The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf Feeding

~whitecross whippets~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
after talking to john burns at crufts i bought some of his foods....

after looking at his website when i got home i read this.....

ISN'T RAW FOOD BETTER THAN COOKED?

Raw food advocates claim that it is more “natural” for dogs and cats to eat raw food which is a reflection of their origins in the wild. Cats have to some extent remained independent and separate from humans. They are obligate meat eaters and they hunt, kill and eat prey. But this is not the case for dogs. Fourteen thousand years of close association with man have resulted in a creature very different from the wild animal. Dogs have been adapted to eating the same food as humans for many generations. Until fairly recently human nutrition was based on cooked whole cereal grains and this formed the basis of the diets I have formulated for pets.

It is sometimes claimed that cooked food has been damaged or “denatured” by cooking. Cooking is intended to denature food. When we consume protein, we do not want that protein to be assimilated into our system intact. If we eat chicken, we do not want to build our bodies with chicken protein; we want to build human protein. The purpose of the digestive system is to break down complex molecules to simple molecules which can be absorbed and utilised. Cooking begins that process and makes food more easily digested and absorbed. Denatured (cooked) protein is less likely to be recognised as a foreign protein which can cause an allergic reaction

what does everyone think?

personally i feed nature diet/menu pouches now (after trying homemade diets/dried diets and raw) because.....

it is natural and contains 60-70% meat plus veg and rice(i do think wholegrain rice in small amounts is ok after much research into the carb/no carb question)...

also bonemeal and seaweed etc...

it is cooked in the pouch to retain the nutrients too :thumbsup:

they also have james wellbeloved/burns down at all times :p

though its not a cheap or easiest option (i use 6 pouches a day at 63p each plus dried and treats :wacko: ) i do feel this works well for me and my dogs are very healthy on it :thumbsup:

I feed 1/2 raw and 1/2 James Well Beloved, so I don't sit firmly in either camp. People fed their dogs scraps for generations, raw or cooked or whatever, then we started feeding 'pellets', some good pellets, some bad pellets, but pellets nonetheless. Dogs survived just as well on the pellets as they did with scraps and scavenging and killing etc.

I believe there's good arguments for both. My parents dogs survived on medium quality kibble and lived to 14 and 15 and 17. They now feed a higher quality kibble and they're still living long lives. I'm feeding 1/2 and 1/2 and I do see an improvement in some areas.

I think the bottom line is that you do what works for you and what fits with your lifestyle and your dogs with their health in mind.

I think that anyone who is associated with a dog food company is OF COURSE going to naysay anything that doesn't encourage people to buy their own food, so I don't put much stock in the 'promotional' jargon that goes on on any of the sites for or against certain types of feeding. I educate myself as best I can, look at the ingredients and if I can live with it then I do.

Having said that I researched a TON of foods before I started going part raw and JWB and Burns were the only two I decided were any good for what *I* wanted out of a dry food. I wanted NO wheat, NO corn, and NO gluten, and those 2 brands were the only ones that met those requirements.

Wendy

~whitecross whippets~ said:
after talking to john burns at crufts i bought some of his foods....after looking at his website when i got home i read this.....

Raw food advocates claim that it is more “natural” for dogs and cats to eat raw food which is a reflection of their origins in the wild. Cats have to some extent remained independent and separate from humans. They are obligate meat eaters and they hunt, kill and eat prey. But this is not the case for dogs. Fourteen thousand years of close association with man have resulted in a creature very different from the wild animal. Dogs have been adapted to eating the same food as humans for many generations. Until fairly recently human nutrition was based on cooked whole cereal grains and this formed the basis of the diets I have formulated for pets.

It is sometimes claimed that cooked food has been damaged or “denatured” by cooking. Cooking is intended to denature food. When we consume protein, we do not want that protein to be assimilated into our system intact. If we eat chicken, we do not want to build our bodies with chicken protein; we want to build human protein. The purpose of the digestive system is to break down complex molecules to simple molecules which can be absorbed and utilised. Cooking begins that process and makes food more easily digested and absorbed. Denatured (cooked) protein is less likely to be recognised as a foreign protein which can cause an allergic reaction

personally i  feed nature diet/menu pouches now (after trying homemade diets/dried diets and raw) because.....

it is natural and contains 60-70% meat plus veg and rice(i do think wholegrain rice in small amounts is ok after much research into the carb/no carb question)...

they also have james wellbeloved/burns down at all times :p though its not a cheap or easiest option (i use 6 pouches a day at 63p each plus dried and treats :wacko: )  i do feel this works well for me and my dogs are very healthy on it :thumbsup:

Im surprised they're not obese - mine would be if i had food down at all times - Frankie would never stop eating :lol: :lol: :lol:

after talking to john burns at crufts i bought some of his foods....after looking at his website when i got home i read this.....

personally i  feed nature diet/menu pouches now (after trying homemade diets/dried diets and raw) because.....

though its not a cheap or easiest option (i use 6 pouches a day at 63p each plus dried and treats :wacko: )  i do feel this works well for me and my dogs are very healthy on it :thumbsup:

Is this the same john burns that were recently prosecuted for making false claims about their product?

masta said:

though its not a cheap or easiest option (i use 6 pouches a day at 63p each plus dried and treats :wacko: )  i do feel this works well for me and my dogs are very healthy on it :thumbsup:

Is this the same john burns that were recently prosecuted for making false claims about their product?

oh i dont know...tell me more :oops: ...what happened???? :thumbsup:

masta said:

Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd and company secretary Mr John Burns have each been found guilty of two offences under Regulation 3 of the Marketing Authorisations for Veterinary Medicinal Products Regulations 1994.

The charges concerned two pet feeds for which claims for medicinal effects were made. Any product for administration to animals and which makes claims for medicinal effects is considered, under European Law, to be a veterinary medicine. All veterinary medicines placed on the market in the UK are required to be authorised by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).

The case was brought after the company failed to comply with advice given by the VMD on the appropriate marketing of the feeds.

After a three-day trial at Llanelli Magistrate's Court, both defendants were found to be guilty of all charges. Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd was fined a total of £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,181. Mr Burns was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,181.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2005/051123e.htm

masta said:
masta said:

Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd and company secretary Mr John Burns have each been found guilty of two offences under Regulation 3 of the Marketing Authorisations for Veterinary Medicinal Products Regulations 1994.

The charges concerned two pet feeds for which claims for medicinal effects were made. Any product for administration to animals and which makes claims for medicinal effects is considered, under European Law, to be a veterinary medicine. All veterinary medicines placed on the market in the UK are required to be authorised by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).

The case was brought after the company failed to comply with advice given by the VMD on the appropriate marketing of the feeds.

After a three-day trial at Llanelli Magistrate's Court, both defendants were found to be guilty of all charges. Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd was fined a total of £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,181. Mr Burns was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,181.

blimey!...didnt know that...thanks...good food though dont you think?

masta said:
masta said:

i'm sure it is kaz, but the whole food issue is subjective i feed raw and a little high protein nutro and that is based on feeding quality food the same principle that i feed myself and my family

but my dad who bred and worked bordercollies when i was a kid fed them crap and they were fit and healthy i think you have to find something that suits you and your dogs

masta said:
masta said:
masta said:

i'm sure it is kaz, but the whole food issue is subjective i feed raw and a little high protein nutro and that is based on feeding quality food the same principle that i feed myself and my family

but my dad who bred and worked bordercollies when i was a kid fed them crap and they were fit and healthy i think you have to find something that suits you and your dogs

i agree :thumbsup: i fed the nature diet raw before the nature diet pouch and they were great on it...i just found it a bit hard to stomach myself if im honest :x and i was forever forgetting to defrost it! :wacko:

Further to my comments on the 2nd post I've read much more carefully this paragraph and I think he's having a laugh!! He's talking about cooking for humans and recognising proteins. I don't think wild dogs or wolves, or coyotes or any of those are sitting out there with little camp stoves cooking their kill so they can be sure their bodies don't reject the foreign protens ROFLMAO!

I think he's talking out his behind.

Wendy

I feed Burns now and my dogs are doing well on it. I WAS aware of the court case but after looking into it I decided that he was taken to court for not being able to provide proof of his claims. This doesn't mean to say the claims are untrue, just not proven yet. The main way that all the other pet food companies prove that their products is by extensive animal testing, which is not what Burns is about, being approved by the BUAV!!! However, I do think that Mr Burns was a tad stupid for making claims without any evidence :p he might've known he would get into trouble :lol:

I used to feed raw and a bit of tinned meat and mixer (seperate meals) but changed to just a complete diet on the advice of a behaviourist. She advised that if I was going to feed raw I should go the whole hog and feed it properly. By that she meant that I should do a lot of research and feed in the correct quantities (bone/meat/veg). So ok I took the easy route but the dogs seem ok at the moment and I have definately seen a change in their behaviours now, so I will stick with it, unless I see any changes detrimental to their health :thumbsup:

Its so bloody confusing though, I reckon that if you find something the dogs are doing well on stick with it.

my guys predominately eat Wafcal..........with leftovers on occasion, and sardines to make them shine :D

oh, and cat food when they can scavenge it - and Audrey is attempting a systematic cull of the geese in our local park :- " :- " ............luckily OH is one of the rangers so we don't get into too much trouble if she's spotted running round with one in her mouth....o...0..(damn birdds need to learn that they are a PREY SPECIES!) :- " :- "

urchin said:
Audrey is attempting a systematic cull of the geese in our local park :- "  :- " ............luckily OH is one of the rangers so we don't get into too much trouble if she's spotted running round with one in her mouth....o...0..(damn birdds need to learn that they are a PREY SPECIES!) :- "  :- "
(w00t) Urchin, you've mde my day (w00t) thanks Audrey I have a lovely mental picture now :thumbsup: (w00t)

when i did raw but was too worried to ever feed chicken wings(not that casper could have them anyway cos he is on a low fat diet cos of his pancreatitis) so i knew that to do it properley then raw bones were necessary so i switched to a diet that suited my dogs and me :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back