The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any ideas for fussy puppy?

Cath S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So my puppy has been on chicken and rice for what seems like ages. We tried to ween him off several times without success. We do this very slowly but he either develops an intolerance to the new food or more recently won’t eat the new food and picks out the chicken only and leaves the new food. I am at a loss. He is 9 months old and should be on 2 meals a day but due to acid reflux he is being fed (or trying to) 4 times a day. So back to square one we go with just chicken
and rice. Does anybody have any ideas? I try not to give in and take the food after 20 mins if not eaten but he is particularly bad in the mornings and will go over 12 hours with no food and invariably be sick! It’s not good for his health. Should I see the vet to rule other things out? Thanks

I should point out that he wants to eat anything I have - just not his own food

I'm pretty sure we've mentioned raw feeding and that's not a route that would be right for you or him (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Have you looked for recipes for home-cooked dog food? I'm wondering if you could cook roast chicken, gravy, potatoes and veg for yourself, so he sees it as your food, and give him some of that (the gravy should be salt-free). Then you carry on the pretence, gradually adjusting 'his' portion to make it healthier for him, and hopefully end up being able to drop the pretence. Balancing a home-cooked diet for dogs isn't straightforward so do some research - you might want to add a supplement. At least it should be healthier than just chicken and rice.

Having said that, if there's any chance that there is anything else the vet could test for, it would probably be worth doing.

Sorry, just need to clarify - is the food he is reluctant to eat the same as, or similar to, the one that made him unwell? I wonder if he associates the two. It might be worth trying a food with a different texture, like semi dry. I like Platinum, it has a strong smell and taste (yes, I have tasted it, I’m weird) which appeals to a lot of dogs. They will send you some samples if you contact them. And, my dog eats better if I ask him to earn his lunch through training, tricks, general obedience rewards.

https://www.platinum.co.uk/Products/Dry-Dog-Food/

I'm pretty sure we've mentioned raw feeding and that's not a route that would be right for you or him (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Have you looked for recipes for home-cooked dog food? I'm wondering if you could cook roast chicken, gravy, potatoes and veg for yourself, so he sees it as your food, and give him some of that (the gravy should be salt-free). Then you carry on the pretence, gradually adjusting 'his' portion to make it healthier for him, and hopefully end up being able to drop the pretence. Balancing a home-cooked diet for dogs isn't straightforward so do some research - you might want to add a supplement. At least it should be healthier than just chicken and rice.

Having said that, if there's any chance that there is anything else the vet could test for, it would probably be worth doing.
Thank you. You are correct about the raw. I will research some home cooked food but not going to lie - was hoping for something with a little less work - I work quite long hours so don’t always get the chance to cook full meals for myself.

Sorry, just need to clarify - is the food he is reluctant to eat the same as, or similar to, the one that made him unwell? I wonder if he associates the two. It might be worth trying a food with a different texture, like semi dry. I like Platinum, it has a strong smell and taste (yes, I have tasted it, I’m weird) which appeals to a lot of dogs. They will send you some samples if you contact them. And, my dog eats better if I ask him to earn his lunch through training, tricks, general obedience rewards.

Thanks. It was kibble but completely different one but he has been eating it for the past 3 weeks with no issue. Will have a look at platinum.

but he has been eating it for the past 3 weeks with no issue.
That rules out my theory then. Have you tried adding some warm water to bring out the aroma?

That rules out my theory then. Have you tried adding some warm water to bring out the aroma?
I haven’t - maybe I should. I did find some other kibble in a treat pouch and fed him a few bits of it - I then threw in a random piece of his current kibble and he spat it straight out. It’s obviously the current kibble that he doesn’t like but struggling to remember what the other kibble was!

Have you tried feeding just twice a day, at 9 months even just one meal a day should be fine. Maybe you are expecting him to eat more food than he actually needs and this could be his way of adjusting quantities. We have a nine month old at the moment and one meal is quiet adequate for her needs. Her rapid growth has finished and maintenance rations are are all she needs. She is an active youngster and comes on the same walks as our adults, I can adjust the size of her meal daily if needed, she is not a greedy feeder, her weight and body condition are good.

Have you tried feeding just twice a day, at 9 months even just one meal a day should be fine.

I think it was suggested to feed this dog little and often because of his tummy troubles.

Ah ha, that's my fault for trying to read through too fast.

I think it was suggested to feed this dog little and often because of his tummy troubles.
Yes you are correct - he has to be fed 4 small meals a day for his acid reflux.

If he is healthy enough on the chicken and rice and it is keeping his reflux under control could you not keep him on that ..

If he is healthy enough on the chicken and rice and it is keeping his reflux under control could you not keep him on that ..
I have been told it’s not a long term solution and should be on a complete food.

Interestingly enough - I have just added some warm water to his 4pm feed and he didn’t exactly rush to the bowl but he did eventually and ate about 80% of it. Progress I guess?

Sounds promising. If you are cooking meat or fish for yourself you could keep the juices, freeze them in an ice cube tray and defrost to add as needed.

Reactions: RGC

So I ordered some samples of Platinum food and he loves it. I am just a little worried as they say to go straight into it without transitioning. If I mix it with his current food (which he is still not eating) it can cause more problems. Did you go straight into it and did your dog have any repercussions?

I did go straight to it, but that was largely because I had a serious problem with the food that he had been eating, coinciding with a visit to Crufts where I’d been given some Platinum sample bags. He didn’t have a problem, but that said, he doesn’t have the sensitive tummy your dog has.

I’m glad he likes it!

So my puppy has been on chicken and rice for what seems like ages. We tried to ween him off several times without success. We do this very slowly but he either develops an intolerance to the new food or more recently won’t eat the new food and picks out the chicken only and leaves the new food. I am at a loss. He is 9 months old and should be on 2 meals a day but due to acid reflux he is being fed (or trying to) 4 times a day. So back to square one we go with just chicken
and rice. Does anybody have any ideas? I try not to give in and take the food after 20 mins if not eaten but he is particularly bad in the mornings and will go over 12 hours with no food and invariably be sick! It’s not good for his health. Should I see the vet to rule other things out? Thanks

My puppy also has acid reflux and is very fussy eater. Like you, my puppy is on 3/4 meals a day. I have found if his last meal is 6 ish, then half a dental stick in his crate a bed time, this has mainly got rid of the vomit on waking. Also, I go down at 7, even if he is asleep before potential vomit. I heat some chicken stock(real - we make and store/freeze), the smell gets his taste buds going. I then add some chicken to boring kibbles and dog food. mix all up and literally take to his crate and hold to entice him. I find essential to get some food in to stop him being sick. I know if it is smelly=yummy, if I can persuade him two mouthfuls, the rest will follow. Then another successful day of no reflux. Hopefully this may help you. As to fussy eater, yes I have set myself up for a bit of extra work. Cooking up a chicken, boiling up the carcass for a few hours and draining stocks off and picking off meat from what husband doesn't wish to eat. If I haven't got chicken, I put a dessert spoon of raw mince beef in a dish with a few table spoons of water and microwave. That I do the same with, mix well or yes he will pick the good bits. wafted under his nose I find he will eat more. Also I use sardines and tuna particularly with spring water as use the water like a cold stock. My puppy is a giant breed and skinny one and he needs to eat well to grow and have reserves if ever ill. So this may set you up with hard work but I believe could be successful.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back