The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Amendments To The Highway Code

Evie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please crosspost and sign this petition or horses won't be able to ride 2 abreast on the roads and may be banned from other areas. Riding 2 abreast is for safety with children and young horses.

================================================

Dear ALL

Please pass this email on to as many people you can and ask them to sign

Up to the petition.

Regards

Jo Carr

Please consider signing up to http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Horseriding

The BHS is asking for last-minute amendments to the new Highway Code,

Which could be in force in August. The BHS suggested amendments to the new

Highway Code to the Secretary of State back in February 2006. But

According to BHS director of access, safety and welfare Mark Weston, some have

apparently been ignored. The Code will forbid riding two horses abreast

on narrow and busy roads and when riding around bends. It will also exclude

horses from all cycle tracks. There can be many valid reasons for riding

two abreast: groups of riders, nervous horses, novice riders, and

defensive riding on winding country lanes where there is insufficient room for a

car to pass a single horse safely. Breaches of the Highway Code could

potentially be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the

Traffic Acts in order to establish liability in an accident. There are many

Cycle tracks which have been specifically designed for use by horse riders,

And the loss of these would be very serious for those who rely on them.

Janice Bridger

The Warren ,

Curridge,

Newbury

Berks RG18 9DN

Tel:01635 200507

have you posted this on horse and hound too? thanks for posting!! very worrying isnt it and we are losing our bridlepaths daily sadly :(

posh totty said:
have you posted this on horse and hound too? thanks for posting!! very worrying isnt it and we are losing our bridlepaths daily sadly  :(
Hi,

No, I haven't posted it up there..... I'm not on that forum.

Please copy and paste it on anywhere you think might be of help!!

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

:unsure: they should sort out all these youngsters on these mini motor bikes that cause all the problem and leave us horse riders alone :rant:

ive signed :thumbsup:

peppermint lady said:
:unsure: they should sort out all these youngsters on these mini motor bikes that cause all the problem and leave us horse riders alone :rant:
ive signed :thumbsup:

Lots of horsey peeps were i live, very rural so i always take my time when out in my motor, take for instance yesterday afyernoon, was going round this bend, bumped into two young girls on horseback 2 abreast surely thats not right on narrow country lanes both of em on mobile phones and to top that off one of em was moving its bowels

keith

midlanderkeith said:
and to top that off one of em was moving its bowels                      keith

Ha ha, I hope you are talking about the horses, not the riders!!!

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Seraphina said:
Evie said:
midlanderkeith said:
and to top that off one of em was moving its bowels                       keith

Ha ha, I hope you are talking about the horses, not the riders!!!

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

I was wondering about the horses talking on their mobiles :lol:

Thats what i like commediennes and theres a few on k9, love it :lol:

:cheers:

keith

I understand what your saying its for the saftey of younger riders and horses but there is alot of horses riders where I live and they are a menace on the roads.

The not only ride a 2 a breast but 3 and 4 a breast.

The riders are often on mobile phones or they are that busy talking between themselves they don't take any notice of the vehicles on the road and they are often very rude to drivers.

I'm not saying it all horse riders but personally I won't be signing.

as a horse rider it really upsets :rant: me when other horse riders dont thank drivers for slowing down, and ride right out in the middle of the road without moving in to let a car/van get passed :(

but if you have never ridden you wont know how frightening it is for horse and rider when a car passes you at 40+ mph without even looking back :rant: to see if your still in the saddle :(

the more areas that get cut off to horse riding will only mean more of us having to exercise our horses on main roads. :unsure:

its unfair to judge us all the same :angry: , i ride on a main bus route and over the 11yrs ive been riding around there ive built up a good relationship with the other road users :thumbsup: i also often stop to let the local kids pat my horses, some of the children would never usually get the chance to see a horse/pony let alone pat one in the middle of town.

and after all, people rode horses long before they drove cars.

iv signed :thumbsup:

i agree peppermint lady, it gets to me too when people dont thank drivers for slowing down, i thank everyone who slows down for me when im out hacking!

melanie said:
iv signed :thumbsup:
i agree peppermint lady, it gets to me too when people dont thank drivers for slowing down, i thank everyone who slows down for me when im out hacking!

i thank everyone when i'm out riding, even the cars that speed past me in the hope that i make them feel bad. luckily my horse is very sound in traffic, so very little phases her. The only problem i have ever had is when i was walking her on the leadrope to her new home (her back wasnt sound enough to ride) with me on the outside, and a van sped past us on a bend, nearly hit the oncoming car, and so swerved into us. the van missed me by millimetres and she reared up and galloped off up the lane. a very scary 10 minutes later i managed to catch her with the help of a nice man in a car who gave me a lift, and 4 boys on bikes. the outcome could have been terrible. with the insistance of local councils and landowners to keep blocking off bridlepaths (without permission :rant: ) mainly to keep out the motorbike riders, there is becoming less and less places that people can ride. i totally agree that riders sometimes need to ride two abreast, for safety more than anything else, but i think that some riders should become more road aware too. i never use my phone whilst riding, drop into single file when possible to allow people to pass, and indicate to drivers when the roads are clear to overtake. maybe it should be compulsory for all riders to take the riding and road safety test,as you wouldnt allow someone without a license to drive a car on the road. i understand the frustration of drivers, as i have been in that situation too, but i think that some drivers need to become more sympathetic to the situation a lot of riders find themselves in.

there are 2 ladies around here that ride there horses on the main road and down the estate, 2 abreast.

they had a right go at me last year for crossing the road in front of them with zeb.

I was not even close to them. When they past me they shouted to control me dog.(he was walking to heel and made to reaction to them.)

My OH was driving to work the other year when 2 older ladies were around the bend.He was in his work van. 1 of them swong her horse into the path of the van. He had slowed down antway because of the bend. He slowed down even more and tried to give them enough room, but it was then that the lady swong her horse into the path of the van. He then had to stop because the horse was all over the road and it was to dangerous for both him and the lady.

I well not be sighning.

if the horse is not safe on the road,or the rider is a novice then surly they should have same sort of warning to show both car drivers and pedistrans, just like "L" plates on a car.

Are you sure she swung the horse into the vans path and it wasn't the horse that spooked at something?

I agree that there shouldn't be any rudeness or arrogance on the part of the rider; but I feel that many motorists aren't aware of how many of them fly past us almost knocking the mud off our boots as they go. Sometimes the only option is to spread out abit to make the traffic slow down further. And imo this is much better than an accident if a horse gets scared at traffic coming past. I'm sure neither party wants to be involved in such an accident.

Many horse riders these days have no option but to be on the road, with fewer and fewer off road places being available to ride. But certainly a bit of manners and a nod to say thanks to the curtious drivers goes a long way.

Evie said:
Are you sure she swung the horse into the vans path and it wasn't the horse that spooked at something?
I agree that there shouldn't be any rudeness or arrogance on the part of the rider; but I feel that many motorists aren't aware of how many of them fly past us almost knocking the mud off our boots as they go.  Sometimes the only option is to spread out abit to make the traffic slow down further.  And imo this is much better than an accident if a horse gets scared at traffic coming past.  I'm sure neither party wants to be involved in such an accident.

Many horse riders these days have no option but to be on the road, with fewer and fewer off road places being available to ride.  But certainly a bit of manners and a nod to say thanks to the curtious drivers goes a long way.

like ive said before, im in a rural area, lots of riding stables every time i go out, theres always horse riders in the country lanes, entitled to i say, i show them the respect they deserve, ie, slow down pull out as far as possible, in return i get a handwave thanking me, i also warn oncoming traffic of horse riders on the road

keith :cheers:

sharron said:
there are 2 ladies around here that ride there horses on the main road and down the estate, 2 abreast.
they had a right go at me last year for crossing the road in front of them with zeb.

I was not even close to them. When they past me they shouted to control me dog.(he was walking to heel and made to reaction to them.)

My OH was driving to work the other year when 2 older ladies were around the bend.He was in his work van. 1 of them swong her horse into the path of the van. He had slowed down antway because of the bend. He slowed down even more and tried to give them enough room, but it was then that the lady swong her horse into the path of the van. He then had to stop because the horse was all over the road and it was to dangerous for both him and the lady.

I well not be sighning.

if the horse is not safe on the road,or the rider is a novice then surly they should have same sort of warning to show both car drivers and pedistrans, just like "L" plates on a car.

this statement about a rider risking her and her horses life by swinging her horse out in front of an on coming car is total rubbish :rant:

the horse would have spooked and turned into the road/or away from the road to get away from whatever frightend it :(

it all boils down to respect, on the most part, i show respect to EVERY car that slows for me, but on the other hand if they dont slow i am more than happy to signal the 1 finger wave :rant:

you also state that we should wear "L" plates, you can NEVER be 100% sure that a horse wont spook at something , as it is a living breathing animal with a mind of its own.....

i also believe that drivers should be shown a video of how terrible an accident can be that involves a horse when they pass there driving test...

what really worries me about peoples attitude to horses is when ive walked my 4 year old daughter out on her pony and the odd a*** hole that wont even slow down for a child :rant:

personally i HATE bike riders but it doesnt mean i have the right to knock them off, i also wouldnt go speeding past a bike rider, be it an adult or child..

Surely a nervouse horse shouldnt be ridden out on the Rds? as it would be a danger to itself, its rider and passing traffic?.

what also needs tightening are the rules on these pedal bike riders who ride in large groups (say 5-20) swinging all over the Rd as if they are in a Rd race on a closed Rd.

My opinion is that every Rd user whether (even pedal bikes ect) should have to have insurance and some form of Rd tax.

Mark Roberts said:
Surely a nervouse horse shouldnt be ridden out on the Rds? as it would be a danger to itself, its rider and passing traffic?.
what also needs tightening are the rules on these pedal bike riders who ride in large groups (say 5-20) swinging all over the Rd as if they are in a Rd race on a closed Rd.

My opinion is that every Rd user whether (even pedal bikes ect) should have to have insurance and some form of Rd tax.

i agree with you mark about about the cycle riders, around where i live we have lots of cycle ways (off the road running on or along side the path) but the cycle riders STILL ride on the road :rant:

most horse riders DO have insurance (liability) as standard..... :thumbsup:

i think we are missing the point about horses on roads, if a horse is not taken out on the road then they will never get used to it :unsure: , having said that NO horse can be classed as 100% bomb proof :(

my 21yr old mare is about as steady as you can get on the roads, however, she will have alook at a newly dug up bit of road that she has not seen before..... :unsure: ...sometimes causing her to walk out further into the road, or if a car comes flying up behind her then hits its breaks, without a doubt it will make her jump :rant:

its the same as training your dog, when you 1st let it off the lead, it may run up to someone in the park :eek: but without being able to let your dog off to teach it to stay with you the problem will not get any better.....

the same with a horse, a rider can only do so much.......i think the best thing is for all the people that seem to think riders should have 100% contol over a large animal with its own mind should book a hack with a riding school and see how worrying it feels when other road users have NO respect for YOUR saftey. :unsure:

how many of you can truely say when you dog is off the lead you have 100% control :- " :- " none because as like a horse a dog also has a mind of its own....if it really wants to do something ie run off after something it will.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back