The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any Advice.

harryjay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

Our 5 month old Whippet/Greyhound has become so disobedient and domineering that it's getting beyond a joke. Up to now he's been reasonably obedient , sit , lie down, come and stay have been passable but have now gone out the window. We're starting re-training but it's slow going.

One thing I have noticed he's become a lot more affectionate towards us, having been quite distant. I work full time but my wife is at home all day, admittedly with a 1 year old baby,equally demanding so please don't all shout at me. The dog isn't particularly food orientated but is a moocher. Any advice PLEASE. (PS He's Cryptorchid)

check out the thread 'demoting digit' :thumbsup: urchin is following the advice in a book about how to put her dog in his place. its very funny, and in following the advice, digits behaviour is improving :D

good luck :luck:

harryjay said:
Hi everyone, Our 5 month old Whippet/Greyhound has become so disobedient and domineering that it's getting beyond a joke. Up to now he's been reasonably obedient , sit , lie down, come and stay have been passable but have now gone out the window. We're starting re-training but it's slow going.

One thing I have noticed he's become a lot more affectionate towards us, having been quite distant. I work full time but my wife is at home all day, admittedly with a 1 year old baby,equally demanding so please don't all shout at me. The dog isn't particularly food orientated but is a moocher.  Any advice PLEASE. (PS He's Cryptorchid)

Hi are you going to get him neutered? If he is cryptorchid then he will need to be.

Is he using the affection as a way of getting you to forget about the bad behaviour? I guess you praise the good things he does and seriously ignore him when he does not do something you want, even if he comes for a cuddle you need to blank him. This works on my 6 year old child!! using the same theories on my pup and have on all my other dogs.

One trick i have used that worked really well - is when you feed him, take the bowl of food and you sit at the table and pretend to eat from it. This is supposed to make it look like you are dominant male and you are giving him the left overs.

Let me know how it goes.

Jem

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back