I were both drawn to a pair of large and rather unkempt ones - which just happened to be the ones we got :)

They were an older, bonded pair (so had to go next to each other in the line). Mine, the brown one (Julius), was the oldest there, and older ones are clipped less often; the white one, Alfie, was a different breed, which have more rasta hair. Mr N, who had Alfie, was given some advice - he can be a bit of a pain, pulling, trying to get into the borders on each side of the path and roll, and eating anything he can eat, so you need to say 'Walk on' and turn him in a circle. He'll get bits of bramble in his coat, then he'll get grumpy because of the brambles in his coat, but don't try to pull them out because then he might spit at you. Usually only llamas spit and alpacas never do, but he does.
I nearly burst out laughing - Mr N had got Jasper reincarnated, in alpaca form!:eek::D

Julius apparently came from the Duchess of Bath (if I remember right), as the rest of her ageing herd had died and alpacas don't do well on their own. Apparently if you wanted to get his attention from the other side of the field, you had to shout 'Julius!' in a very posh voice. Alfie had been kept on his own for several years, and then kept with dogs, so no wonder he was a bit confused, bless him...

53126781617_4711a85e66_c.jpg

53126781677_acd0f43b2f_c.jpg

Just look at the state of that coat...

53127581674_2511f87a3c_c.jpg

There's something very appealing about alpacas, isn't there? I just noticed the other day that there are some in a field near us.

One of the males had been allowed in with the females recently - they're hoping there will be some baby alpacas (crias) next year :) He's back in with the males now, but we could see the females in the next field all gathering by the fence and swooning over him ;)

Did you know that alpacas can wee for 7 minutes straight? o_O They also tend to go in unison, so when we got back to their fields, we all had to stand around like lemons for ages waiting for them to finish. That gives a false idea of volume though - there doesn't seem to be a lot of pressure there, it's pretty much a trickle.

They are gorgeous creatures and make a lovely humming noise of content. We have some not far from us and they're wonderful. I always think of sighthounds when I see them - it's all legs and a long neck.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back