The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any one out there

dawn

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is there anyone out there?

This board is a lot more complicated than the old one but surely there is some one else out there intersted in showing!

Will we see any of you at Crufts?

people do seem a bit shy...I suppose it's what they're used to.

Hi Dawn

Well I'm here anyway ;)

Yes, both Judy and myself will be going to Crufts - quite a lot of the racing poeple go every year.

Judy has just had this (rather good) idea that we produce some badges - with k9community on them or something like that - to wear at Crufts. That way we might put some faces to people here. Let's face it I bet we couldn't recognise everyone from their avatars :biggrin:

What does everyone think? We could produce them and snail mail them out or produce some artwork here for people to print their own.

Nigel

Nigel I am totally in agreement with the buttons/badges as it would be nice to face the members of the board.

Beejay who is judging @NWA open and when and where is it? If it is easily accessible and the judge is OK yes otherwise a frayed knot. As for NWA champ show who is Sue Bealey?

I'll be at Crufts this year!

Sue Bealey has the Laurelcote affix. She has blues, blacks & fawns. Is that any help?

Hi Emma

Nice to hear from you again. How is the showing going?

Sue Bealey's fawns, blues and blacks explains why we Northerners don't know her!   ;)

Any info on the NWA open? :biggrin:

Hi Dawn,

Showing is going quite well with Hero. Folly my little fawn boy is quite overshot so he probably won't be shown after he's 18 months.

No more info on the NWA.

Emma.

Barbara,

I suspect you'll have your 3rd Whippet (maybe blue) within 18 months!!<G>

Hi Everyone,

This is a bit like the Prisoner,  remember?,  we're No 47 I gather.  Is there a true national colour divide amongst whippets?  We have three, two northerners, a brindle (Rowangarth)  and parti, thanks to Richard and Dawn at Aphrael,  plus a Bluestreak fawn.  Where are the blues and blacks?:confused:

I'm in East Anglia & I have a blue/brindle parti-colour boy & a fawn boy. Within the next few weeks I'll be getting a blue or fawn puppy! A friend of mine has a litter of 9 puppies all blue except for one little fawn girl!

Emma.

At a  V  E  R  Y   broad stroke the majority of brindles are Northern dogs. The majority of fawns are Southern. Blues and Blacks tend to be from specific kennels mainly South BUT there are MANY major exceptions to all of  the above.

From our Aphrael's last three litters 12 dogs bred that are now 'out-there'  with 4 fawn 5 brindle and 3 parti's.

There are few judges who would express a bias towards one particular colour BUT looking at their judging there is an APPARENT bias. Most breed judges will judge to type ie the final line-up will all be of a very similar type and this can appear biased towards a particular point eg colour.

Richard did hear one, now well known, southern exhibitor state that he would NEVER put up a brindle as whippets should be only fawn. No we will not name him!!

But he does judge at top level now.

As a further point what has happened to the white whippet which was quite common as recently as the 70s and even 80s?

There certainly seem to be more blacks and blues in the south of England than in the north, but we have quite a good mix of colours in Scotland, Jessie McLeod (Peperone) has a black Champion (P.Pit a Pat)and the young black P.Photoplay who was the top winning puppy in the breed last year, Annette Skelley (Ringmore) has the only blue and white champion in the breed, (CH.R.Thief of Time)and is currently showing with some success the young blue dog, R.Zadok, who will also start his racing career this year, she also has a black bitch who raced very successfully last year, winning the trophy for best youngster with the SPWRC.  I also have blacks, Bank Kiwi and her son Bruntsfield Dark Rum, who will I hope be shown this year.

Of course the North of England is home to Mary Lowe's Nimrodel kennel , always some good blacks and blues here, including a black Ch. Nimrodel...?  and the blue N. Heaven Sent,and until recently the late Ch.N.Noir.Also Jackie Norman's Jarmanes  are Blackpool based, she has J.Dusky Dreamer, a blue dog who has won C.C.s, and several younger blues.  Apologies to anyone I have left out.

So  blacks and blues do exist in the north of Britain!

Hi Liz

Your message reinforces what we said in that there is no definite distinction between N&S show whippets. There is a tendency but no more than that. I would even go so far as to say there are some southern dogs that are quite nice, and some northern dogs that we wouldn't give houseroom to (so to speak). Then again does the geographical location make a dog a Northen type or a Southern type.

A good whippet SHOULD win regardless of geographical location but we all know that that is not necessarily the case.

Thank you Barbara, of course I meant N.No Angel, I had a mental blank for a moment, and  posted the message before I had time to think!

Liz

Hi Dawn, tried to reply to you before but couldnt get a password as I put the wrong Email Address!!! Will be at Crufts at with Rory but Indy(silkstone Mystic) will still be being naughty with the girls in Belguim. See you there Jan  

Jan

Wondered where you'd gone :biggrin: and its nice to see you, to see you nice. Just a quicky, how are the babies now? Ours are all gone cept the two we're running on. Trouble with them is they are now ten weeks and have the ten week puppy syndrome :confused:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back