The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anyone Else Got A Teckel?

~Annie~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was just reading Keith Edmunds article on Teckels and Dachshunds in Countrymans. We've had proper Teckels (from Scandinavian imports) and UK show bred mini wires for years (currently down to one, an elderly epileptic mini wire). I get the impression Keith Edmunds is thinking that his 9mth old dogs behaviour is pretty much how it will stay and I was just wondering if others have shared my experience that Teckels and Dachshunds only really mature behaviourally much later than that. The dog described in Countrymans is a Dachshund not a Teckel, but I've found both to be much feistier and less reserved at 18 mths than at 9mths. Only dog I've ever had to rehome (with a pet owning friend) was a working (ratting/bushing) Teckel who at 2 started behaving as if whippets (well Finn) were as tasty as rats ... firiest dog I've ever owned was Tolly the Teckel, but you wouldn't have guessed at 9mths that he'd be like that !!

Annie I had never heard of a Teckel so I Googled them. Here is one I found being used as a table.

Teckel.jpg

Annie I had never heard of a Teckel so I Googled them. Here is one I found being used as a table.
Teckel.jpg
Lmao!!! I think the potted plant is some sort of hint at it bein an earth dog ? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading Keith Edmunds article on Teckels and Dachshunds in Countrymans. We've had proper Teckels (from Scandinavian imports) and UK show bred mini wires for years (currently down to one, an elderly epileptic mini wire). I get the impression Keith Edmunds is thinking that his 9mth old dogs behaviour is pretty much how it will stay and I was just wondering if others have shared my experience that Teckels and Dachshunds only really mature behaviourally much later than that. The dog described in Countrymans is a Dachshund not a Teckel, but I've found both to be much feistier and less reserved at 18 mths than at 9mths. Only dog I've ever had to rehome (with a pet owning friend) was a working (ratting/bushing) Teckel who at 2 started behaving as if whippets (well Finn) were as tasty as rats ... firiest dog I've ever owned was Tolly the Teckel, but you wouldn't have guessed at 9mths that he'd be like that !!
Do they have a actual use other than bushing+flushing. are they capable and game enough to do the job properly..

Do they have a actual use other than bushing+flushing. are they capable and game enough to do the job properly..
Well their tracking ability is pretty darn good, but I doubt that's what you're getting at. Capable and game enough ... always, in my admittedly fairly limited experience :thumbsup:

I had two mini dachshunds . They certainly became more feisty as they matured ! My wire haired mini was the nicer natured of the two .

My mini smooth was a more typical dachshund I think . She was very feisty and great at training cheeky whippet pups ! I loved her to bits and still miss her . Funnily enough my wire haired mini was epileptic too :wacko:

(w00t) never seen a dog that small before.
HaHaPeople.gif
:thumbsup: di
In the USA they breed mini mini's ... to about 6lb ... suppose you could maybe use them for moth hunting (w00t)
No better still, a spider killer, (only the bloody big ones) :lol: my sodding dogs just play with them... :rant: the muppets. :lol: di

Whats the point of a dog that size, :blink: what can you do with it,? :- No don't answer that, i might get reported again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: di

I had two mini dachshunds . They certainly became more feisty as they matured ! My wire haired mini was the nicer natured of the two .My mini smooth was a more typical dachshund I think . She was very feisty and great at training cheeky whippet pups ! I loved her to bits and still miss her . Funnily enough my wire haired mini was epileptic too :wacko:
I've just read this and i'm wondering if that was the problem with my mums jack russell,(who's dead and gone now) bless him, :( but he was rough coated, tan and white, nasty little bugger with other dogs,(but that was my mums doing) :angry: she wouldn't listen. :clown: any way back to Sam, he was crossed with a dachshund and also suffered with fits, :( it killed him in the end. :( just wondering after reading this if there was maybe a link between the two. :b :thumbsup: good post, started as a bit of a joke for me, and i ended up learning something. :thumbsup: di

I had two mini dachshunds . They certainly became more feisty as they matured ! My wire haired mini was the nicer natured of the two .My mini smooth was a more typical dachshund I think . She was very feisty and great at training cheeky whippet pups ! I loved her to bits and still miss her . Funnily enough my wire haired mini was epileptic too :wacko:
I've just read this and i'm wondering if that was the problem with my mums jack russell,(who's dead and gone now) bless him, :( but he was rough coated, tan and white, nasty little bugger with other dogs,(but that was my mums doing) :angry: she wouldn't listen. :clown: any way back to Sam, he was crossed with a dachshund and also suffered with fits, :( it killed him in the end. :( just wondering after reading this if there was maybe a link between the two. :b :thumbsup: good post, started as a bit of a joke for me, and i ended up learning something. :thumbsup: di
Do you know if the dachshund was smooth, long or wire coated?? Mini wires have a huge problems with myoclonic epilepsy, it's estimated that 25% of them now carry the gene :(

God i can't remember, :b i never saw the parents, my mum had a pup from the litter and so do my sister,. Sisters was smooth coated, just your normal jack russell, (mostly white with the odd brown spot) :p he had to be put to sleep because he bit her children several times in the face., :( (better fit it bit my bloody sister) :lol: . Mums dog was tan and white with a very wirery coat, very pretty, and long in the back. :- i just remember a conversation back then, that apparently they had dachshund in them, :eek: (just thought that was why he was so long in the back) it's a shame our scanner isan't working otherwise i would put some picture's up of him. :)

So do you think that could of been the reason he suffered with fits then?. Doesn't really matter now i suppose, ;) but still very interesting. :thumbsup: di

PS. I think they were just farm dogs advertised in the West Briton. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back