The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anyone had experience with Cytopoint inj for allergies

Sus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
After treatment with steroids and a month of oral Apoquell my dog (who is 10 yrs old) started on monthly Cytopoint injections for what my vet said was an environmental allergy.
I hate having to give her any type of treatment but the scratching and the scab like skin condition was so awful that the fact it has been resolved totally outweighs the side effects and cost of treatment
What I am asking is if anyone who has any experience of this treatment has seen their dog become complete scavengers. I do not know what to do.
Biddy was very overweight when I got her 20 months ago and it took a long time for me to reduce her weight (the vet wanted her to be 3kg but I struggled to get her to 3.2kg but this soon went up to 3.5kg where it has stayed)
I feed her twice a day and she has always been satisfied by that but now is in the kitchen scavenging every time I am cooking
I am giving her veg to fill her up between meals but she is wanting more and more. Is this related to the injections? would love to know if it is

I've no experience, but have had a good google and though there's very little mention of increased appetite, I did find a couple of people say their dogs' appetite had increased. Also, one website lists 'Either decreased appetite or, less commonly, increased appetite' as a rare side effect. Though the website (Bestie Paws Hospital) doesn't fill me with confidence.

I wonder if she's just feeling better and able to enjoy her food more?

Steroids certainly increase hunger with people, so it is probably the same with dogs.

Thanks for your replies, I will keep an eye on her for now, I am going to let her have one more injection,then try her without. 2 dog owners have told me that their dog had these injections as a temporary measure and that the alllergies never returned after stopping them. Fingers crossed that will happen for Biddy. I will just have to ignore her scavenging in the meantime though it is hard and I am always tempted to give her something but there is no way I am going to allow her to put all that weight back on. In a way I do hope it is the injections causing it as there may be a chance it will stop when the injections do

I give august a stick of cold celery when she is mooching- keeps her occupied for 10 minutes and seems to satisfy her need to eat - and almost no extra calories 😀

Thanks collette, will give that a go. She seems to like all veg but never tried celery before, hopefully it will take her a bit longer to eat

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back