The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any Ideas With Dog Who Has A Itchy Head?

midlanderkeith

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ok its not often i ask for help, but the the problem is with jill, whenever possible she will weave in and out my legs just to scratch her head, she also seems to shake her head quite often, this week she has been wormed, and treated for fleas, in the beginning when she was a pup, she developed one or 2 bald patches, i had her to the vets, he did skin scrapings which proved negative, also shampoo, her coat is now immaculate, funnily enough ive just received from my vet, a newsletter and it mentions itchy skin and face rubbing, so what im asking is this, if she had an allergy, would this have show up on the skin scrapings she has had.

Thanks

keith :thumbsup:

Have you treated her for earmites Keith? :- "

Hey Keith

Did the vet check for ear mites? I know that when one of mine had ear mites he would rub his head against me and shake his head a lot. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

boothros said:
Have you treated her for earmites Keith? :- "
Thanks for the quick reply Boothros, and Lynn, yes i have bought some stuff from the pet shop for ear mites, but perhaps stuff from the vets maybe more stronger, what did you use Lynn, and thanks once again

keith

When i checked inside his ear there was quite a lot of black stuff in there, his ear was quite inflamed aswell. So I took him to the vets and she took a scraping. She then let me see under the microscope and you could see one of the mites crawling around in there. Another symptom is an icky smell coming from the ears. The stuff the vet gave me was canaural...after a few days on that he stopped shaking his head and rubbing his ears. Then after two weeks we had a check up and he was cleared of them. Id go back to the vet and ask them to take a swab of the ear to check for mites. Hope this helps Keith.

Lynn-Alexandria said:
When i checked inside his ear there was quite a lot of black stuff in there, his ear was quite inflamed aswell.  So I took him to the vets and she took a scraping.  She then let me see under the microscope and you could see one of the mites crawling around in there.  Another symptom is an icky smell coming from the ears.  The stuff the vet gave me was canaural...after a few days on that he stopped shaking his head and rubbing his ears.  Then after two weeks we had a check up and he was cleared of them.  Id go back to the vet and ask them to take a swab of the ear to check for mites.  Hope this helps Keith.
Well i can honestly say Lynn that jills ears are spotlessly clean and also smell ok, never the less, i will take her back to the vets to get her checked out, hope youve helped you say, yes you have, ta

keith

Sounds like nettle rash/allergy to me (I have 1 the same problem) ..........I use 2.5 mls of Piriton syrup ......but thats just my humble opinion .......... :D

anything you buy from pet shop will not work- waste of money! they dont have licences to include the drugs that actually kill pesties- so they dont!

maggymills said:
anything you buy from pet shop will not work- waste of money! they dont have licences to include the drugs that actually kill pesties- so they dont!
Well funny you should say that, ive been thinking along those lines for a while now,thing is my vets closed with it being Easter, only open for emergencies, so i suppose once they reopen i will take jill to see him get her sorted out, poor bugger isnt getting any peace.

keith

Poor little Jill hope she feels better soon. :huggles:

Thought you where doing DIY this weekend. :- "

Paula Roberts said:
Poor little Jill hope she feels better soon. :huggles: Thought you where doing DIY this weekend. :- "

well ive just rung the vets, i have an 11 30 appointment tomorrow morning, now listen up mrs roberts, lol, my diy job was done whilst you was festering in ya pit this morning :- "

think on no offence meant

midlanderkeith said:
Paula Roberts said:
Poor little Jill hope she feels better soon. :huggles: Thought you where doing DIY this weekend. :- "

well ive just rung the vets, i have an 11 30 appointment tomorrow morning, now listen up mrs roberts, lol, my diy job was done whilst you was festering in ya pit this morning :- "

think on no offence meant

And by the way, lucky you having mark bring u breakfast in bed

:- "

(w00t) that must be another Mrs Roberts, 11 whippets dont let you stay in bed not even on a holiday.

As for breakfast in bed. by the time i"ve done all the dogs its dinner time. (w00t)

Any pics of your DIY job then. :thumbsup:

hope jill gets some peace and it gets sorted soon :unsure: :thumbsup:

sounds like earmites to me too keith.

Good luck at the vets , let us know :luck: :luck:

whippynit said:
sounds like earmites to me too keith.Good luck at the vets , let us know  :luck:   :luck:

Hey up whippy hows you, well you must be reading my mind cos ive just logged on to let you all know how we went on at the vets this morning, well yes indeed it was mites, and heres me priding myself that amongst other things i like to keep jills ears clean, but when my vet allowed me into the depths of her lug holes, dear me there was an army of the buggers, £36 pounds worth, :( anti biotics, some other tablets, and the ear drops, but as maggymills says, the stuff from the pet shop is a complete waste of time, anyway there u go, and thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated.

:cheers:

keith

Strike Whippets said:
Sounds like nettle rash/allergy to me (I have 1 the same problem) ..........I use 2.5 mls of Piriton syrup ......but thats just my humble opinion .......... :D

i would agree with you ,lots of animals suffer in the coming summer months ,our friends horse does ,and trying pirition or something along those lines hopefully will sort the problem for you

:( aw poor Jill, Ella sends her love, glad you'll be rid of them by her birthday. Madame has been pretty quiet with her first season, just over 1/2 way now, it's awful not being able to let her run off lead, but when she goes to work with Paul she's been able to run free on the beach if he drives to Wales when there's no one else around.

Happy Easter to all at Jills' house, from all at Ellas' house :huggles:

Julie D said:
:( aw poor Jill, Ella sends her love, glad you'll be rid of them by her birthday. Madame has been pretty quiet with her first season, just over 1/2 way now, it's awful not being able to let her run off lead, but when she goes to work with Paul she's been able to run free on the beach if he drives to Wales when there's no one else around.Happy Easter to all at Jills' house, from all at Ellas' house  :huggles:

Sorry Julie ive only just read your message, Ellas first season is it, no signs of jill coming on yet, doesnt seem 5 mins since i drove down to Russ to bring her home, and now shes nearly 12 months old, hers fast asleep on my bed at the mo, and im glad to say her ears are clearing up, hope u r enjoying Easter

keith

maggymills said:
Strangley enough some of the products pet shops sell have the same ingredients as the pharmacy/vet stuff that I sell :blink: Check the ingredients on the product you have been given against some pet shop stuff and you may get a surprise!! ....However the VMD are on to it and soon some stuff will have to be licenced :) If youre not sure then give me a ring and I'll check it in the compendium thing I get :D ........(sometimes makes me wonder why I took the exams though :angry: )

Anyway pleased you got to the bottom of it :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back