The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any suggestions on keeping a leg dressing on?

Flobo

Registered
Partner
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
One of my regular boarders had a tumour removed from his inner thigh, cut a long story short, he had complications on top of complications and now has a skin graft partially covering the wound and part open wound. It is healing but obviously needs to stay covered, the vets and nurses are amazing but every dressing tried starts to slip, the best one that didn't was wrapped over his torso but being male it also had to part cover his willy, which although he could pee, albeit with an altered flow(god knows what the neighbours think me standing in front garden,head down inspecting a dogs urine flow, actually they probably wouldn't bat an eyelid, but) he also leaked a bit because of the positioning which we don't want near an open wound... tonight, after seeing that this one is starting to slip, he has the dressing held up with bandage that is attached either side of tubigrip over the dressing and up his back to his lampshade collar..but the dressing underneath I can see has become unattached and is starting to move. (I'm taking him back in morning obviously) but I was thinking dress and wrap the whole leg, over his hips and then wrap the top of his good leg to act as an anchor as such?? And yes at home his movement is restricted to bed and toilet to minimize more problems. Has anyone got any other thoughts / ideas I can run past them in the morning?? He is largish, a weimerarner/lab cross..and a total sweetheart..

@JoanneF , thankyou, that would cover and protect the area well, but it's keeping the actual dressing in place that is problematic:(. Am just back now and we've tried the wrap going over hips and being anchored to his other leg and also anchored along his back to collar because the first trial slipped straight off over his tail not 50 yards from vets!! It's kind of staying put just having to fix it regularly as still managing to slip on the good leg sideo_O, but at least the actual dressing side, that is well wrapped, is staying put.. but thanks anyway:)

I don't suppose a liquid spray-on bandage would do the job, would it? I know they exist, but have no idea of their pros & cons and their suitability for different types of wound.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back