The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

American Bulldog XL

Katrina Bass

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey I've bought an american bulldog puppy and he has his first visit to the vets today for immunisations and chip. He got weighed at 4.5 kg I been trying to do research to see if this a healthy weight but coming up with nothing. Just want to make sure I am feeding him the correct amohbt . Thanks

Hi...I looked around the net and there is few weight charts about. Like this one.. Weight of American bulldog
It might be good to trust your eyes and feel his body too ...is there bit of 'padding' or do you feel the ribs clearly...can you see them? Pups at that age should not feel bony but they should still have fair bit of puppy fat around their frame.
As you have only just visited the vet, I would have thought the vet would have commented how the pup appear to look weight wise..?
I assume that your dog is somewhere around 8 weeks? So according to that chart at 12 weeks he should be at 11 kg...so about twice that it is now..umm. It is quite a catch up in a month. Charts are never accurate...there is always little wiggle room as some dogs are larger size for the breed and others smaller. As long as you pup is healthy, it doesn't go hungry, has a good home and is happy and don't forget to allow it to have plenty of rest as when in sleep, that is when they 'digest' what they have learned/experienced during the waking hours and their body do their growing and repairs.
ETA..here is another chart which looks more promising..the american bulldog puppy weight chart - Bing images

Last edited:
When I got my pup also a large breed at 8 weeks old he weighed 6.2kg .Ronnie was put on a raw diet as soon as I got him home,he was 12 weeks last Saturday and weighed 10.9kg,I am really surprised how quickly he is gaining weight and growing in height:)

Is he An XL american bully or an American bulldog .......:)

Xl american bully. He's 8 weeks old. He's happy healthy no issues at the vets. I got him some new dry food recommended on there 130g a day

This is Bruno

Attachments

• Snapchat-1546438938.jpg
    Snapchat-1546438938.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 408
Lovely pup! What a face :)
They are quite popular here, and while I have no idea what’s considered normal or large or small, I can say that in my experience they vary greatly in size.

Great looking puppy, enjoy!

He is gorgeous. ..so pleased he still has his ears intact ...there have been a few in rescue lately with cropped ears ....love his name

IMG_6339.JPG
jackie1DSCF3493a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6339.JPG
    IMG_6339.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Xl american bully. He's 8 weeks old. He's happy healthy no issues at the vets. I got him some new dry food recommended on there 130g a day
Vets will recommend dry food that they sell as they make big commissions from this ...it is not neccessarily the best food for your dog :rolleyes:

Vets will recommend dry food that they sell as they make big commissions from this ...it is not neccessarily the best food for your dog :rolleyes:

I will never chop his ears wouldn't do that to his . Aww no didn't get it from the vets I got it from the pet shop same brand of wet food he was on but just the dry version

They crop their ears when they are days old ....its supposed to make them look fierce. .although illegal in this country some people still crop them or import them from abroad where .it is still illegal ..the red boy in first pic is also blind ...:(

What food are you feeding:)
Bruno is absolutely gorgeous:)

He is incredibly cute!:)

Are you feeding the regular or large breed Wainwright's:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back