The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf

sharron

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

Been thinking this week after meeting up with same of you at oxford last saturday,but BARF.

I'v just brought some frozen packs from 2 pet shops (as 1 only had 2 flavours and the other had afew more)

The thing is that i asked in both shops how much i should feed Zeb.1 shop said only give him1packet a day and the other said to give him 1 each meal. So im completly confused :blink:

Zeb should weigh about 18.6kg and at the moment eats 2 tins a day which is 800g aday (if this is any help.)

Any advice would be very helpful

sharron and zeb

sharron said:
Hi AllBeen thinking this week after meeting up with same of you at oxford last saturday,but BARF.

I'v just brought some frozen packs from 2 pet shops (as 1 only had 2 flavours and the other had afew more)

The thing is that i asked in both shops how much i should feed Zeb.1 shop said only give him1packet a day and the other said to give him 1 each meal. So im completly confused  :blink:

Zeb should weigh about 18.6kg and at the moment eats 2 tins a day which is 800g aday (if this is any help.)

Any advice would be very helpful

sharron and zeb

it depends on the dog and the activity level but i would say 1 myself :thumbsup:

Are they 1lb packs (or 500ish gm)? My Django and Dante are about the same size as Zeb and would have about half a pack for their supper with either some Burgess Supagreyhound complete or Laughing Dog puppy meal. In the morning mine have tripe chunks, turkey necks or chicken wings but Dante does often have Butchers tripe and I would give him half a can of that for brekkie.

I only use 4 x 1lb packs of meat between 11 whippies for their evening meal. If that is any help!

I'v brought him the 400g frozen packs.

He get 2-3 runs aday for about 45 mins to just over ahour of running.

As a guide an adult dog should get @ 2 to 3% (a puppy up to 10%) of it's bodyweight so in your case between 372 and 558 grames (in theory one pack) but it's not healthy and not BARF just to feed meat, it's reccomended that 60% of the daily food be raw meaty bones (ie chicken wings) so if you were feeding 500g per day 300g of this should be meaty bones, that means bones that are eaten not just chewed.

The reason for this is that dogs need the correct phosphorus/calcium ration and meat alone is deficient in calcium.

I hope that helps,

Peter

dessie said:
Are they 1lb packs (or 500ish gm)?  My Django and Dante are about the same size as Zeb and would have about half a pack for their supper with either some Burgess Supagreyhound complete or Laughing Dog puppy meal.  In the morning mine have tripe chunks, turkey necks or chicken wings but Dante does often have Butchers tripe and I would give him half a can of that for brekkie. 
I only use 4 x 1lb packs of meat between 11 whippies for their evening meal.  If that is any help!

couldnt imagine what that must be like Dessie :blink: :eek:

feeding two - I use 1lb divided beteen my two dogs plus mixer veggies etc.

Janimal said:
I only use 4 x 1lb packs of meat between 11 whippies for their evening meal.  If that is any help!

couldnt imagine what that must be like Dessie :blink: :eek:

feeding two - I use 1lb divided beteen my two dogs plus mixer veggies etc.

It is just a routine now!! The bowls are all lined up in the same order every day, meat in first, then mixer and then any additives. The dogs all know where they have their dinner so are usually in place waiting!! It is easier since we upgraded the lean-to into a Utility Room because I can now shut the dogs in the kitchen whilst I get the food ready and then it is just a matter of putting it down. I always feed them in the same order as well From start to finish takes me about 30 minutes which includes washing bowls after and taking food out of the freezer for the next day!!! Once I start I CANNOT be interrupted so will not answer phone, door etc

I find the worse thing is if I lose a dog, then I have to leave a space where their bowl was for ages so that I get the order right because it has become so automatic!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back