The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

At Wot Age Should U Take Ur Lurcher For Its 1st La

longstone lass

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i grew up with lurchers but of course i never paid any attention 2 wot my dad was getting up to with them.(which i now regret).

my colliexgreyhoundxwhipet is 10mths old and was wondering at wot age should i start to take him out lamping. i have had him out a few times but only to watch.

longstone lad said:
i grew up with lurchers but of course i never paid any attention 2 wot my dad was getting up to with them.(which i now regret).my colliexgreyhoundxwhipet is 10mths old and was wondering at wot age should i start to take him out lamping. i have had him out a few times but only to watch.

if i was you i would be taking him outat that age... i know others will disagree tho :p

she should be ok for some light lamping, dont try and break any records or try to push her to hard, just think of her first season as a training season, where she will learn her skills to help her catch them rabbits, all lurchers have there own way of working the lamp, you just need to let her learn her own way through trial and error, she will soon pick up what works best for her.

What you need to be looking for is the easiest rabbit in the field, the one that is sat furthest out in the field and has squatted tight to the ground, walk your dog out to the rabbit nice and steady, you shouldnt need to say anything. once you are close to the rabbit, try and get it to lift from the seat and slip your dog, and hopefully she will catch, if not she will have learnt something about lamping if she does, call it a night remember always try to finish your training on a high, its no different when out in the field lamping. like i said your not after records, your just giving them the best opertunity to learn. and just slowly build the amount of runs you do up slowly over there first season as there fittness and stamina improves, there is no point running your dog into the ground in there first season, it will only reduce there working life, as lamping is hard a on a dog, even a very expearience seasond lamping dog.

There is no rush, just try her and see how she goes, but do try to do it alone, so she has no other distractions from other dogs, its just one on one with you.

Next season she will be ready to work that bit harder, but remember to start the season of easy and slowly build up again, no point damaging a dog at the beginning of the season by starting off to fast and to hard, they have enough to conntend with running the narrow beam, without running them after a long summer, not been on the lamp.

I always try to look at it as a long term project, this is just my way, im sure there are a milloin other ways out there. mine works for me, but probaly wouldnt suite some of the eager beavers out there who are after big bags night after night.

Whatever you do mate, enjoy and just spare a thought for your lurcher, they work hard for us and derserve plenty of rest as well as work.

YIS

JS

totally agree , your dog deserves the best and if you push him too early at this stage you could learn to regret it later on ,as said spare a thought for the dog give him plenty of encouragement and try not to be too dispondant when you come back empty handed some of my dogs best runs have resulted in nothing in hand at the end of it but the dog has had a good chase and learnt a lot from it which it can put into practise over the runs, good luck

dean1977 said:
totally agree , your dog deserves the best and if you push him too early at this stage you could learn to regret it later on ,as said spare a thought for the dog give him plenty of encouragement and try not to be too dispondant when you come back empty handed some of my dogs best runs have resulted in nothing in hand at the end of it but the dog has had a good chase and learnt a lot from it which it can put into practise over the runs, good luck
i went out last night in not so good weather lol but my dog probably had one of his best chases i seen and just when i thought the bunny had got away under sheep fencing he managed to pick it up as it was popping thru the fencing.. i was well pleased with him and he knew he made me proud :wub:

longstone lad do not over feed your dog before going out cos this will slow his

performance and give him stomach cramp

also be sure your dog is free of worms as this can dramatically decrease his running performance too

hang in there m8 take your time and im sure all will be good

Last edited by a moderator:
thankyou thats sound advice its sounds the most senseable route to take. and i dont want to push my dog too hard . will keep u all posted :)

TAKE YE TIME U AND YE DOG WILL REEP THE BENIFITS AND GOOD HUNTIN TO YE BOTHE

andycapp.gif

:rant: :rant: :rant:

the bloody pic is 2 big or sumthin

it aint'nt goin work soz

:(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back