The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

an interview of Rob Alleyne, by DVM "Dr Cat" of PetStreet

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I came across this clip when looking for info on Mr Alleyne, after a new-puppy owner posted that they'd be training their pup in classes offered [by him? / at his facility?].
It has an interesting premise - justifying punishment by painting reward-training as "permissive".

TITLE: Robert Alleyne on 'Puppy classes & "dog experts" -
an interview with DVM Catherine a-k-a Dr Cat, of PetStreet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_HibXpx5jA

Early on, she asks how he got into dog training & dog behavior; shortly thereafter, he & DVM Cat agree that in both their experience as animal pros over recent years, dogs are increasingly badly-behaved AND "increasingly aggressive" - allegedly, dogs bite more often, & it's implied that they also bite with less provocation.

Where are the stats to back this up? - I haven't seen them.

QUOTE, beginning at 1:35 -
"In the last 20 years, there's been a real move away from ever saying 'no', don't punish -- ppl, dogs, anything - U're supposed to ignore the wrong behavior, & only reward the right behavior.  
But what we forget is that dogs are naturally warning animals,  they're animals who do say, 'I don't like this, & i want U to stop it', & i think that the less U say that, the more U try to say to the dog that it's OK, this is not an animal [who] appreciates [that sentiment], so U can't say, 'if i'm really nice to U, U're supposed to be nice back'.
What the dog will often do is say, 'Well, U're just very weak, aren't U?, so I'll just do whatever i like -- If i run away, well, U just wait till i come back, & give me a biscuit.'
So what's the incentive to not run away?"
[ends 2:14]

He's claiming that the supposed increase in dog-aggro is BECAUSE we supposedly act like weak chumps, & dogs take advantage of our perceived weakness.
I do not think dogs are Machiavellian plotters - dogs are smart, but they are not vindictive, don't form conspiracies, & don't arrange underground meetings thru coded messages on MeetUp-dot-com.

What do U think? - Are dogs more aggro now, do they bite "more than they used to"? -- & if so, when was that, when dogs bit less, or bit rarely?

I also don't agree with Mr Alleyne & Dr Cat that dogs are any  'more aggressive' toward ppl than they were previously; I **do**  OTOH, think that humans are a lot less animal-savvy than they used to be, & I **do** think this contributes to ppl doing stoopid things that dogs will naturally dislike or resent.   IMO, back when we traveled by horse & carriage or steam train, ppl knew better than to do these irritating or intrusive acts, because the majority of folks lived on farms, with livestock & wildlife around them, easily observed every day.

Even many of the cosmopolitan city-dwellers of the 1860s / 1900s grew-up on farms, or had relatives on farms - & in the city, they saw horses daily; they were everywhere. Horses moved freight & trams & hansom cabs & the delivery carts & door-to-door sales wagons - the milkman, fish peddler, rag-&-bone cart, greengrocer, baker's van, the tinker to repair pots, all came by horse-drawn wagon. Dogs were also everywhere in cities of the Industrial Revolution - they ran free in the streets, stole food, fought, mated, were hit by carriages & kicked by passersby.

the Industrial Revolution began the process of separating us from other species; even domestic species such as chickens that practically everyone had, moved away from us, & became exotic.
Nowadays, pets - mostly dogs & cats, but other domestics & exotics, too - are the only animals most folk see often, & if they do not live with pets of their own, they do not know them well. :( A video on the web or a TV show is not seeing the animal in the flesh, watching --- as they react to U, to changing circs, to a startling event.

Are dogs more aggressive?  - Are ppl more ignorant of nonhumans? -- or are both true, or neither?
 - terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back