The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf Diet

BRI&SHELLI

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have the following babies :-

1 puppy 13 wk old bitch.

1x 7 month old dog = 20lb

1x 10 month old bitch = 18lb

I have been to Landywoods, and purchased the following:-

Minced lamb tripe = 36lb

Minced puppy tripe (beef) = 36lb

Chicken wings = 100

Marrow bones = 30

Green Ark sea weed powder

Green Ark cereal mix.

I am planning on feeding

7AM - 5oz Tripe & 1 chicken wing + sea weed poder (teaspoon)

1PM 2oz tripe (puppy only)

6PM - 5oz Tripe + vegetable pulp.

A morrow bone will be given in the morning for the dogs to eat at their leisure.

Twice a week I will replace an evening meal with Green Ark cereal mix.

Can anyone suggest a better balance + anything that I am missing.

I am really open to suggestions here, due to my lack of guidance. I want my dogs to have the best possible life I can offer them.

Please don't shoot me down, just try to give help.

Regards. :( :( :(

Personally I add raw pulped fruit and veg (done in a blender and frozen in ice cube trays and taken out when needed) every other day.

I also use Dorwest herbs Keepers mix, Evening primrose oil and wheatgerm oil.

They get the keepers mix every other day when not getting fruit and veg and they get the oils on alternate days.

I give mine the green tripe, lamb, beef, organ meats and chicken wings but they also get oily fish 2-3 times a week, sardines or pilchards.

I personally don't mine any cereal based product as it doesn't agree with them.

They also get goats milk, honey and cinamon a couple of times a month and raw eggs with the shells.

I know some people give cottage cheese and natural yogurt but I don't.

I know I should really weigh out what they eat but I've started to go by how they look rather than weight, Inca is prone to weight gain and she has less than Dippy who is hard to keep weight on but both of them have 2 meals a day, which usually consists of whatever meat and a wings plus the extras I add.

The pup who is 4 months gets 3 meals a day and again I don't weigh it.

I've found to get it right is trial and error and what suits your dogs best.

Good luck. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
hellybobs said:
Personally I add raw pulped fruit and veg (done in a blender and frozen in ice cube trays and taken out when needed) every other day.
I also use Dorwest herbs Keepers mix, Evening primrose oil and wheatgerm oil.

They get the keepers mix every other day when not getting fruit and veg and they get the oils on alternate days.

I give mine the green tripe, lamb, beef, organ meats and chicken wings but they also get oily fish 2-3 times a week, sardines or pilchards.

I personally don't mine any cereal based product as it doesn't agree with them.

They also get goats milk, honey and cinamon a couple of times a month and raw eggs with the shells.

I know some people give cottage cheese and natural yogurt but I don't.

I know I should really weigh out what they eat but I've started to go by how they look rather than weight, Inca is prone to weight gain and she has less than Dippy who is hard to keep weight on but both of them have 2 meals a day, which usually consists of whatever meat and a wings plus the extras I add.

The pup who is 4 months gets 3 meals a day and again I don't weigh it.

I've found to get it right is trial and error and what suits your dogs best.

Good luck. :luck:

Hi there,

Is the Dorwest herbs kepers mix 100% natural stuff? I would like to start giving some herbal stuff to my whippet, as he is not eating enough veg/fruit (at least not enough for his diet to be well balanced).....

...just would like to make sure it is all natural...

thank you

Yes Dorwest is natural and very good value for money.

:thumbsup: Thats brilliant advioce from hellybobs, almost identical to the diet I feed my whippets and lurchers. Again, I dont weigh my dogs, just go by how they look. Mine also love raw veggies and have pasta twice a week.

Good luck with your diet !!

I cant give mine seaweed powder - it makes them as randy as hell !!! :luck:

There's great info on these sites regarding raw diets;

http://www.rawfed.com/

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/FAQlist

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

I would recommend Tom Londsdales book (owner of the last website in the list above) "Work Wonders".

A yahoo group that also gives fantastic advice on raw feeding is;

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Personally I don't bother with veggies or supplements. Dogs are canines and get all they need from the meat/bones/organs they are consuming. The only time my two get veggies is in the rare scraps from our plates.

The only addition that I'd consider worth giving if you are feeding non pasture raised meats (as most genrally are) is fish body oil for Omega 3s that are lacking in the non pasture raised meats. But if you feed fish a couple of times a week you could probably do without using the fish oils as well.

Too much tripe it's 75% water you need to back it up with meat chicken,beef fish etc

why bother with landywood buy it from your butcher my butcher now advertise,s dog meat since i started to go in asking for off cuts etc butchers are a dying breed they need your custom i personally dont bother with veg fruit carnt understand the rationale for that dogs are carnivores

Basically I feed the same as Helen too :D

To me I don't feed what they now call 'BARF' I just feed a fresh natural and most importantly VARIED diet.

If you just feed bones and tripe every day, they are bound to be deficient in something! Same as if you just feed vegetables (w00t) Same as anything, keep it varied but with good quality meat and bone as the fundamentals - then mine gets veggies, fish, pasta, rice etc etc

I use Keepers Mix, Garlic & Fenugreek tabs to boost immunity and also evening primrose oil mainly for the coat (as I show)

The rationale behind feeding pulverised veggies is I believe it is a simulation of when a canine eats the stomach of its prey. Mine love veggies and beg for them!

hope it goes well for you,think most is trial and error until you get it right :thumbsup:

glad weve been so help to you :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice. (I have just joined the YAHOO site).

Please feel free to keep it coming - the more advice the better.

From reading these replies, I am getting very glad with the suggestions.

Reason - The tripe stinks terrible.. :wacko: .. It fills my house with a rotten dead smell. I was wondering how the hell to feed my dogs outside in the rain, because it was so bad. My wife refused to feed the dogs completely.

I would definitely be interested in feeding a more rounded balanced -yet natural diet.

The KEEPERS MIX looks as if it will be going onto my shopping list.

:thumbsup: Keep up the good work guys - you really do make a big difference. :thumbsup:

<<<THANKS >>>

Your more than welcome. :thumbsup:

I know this might sound daft but you do get used to the smell of tripe...EVENTUALLY... (w00t)

I think basicly the key is variety and good fresh food...and you can't go wrong.

masta said:
why bother with landywood buy it from your butcher my butcher now advertise,s dog meat since i started to go in asking for off cuts etc butchers are a dying breed they need your custom
I wish I could find a butcher who can provide what I want at a reasonable price but I can't. :(

hellybobs said:
masta said:
why bother with landywood buy it from your butcher my butcher now advertise,s dog meat since i started to go in asking for off cuts etc butchers are a dying breed they need your custom
I wish I could find a butcher who can provide what I want at a reasonable price but I can't. :(

kirkgate market there must be 25 in there and ive bought from several, shin beef mince trimmings etc or costco leeds 2kg chicken thighs £5.00

:thumbsup:

masta said:
hellybobs said:
masta said:

kirkgate market there must be 25 in there and ive bought from several, shin beef mince trimmings etc or costco leeds 2kg chicken thighs £5.00

:thumbsup:

I'm not a member of costo and the various butchers in the market wasn't all that cheap but I most defenatly look the next time I'm in town. :thumbsup:

I echo a lot of the advice you've had already.

I use Landywoods - why not try more varieties of their mince that's what i do. We have lamb tripe, ox tripe and organ mix, minced chicken, the economy mince....can't remember others off top of my head!

I use Laughing Dog mixer to go with the mince (also available from Landywoods)

Also feed chick wings, sardines, raw eggs, vegetables, fruit

They have left over scraps if they are suitable (not between meals, in their bowl as part of their tea)

This wouldn't officially class as BARF as not a high enough quantity of bones, but fresh and natural and they are all thriving on it :cheers:

..we feed raw too..with a fruit and veg pure mix. We do add afew pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to the veg which makes it quite creamy We stick to ratios of 1 tablespoon of muscle meat to 2 tablespoons of veg mis. For the older ones over7 we use 1 tablespoon meat to 3 veg. eg our 21kg whippetx greyhound who is 10 has the later ratios which keeps her weight right and she has very good muscle tone. The younger more ative doglet have the firts ratio. Twice daily.They have a chicken wing or lamb rib at 8pm and once a week recreational raw marrow bone from butchers. There teeth are white, eyes bright etc.. we also add Dorwest keepers mix as it is a blend of hedgerow herbs that are good for them. We vary the type of muscle meat every day...one of which is raw heart, liver and kidney. The also get white fish, spratts and squid tubes! All our friends think our dogs eat better then we do.!! LOL

The veg mix is 1/2 green veg, avocado, peas etc and half fruit like bannans apples, carrots. Your not supposed to use onions,potatoes, grapes or rhubarb or any of onion family but pretty much anything else goes..variety is the key...they also get a raw egg and shell once a week blended into the veg. We have been feeding raw for 3yrs and would go back to commercial food now.

We use AMp as they do frozen blocks and freeflow mince and meat chuncks and test thier meat regularly and process to human standards and deliver to your door!

whippetlove said:
..we feed raw too..with a fruit and veg pure mix. We do add afew pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to the veg which makes it quite creamy We stick to ratios of 1 tablespoon of muscle meat to 2 tablespoons of veg mis. For the older ones over7 we use 1 tablespoon meat to 3 veg. eg our 21kg whippetx greyhound who is 10 has the later ratios which keeps her weight right and she has very good muscle tone.  The younger more ative doglet have the firts ratio.  Twice daily.They have a chicken wing or lamb rib at 8pm and once a week recreational raw marrow bone from butchers. There teeth are white, eyes bright etc.. we also add Dorwest keepers mix as it is a blend of hedgerow herbs that  are good for them. We vary the type of muscle meat every day...one of which is raw heart, liver and kidney. The also get white fish, spratts and squid tubes! All our friends think our dogs eat better then we do.!! LOLThe veg mix is 1/2 green veg, avocado, peas etc and half fruit like bannans apples, carrots. Your not supposed to use onions,potatoes, grapes or rhubarb or any of onion family but pretty much anything else goes..variety is the key...they also get a raw egg and shell once a week blended into the veg. We have been feeding raw for 3yrs and would go back to commercial food now.

We use AMp as they do frozen blocks and freeflow mince and meat chuncks and test thier meat regularly and process to human standards and deliver to your door!

dont suppose you fancy a lodger do ya :lol:

lol...I know...they are spoilt!!!! We do eat ok but a am sure a human nutritionist would probably say we need to have a diet more like our dogs!! lol :lol:

whippetlove said:
lol...I know...they are spoilt!!!! We do eat ok but a am sure a human nutritionist would probably say we need to have a diet more like our dogs!! lol  :lol:
:lol: tell you what, leave out the eggshell, and i;l be your dog

:cheers:

keith will now go to bed hungry :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back