The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf Feeding

Paws123

NNWRF TREASURER
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Was talking to David last night about BARF feeding is anyones dogs on it ..or anyone considered putting there dogs on it

i am very interested in it Denise - i currently do half and half (raw brekkie and kibble with cooked for tea).

The chikkie wings for breakfast have done wonders for the boys teeth (and Digit's breath!) and despite the dire warnings of the 13 year old vet nurses (oh, ok maybe they're a wee bit older than that) they seem to manage not to succumb to daily bouts of food poisoning, nor choke on splintered bones. :D

I also try to get meaty bones for them once a week from the butchers, but this is a bit hit and miss depending on whether someone else has beaten me to it!

The only thing that stops me changing over 100% is a lack of freezer space. I have a fridge freezer with a freezer bit that's only twice the size of an ice compartment - so with me and my lodger sharing it there isn't much space left.

However, there will soon be 5 dogs living chez urchin, and a number of sheds out back, one of which will have a freezer......so my plan is to Barf em all. :thumbsup:

urchin said:
The only thing that stops me changing over 100% is a lack of freezer space. I have a fridge freezer with a freezer bit that's only twice the size of an ice compartment - so with me and my lodger sharing it there isn't much space left.

Same here, i keep saying i'm going to buy a chest freezer and never do. Mine were on BARF before i seperated from the kids dad (when i had a reasonable number of 5 dogs :lol: and a big freezer) got to say you really notice the difference. Wouldn't say they performed any different but they looked great :b

They all still get a lot of raw meat, veg, meaty bones and raw chicken wings just that they get a mixer with their main meal, the pup is really picky with cooked meat but loves raw :devil:

I found with Ella (always struggled to keep her weight down) it was much easier to maintain her racing weight.

I was recomended these by a woman my ex knew that bred and worked alaskan malamutes Landywoods i never actually used them but at the time they looked really good and very reasonably priced. I think they had a minimum order of £50 but would delivery countrywide and did all variations of raw meats.

There's loads of BARF related topics on k9 but also have a look on amazon, they have loads of books too for anyone thinking of giving it a try.

(w00t) chicken wings always thought there bones gave dogs trouble????

we do feed asda white pack mince raw,as it is not to lean.

veg, new pot or two keep the carbs up. also pilchards,white fish,loads of tined tomatos.

pup gets asda full goats milk,bigguns 50/50 water.

honey

interesting diet as long as its ok for the dogs tummys :wacko:

cooked chicken bones can be very splintery - raw ones dont seem to be :thumbsup:

I really fancy trying it , but have a few worries as to there racing performance and proteins etc ...

copied from a web site

What is BARF

BARF stands for Bones And Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, depending on which books you read. The basic principle is to feed a diet that the animals have evolved to eat, or to put it another way AS NATURE INTENDED.

Some people disagree with BARF, but the more information you gain the more it makes sense. It is advisable to do your own research in order to make up your own mind.

Dogs & cats survived for thousands of years without a pet food manufacturer in sight there are records of wolves living to in excess of 35 years of age! We all imagine dogs living pampered lives in modern civilized countries, but believe it or not they are also thriving in African villages, wild in Oz as Dingoes, still hunting prey in deserts, and so on and no, they don’t have yellow, filthy plaque-encrusted teeth or gingivitis.

Dogs and cats in the wild lived off whole carcasses including the internal organs, and the content of the stomach which usually contains ground down, partially digested vegetation containing essential nutrients.

A BARF feeding diet is as close to nature as we can get with the right mix your pets will live a happier healthy life. We hope this information helps you on your way.

uk barf web site

Just looked back, i thought i remembered putting some pic's on of my gang with turkey legs.

Love the way she's probably working every muscle in her head trying to rip the meat off (w00t) :lol: and look at her claws gripping it. :lol:

Ellaturkeyleg1.jpg
Ellaturkeyleg2.jpg
Ellaturkeyleg.jpg

OMG was scrolling too fast then missed what you'd typed Vicky and just got the pics, was nearly sick on the spot!!

Am not good with bones etc!!

i swear by BARF, since changing mine onto the natural way to feed they look better in many ways..... teeth, coats. vitality, and my fussy eater, really tucks in now! :)

It is a little more time consuming, granted,(especially for those with many mouths to feed!) but the goodness in feeding this way far out-weigh the extra effort involved, in my oppinion anyway... :D

Not really sure what BRAF is about but I can remember years ago my dad fed Veg, meat and brown bread, no meal anywere and the greyhounds did ok on it. tryed the dogs on veg, meat and a little meal before champs and 1 Rch and 1 R-up proves it worked. My pups won't eat meal so mam feed's Brown bread with butter and honey with either fish or meat and they have the best coats out of all my dogs. Wouldn't give the dogs chicken wings but we try to get rib eye bones once a week for there teeth.

sharon whincop said:
Not really sure what BRAF is about but I can remember years ago my dad fed Veg, meat and brown bread, no meal anywere and the greyhounds did ok on it. tryed the dogs on veg, meat and a little meal before champs and 1 Rch and 1 R-up proves it worked. My pups won't eat meal so mam feed's Brown bread with butter and honey with either fish or meat and they have the best coats out of all my dogs. Wouldn't give the dogs chicken wings but we try to get rib eye bones once a week for there teeth.
THATS THE OLD FASHION WAY SHARON MEAT/VEG/BROWN BREAD GREAT GEOFF DE MULDER FEED 9 DERBY WINNERS THAT WAY BUT IN IS LATER YEAR TURN TO RACING MEAL AS WELL BUT TODAY GREYHOUND MEN FEED RACING MEAL E.G.RED MILLS/WAFCOL ETC FOR CONVIENENCE P.S I FEED SKINNERS FIELD&TRIAL SUPERIOR IT,S 30% PROTEIN NO MEAT OR VEG SHE SEEM TO RUN WELL ON IT PERSONALY I THINK DOG AS GOT TO HAVE THE ENGINE WHAT EVER YOU FEED BUT BARF MAY BE A CHANGE FOR THE DOGS SOME THINK TO CONSIDERED. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back