The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Are there any good shop bought chews

Sus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a problem with my little mutts teeth
She has already had 12 tooth extractions due to plaque build up and bad diet (Ithink}
She will not let me clean her teeth, have also tried the finger tip option, she will not let me do much really
The vet has said there is a little bit of plaque build up again so I was adding plaque off to her food but could only do it once a day as I feed her twice but was adding stress relief to 2nd meal because of her stress and anxiety
That has already been messed up as I am now adding YouMove for dry flaking skin twice a day which was advised by the vet and has certainly worked
I have tried bones from the butcher (all types except for chicken which I am wary of)) and she wont entertain them
I have tried various dental option chews, the only ones she will chew and eat is Bakers which I assume are full of rubbish
I am hoping to change her to raw food in the future and may have more success with the bones then but in the meantime any suggestions of what I can get to keep plaque at bay

We use Skippers fish skin flatties. They take Timber a good 15 to 20 minutes to chew, they are firm enough to give him a good chomp but not so hard that he can't be bothered.

Paddywhack and ligaments are quite good too, trachea is popular but the stuff I got was very fatty which put me off.

Thanks JoanneF I will give the skippers fish skin a try and see if she will tolerate them
Her problems never seem to end, there is always something but I am hoping that if I can get her on the best diet then most of the problems may be eased

We use Skippers fish skin flatties. They take Timber a good 15 to 20 minutes to chew, they are firm enough to give him a good chomp but not so hard that he can't be bothered.

Paddywhack and ligaments are quite good too, trachea is popular but the stuff I got was very fatty which put me off.
Will have to give these a try (fish skin flatties) especially if they take time. I’ve bought stuff from a local pet shop which Mabel loves but I’m somewhat concerned at the hygiene aspect. I’ve seen that I can get Skippers products at Amazon. Are they also available in pet shops as I’d like to give the local economy first bash?

I have a problem with my little mutts teeth
She has already had 12 tooth extractions due to plaque build up and bad diet (Ithink}
She will not let me clean her teeth, have also tried the finger tip option, she will not let me do much really
The vet has said there is a little bit of plaque build up again so I was adding plaque off to her food but could only do it once a day as I feed her twice but was adding stress relief to 2nd meal because of her stress and anxiety
That has already been messed up as I am now adding YouMove for dry flaking skin twice a day which was advised by the vet and has certainly worked
I have tried bones from the butcher (all types except for chicken which I am wary of)) and she wont entertain them
I have tried various dental option chews, the only ones she will chew and eat is Bakers which I assume are full of rubbish
I am hoping to change her to raw food in the future and may have more success with the bones then but in the meantime any suggestions of what I can get to keep plaque at bay

How old is your little girl ?
Unfortunately with a lot of dogs it can take a while for them to learn to like a raw diet, especially if they have been conditioned to the kibbles for most of their lives. Whereas others take to the change without any hesitation at all.

Although it's a common myth that kibble is good for teeth, it is just a myth :(. In fact, most kibble is too small to do any good.
Kibble contains starches and fillers that break down into sugar contributing to plaque and bacteria build up.
Most of the man made shaped bones are as you have mentioned full of rubbish.
There are quiet a few natural animal body parts that are used for chews, I like the suggestion of the dried fish skins. Look for dried products but not cooked!

Your suggestion of a raw diet is probably the best for her but it may take a while for her to adjust. Flash fry or part boil/blanch, but leaving the inside still as pink as possible while adjusting her to the new raw product
Raw lamb and pork rib bones are very chewable, good for the teeth.
Raw chicken bones are very safe, they are soft and do not splinter.
The chickens that the bones and carcasses are from are just babies and only a few weeks old. It is when bones are cooked that problems arise.
They change from soft and safe to hard and brittle which then causes the splintering.:eek:

There is a lovely little book that I always suggest for newbie raw feeders.
"Honeys Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". Purchase from ebay or Amazon from £2.50, most of these books are new or unused.
This little book is easy to read and understand, I love it:rolleyes:

I’ve seen that I can get Skippers products at Amazon. Are they also available in pet shops as I’d like to give the local economy first bash?
I buy direct from Skippers, a kilo at a time (much cheaper).

Reactions: RGC
Thanks for that, JoanneF. As a trial I’ll just get the smallest amount (250g) to see whether Mabel enjoys them - we have (had) loads of treats going stale in her cupboard ’cos she went off them. If successful I’ll follow your lead by the kilo. Once again, thank you.

I've just seen an advertisement.

New customers with Sjippers can get a 30% discount. You need to email them for a code.

Thanks JoanneF, I placed an order with them yesterday and was supposed to have received a 25% off voucher code sent to me but it did not arrive. I did get 15% off. Anyway have emailed them.
Thanks for your reply Excuseme. She is 9yrs old and I have had her a year now, I know I am going to have to take it slowly with raw food. Think most of her life she has been overfed on human food. It took me a while to get her used to dog food and for her to lose weight. I feed 80% wet and 20% dry.
I have got the Honey's raw food book and after coming on here and reading the book it has convinced me that that is what she needs even if I was reluctant at first. Hopefully she will take to raw bones easily then

"Durham feeds", this months special offers! 10% off all natural treats.
All natural DRIED treats this month July.
Discount code; JULDNT23 at checkout.

I think I'll grab some of these for Rusty, too! We used to get Jimmy fish skin jerky from another supplier, might get some of those at some point.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back