The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barking and biting during play

VictoriaSonny

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey Guys.
Few random questions here.
Sonny is 12 weeks old now. Recently he’s been barking at me a lot and snapping his jaws while playing on the floor with toys. I don’t even have any in my hands and he just gets in the pounce position and barks and snaps. Is this aggressive or is he telling me to throw something else for him? He also nuzzles his head between my legs tries to bite. I am on my period at the moment. Can he smell it?
When we say no or off if he’s chewing something he shouldn’t be or jumps up at the sofa and table, he just barks at us for ages. Is this normal?

thanks

The barking and snapping sound like normal puppy play. Try to make sure you have a toy on you you can stuff in his mouth, or give him activities like shredding a cardboard box, to encourage him to play more 'nicely'. If he bites you, just turn away and ignore him (maybe give him a few seconds timeout), so that he learns that bitey play means the fun stops. And praise him when he's interacting with you in a way you like.

Groins smell interesting most times, and they may be more 'interesting' when you have your period. My dog isn't a cuddly dog, but he loves nothing better than standing in front of me or OH, nose in our groins while we stroke his ears... Again, as it's not something you necessarily want to encourage, particularly if he does it to other people, I'd simply move away from him and turn your back on him when he does it.

He might be frustrated by the 'no' or 'off', and be having a little tantrum. For chewing what he shouldn't, the best approach is to exchange it for something he can chew, and not leave anything you want him to chew lying around. Also, work on teaching a good 'trade', so he's happy to swap what he has with what you're offering. Rather than telling him not to jump up at the sofa or table, teach him something you do want him to do, e.g. 'settle on your bed', and ask him to do that instead. Train 'off' etc. as a 'clever trick', not as a correction. If I 'ordered' my dog off a sofa, he could get defensive and snarky, but if I say 'off' in a cheerful voice, he pops off happily and gets a treat for being such a clever boy :)

It does all take time though!

Sounds just normal stuff, stay cool, controlled but semi in control, tick tick as time goes by months or so I can’t see a problem, so much advice from so many can for you cloud the issue, pick your advice and stick too it,

The barking and snapping sound like normal puppy play. Try to make sure you have a toy on you you can stuff in his mouth, or give him activities like shredding a cardboard box, to encourage him to play more 'nicely'. If he bites you, just turn away and ignore him (maybe give him a few seconds timeout), so that he learns that bitey play means the fun stops. And praise him when he's interacting with you in a way you like.

Groins smell interesting most times, and they may be more 'interesting' when you have your period. My dog isn't a cuddly dog, but he loves nothing better than standing in front of me or OH, nose in our groins while we stroke his ears... Again, as it's not something you necessarily want to encourage, particularly if he does it to other people, I'd simply move away from him and turn your back on him when he does it.

He might be frustrated by the 'no' or 'off', and be having a little tantrum. For chewing what he shouldn't, the best approach is to exchange it for something he can chew, and not leave anything you want him to chew lying around. Also, work on teaching a good 'trade', so he's happy to swap what he has with what you're offering. Rather than telling him not to jump up at the sofa or table, teach him something you do want him to do, e.g. 'settle on your bed', and ask him to do that instead. Train 'off' etc. as a 'clever trick', not as a correction. If I 'ordered' my dog off a sofa, he could get defensive and snarky, but if I say 'off' in a cheerful voice, he pops off happily and gets a treat for being such a clever boy :)

It does all take time though!
Thank you! That’s such great advice! Will give it all a go! Xx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back