The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anorexia & Mirtazapine....it’s complicated!

Shari

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, new here out of necessity!
My rather nervous JR terrier has developed Anorexia.
This is probably due to the fact that about 6 weeks ago he swallowed a stone, but after being very uncomfortable and in pain, managed to pass it.
This has the added complication of having an already present cruciate injury that he was recovering from and also on Loxicom.
Several weeks on his appetite had become so diminished that I had him X-rayed and scanned. Nothing showed indicated an obstruction, although he had a slightly raised temp. So it was suggested he possibly had an infection, so on anti-bs at present.
We are wondering whether the anorexia is due to remembered pain and association with eating, or possibly an ulcer ( Loxicom is prone to do this )
He is very peculiar, will take some food ( usually certain treats and refuse all else)
It has become very stressful trying to feed him, he will eat occasionally out of the hand, and take a few mouthfuls then refuse any more.
He’s only 5 and I’m really thinking how this is likely to pan out
He is now on his second day of the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine, which is increasing his appetite but unfortunately making him very agitated and vocal.
Any suggestions or similar experiences ???
Feeling very worried ☹️

Having had a dog that developed eating aversion (for very different reasons) the only thing I can offer is to try feeding in another setting- my boy wouldn't eat ANYTHING from me at home in the usual places- we took him out to the pub (dog friendly!) with us and the barman without a word handed him a treat they kept behind the bar- just a bog-standard meaty treat- which he ate almost without thinking. After that we stopped trying at home and went out on picnics. I remember the junk food and how we were thrilled to get it down him. We ate egg sandwiches, he ate a pork pie under the table...
Of course none of this will be much good of he has an underlying physical problem so you'll have to keep pursuing that too. Good luck with him.

Having had a dog that developed eating aversion (for very different reasons) the only thing I can offer is to try feeding in another setting- my boy wouldn't eat ANYTHING from me at home in the usual places- we took him out to the pub (dog friendly!) with us and the barman without a word handed him a treat they kept behind the bar- just a bog-standard meaty treat- which he ate almost without thinking. After that we stopped trying at home and went out on picnics. I remember the junk food and how we were thrilled to get it down him. We ate egg sandwiches, he ate a pork pie under the table...
Of course none of this will be much good of he has an underlying physical problem so you'll have to keep pursuing that too. Good luck with him.
Thank

Thanks for that what was the outcome?
We are thinking that it's becoming psychological and an association with pain as he's on several lots of meds ATM to cover possible reasons.
I will try feeding him in different locations , my other dog ( his father) sometimes encourages him to eat, as it's a case of 'I don't want it but I don't want you having it' this isn't always the case though. It's so upsetting and I realise that he must be picking up on my frustration!

The poor lad - could the meds themselves be making him feel unwell? None come without at least some potential side effects.

Have you tried cooking something really tantalisingly lovely - e.g. roast/fried chicken, or stinky fish? I'd still try it in different settings, or even leave it lying around on a 'human' plate as if it's not really his. Just possibly, moving from 'they want me to eat this' to 'woo hoo, I get to nick human food!' might motivate him more.

Will try a different technique. Have him eat chicken one minute then next day refuse it, seems to follow a pattern. Tried egg, tuna, ham, beef and the same thing happens, I have to let hubby try now as I get so frustrated and just want my normal dog back.
He's on meds for ulcers so think the Anti bs which he's going to be on for another 4 days shouldn't be causing him that much of a problem. Only time will tell

Ultimately, if he has to have different foods on every day of the week, he can at least get a varied diet. I can imagine how frustrating it must be though. Is it possible to give him supplements in tablet or liquid form just so you know he's getting what he needs? As you recognise, anything that helps you relax more will benefit him.

The others have given great advice, I have little to add apart from antibiotics can unbalance the gut flora so a probiotic might help if you can get him to take it. I don't know if these things will tempt him but good sources include raw green tripe and live yoghurt.

I have some frozen tripe I've bought to try, I've never ever fed tripe before so do I just defrost and feed when it's room temp? No doubt it will be fed to the crows

@excuseme or @JudyN will be able to advise - I don't know if freezing affects the helpful bacteria (I'm afraid I just use yoghurt which is not so good; but for the sake of my marriage - well, you know how it is!)

Yes, just defrost and feed - or even feed it frozen if he likes it. I suspect the bacteria survive freezing as freezing doesn't in general kill bacteria.

Whatever you do, though, don't defrost it in the microwave or even think of cooking it. It stinks to high heaven even without that extra encouragement!

When Harri had anorexia from a drug reaction, the only way I could get him to eat was hand feeding from what he thought was my plate. I could normally get a few pieces of roast chicken down him that way. He'd also take a few pieces of sausage. Nowhere near enough but it was better than nothing. I would also put a bowl of stock down (usually chicken and veg, no salt) and he'd usually drink it all. Again he was getting some nutrients at least.

It was a very worrying time. I hope his appetite returns soon

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back