The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anyone got any thoughts on the BWRA proposals?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kipper fluke said:
Abuse???? John to my way of thinking and seeing it is all left hand runners should be in one race, all right hand runners in the other- then the dogs that run true and chase the lure should be in their own race. Why should anyone with a lure dog be penalised for what is supposed to be the idea of lure racing.i.e- to chase the lure and have the misfortune of having in your own words 'to be in the death trap.'Surely this is abuse of a true lure dog.................
:angry: STEVE WHEN I SAY ABUSE I MEAN RACING TACTICS, WHEN SAMSARA WAS RACING ANYBODY THAT SAW HER RACE NEW HOW WIDE RIGHT SHE USED TO RUN,NOW A CERTAIN PERSON WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELESS SAID IF YOU WANT TO BEAT HER PUT YOUR DOG AS A RIGHT HAND RUNNER AND HOPE SAMSARA DOES NOT GET THE OUTSIDE TRAP. AND IT STILL GOES ON NOW :angry:

It goes on a lot more now John, i've heard of a few people lately who are seeding out & out left hand runners on the right to knock the other dogs out!

The whole seeding thing is getting out of hand, i think it was steve who suggested a while back that dogs should be seeded at the beginning of the year & it put on their card & if they run opposite that seed more than twice they don'e get the option of seeding anymore - imo this is a brill idea!

Why not go back to the original racing rules "luck of the draw" because when all said and done if a race has say three right hand runners in it thats what happens anyway - although i guess when there are definite right/left hand runners seeding does help if only one dog in the race needs seeding but as i said its "luck of the draw" if your unfortunate enough to have a number of dogs all requiring seeding anyway.

As for inside seeding on bends surely unless your dog is an out and out wide runner most people would prefer inside - i would think!!!!!

As for seeding dogs deliberately to knock others out well i guess i want to believe most people who race, do so because they enjoy the sport and therefore should behave in a sporting manner. (OK maybe its not a perfect racing world but i can pretend :b :b )

Karen

Sadie i would tend to agree with the way you think about luck of the draw and also if a dog causes trouble whilst not following the path the lure takes I.E.just running either left or right i would disqualify it,having said that i have never had a dog that runs either left or right but i seed them as they all will chase the lure on the outside hare they are seeded outside on the inside they are seeded inside not for there benifit but to stop others from saying that my dog has interfeered with theirs bumping will always take place as in any racing look at horses or even people and you ill see that.But i dont see why those who run after he lure should be at a disadvantage just because they are true lure dogs surely it should be the others that are if any have to be. also drawing is fair and thats what many in this sport dont seem to want in any shape or form they seem intent on having to have the advantage at others expense. (my thoughs only )steve

:) STEVE YOU CAN"T COMPARE HORSE RACING TO DOG RACING A DOG DONT HAVE A JOCKEY ON ITS BACK ( MIND SOME OF THE DOGS I HAVE SEEN COULD ) LOL :D AND THERE IS ALLWAYS A FIRST TIME FOR YOU TO GET A DOG THAT REQUIRES A SIDE, WHY THEY CHOOSE TO RUN LEFT OR RIGHT I DONT KNOW, YOU CANT DISQUALIFY A DOG FOR TRYING TO GET ITS PREFERED SIDE,LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO PALOMA AGAINST SHOW THREE AT MURTON, WITH SHOW THREE BEING A RIGHT HAND RUNNER THATS PART OF RACING AS FAR AS IAM CONCERNED :(

I have owned a left hand runner and a severe right hand runner and both would go for there side before running to race speed. I was lucky enough that both dogs were able to go to there sides and still win races and they were chasing the lure because you could not get them off it at the end of the race. I have no idea why they ran to a side but I could not get them to stop doing it. In my opinion it makes sence to seed a left hand runner in the red trap and a right hand runner in the far right trap if possible that way it wont bump into other dogs while trying to find its side in their race giving all a clear run. If all seeded dogs are genuine wide runners there should not be a problem unless there is more than one but they will only bump each other. But if the luck of the draw was chosen to be the method I hope that dogs that then bump trying to find their side are not disqualified as it is not their fault or their owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok john if thats the case what is fair about lure dogs always (AND AGAIN YOUR OWN WORDS" HAVING TO GO IN THE DEATH TRAP") through others having seeded left or right this can not be classed as fair in even your book!!!!!!!!!! if they chase the lure they should follow the path it takes maybe we should go back to rag racing up tapes !! in order to get dogs that will run straight if they jumped the tape they were thrown out . and also whilst on the subject there was not many that needed muzzles !!! when they stopped rag racing they should have stopped all the walking up the tracks also as this takes all the time up and makes racing a lot longer than needed.rag racers had to catch the dog on the rag so they needed to walk up the track.steve

;) STEVE THIS SEEDING PROBLEM STARTED ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO MIGHT BE LONGER PEOPLE WHERE SAYING THERE DOGS WERE L/R HAND RUNNERS THIS ONLY HAPPENED AT CHAMPIONSHIPS ANY OTHER TIME AT A TOP TEN EVENT THEY NEVER PUT A SIDE DOWN,THE REASON WHY THEY DID WAS LIKE I SAID THEY DID NOT WANT TO BE DRAWN IN THE WHITE TRAP FOR OBVIOUS REASONS, SO THE GENUINE L/R HAND RUNNERS SUFFERED BY NOT GETTING THERE SIDE AND IN SOME CASES BEING DISQUALIFIED WHEN THEY SHOULD"NT HAVE :) LOOK AT THE CHAMPIONSHIP TAPE YOU CAN SEE WHAT I MEAN DOGS SEEDED LEFT GOING RIGHT AND VISE VERSA THEY ARE THE LURE DOGS.I WISH I HAD A DOG THAT RAN STRAIGHT UP THE TRACK AS THE WHITE TRAP IS NOW THE BEST TRAP TO BE IN ;)

Make you wonder why dogs prefer different sides of a track ...

my theory to this is: the same as why people are left and right handed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back