The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barking at night - not separation anxiety though...

bigblackdogs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our 9 year old Belgian Shepherd cross has developed a strange problem over the past few years and it's getting worse.

During the day he's fine and only barks when someone knocks at the door. When we are there, he doesn't take any notice of noises outside (unless they're major ones) and is suitably quiet.

However, at night, the moment we go to bed, he will sit at the bottom of the stairs and bark at "noises" outside (which we can't hear so they aren't that loud). If it's windy then he *really* barks. This goes on till about 4 in the morning when he finally settles down.

The stairs echo and it keeps us awake and recently the only thing we can do is for one of us to go and sleep in the office downstairs where the dog spends a lot of the day with us. He's quiet then.

The thing is, we know it's not separation anxiety because he can wander round the house freely and although he used to sleep in our bedroom (on the floor, not the bed) he decided he didn't want that anymore and slept in other rooms. So if he wants to come in the bedroom he can.

We don't want one of those "training" collar things. We've tried telling him off when he barks like this. We've tried being nice to him when he barks like this. We've tried everything we can think of and it makes no difference. And it's not because he wants to go out because we've tried that as well.

So... I'm wondering if anyone's got any other suggestions other than industrial strength earplugs for us?

Ah, the deep joy of the hypervigilant dog breeds :(

When it's windy Molly is always on full alert, even when she's lying at my feet. In fact she's off on one now, as she can hear the wind down the chimney.

His age and the fact that it is getting worse and that it's only at night would lead me to think that there could be an element of his eyesight being less good at night? Have you tried leaving a night light on and if you did, what happened? I don't mean a bright light, just something that would enable him to see that there isn't anything to be worked up about.

What happens if you shut him in the bedroom with you? Or keep him at the top of the stairs, or in another room where he doesn't have the whole house to look after?

Hmm... interesting idea eingana. Never really thought about that. But we've prepared a light for the bottom of the stairs and we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the idea!

Perhaps a radio on low would help him settle too? You could try an Adaptil diffuser as they comfort dogs.

Is it possible that he has learned that he gets attention for barking? I boarded a dog that did this. I crated her in a fully darkened room with a radio on low and she settled really well. The owners had been getting up to her due to neighbours, understandably, complaining. I also walked the legs off her while she was with me. You might like to try this too. Keep him really busy with interactive toys and lots of exercise so that he is too tired to bark :) A short spell near you might help too as sometimes you just need to break the cycle.

Sorry gypsysmum, but the concept of a shepherd that's too tired to bark is giving me a good smile here :)

I've met other breeds that are tired and relaxed, but I've met shepherds that are close enough to death that they couldn't stand up, but they could still bark. I live in hope that one day Molly will give up on barking (but it's not looking too hopeful cos she's 9 and hasn't given up yet!) :D

No matter how tired a dog is it will still bark if it's alerted to something so I agree with Eingana. I can run my Lab all day (and I mean all day! ive been climbing up mountains with him!) and then hoover round him whilst he is snoring his head off, but if he gets sound of something that is not quite right, or something he hasn't heard before he is up like a shot and will bark to alert me!

If your dog settles when you're around and you are happy to have him in the bedroom then bring him back in with you and see how you get on.

Having a low light or lamp on is a good idea and maybe if you have another room that is further away from the stairs then to shut him in there so the barking is slightly muffled.

Older dogs do create funny habits as they age, (actually at any age to be honest!!) and as Eigana said, he is older and his eyesight may not be as good it could be a little anxiety that you haven't experienced with him before because he cant see as well and it is worrying to him.

I hope you sort it out

Sophie x

So we've had the light on downstairs for a week or so but the biggest change happened when we let him bark without trying to stop him. He barked for about 3 1/2 hours non-stop (fortunately we don't have neighbours!!!) and we did nothing. He finally calmed down and since then he's been pretty good. An occasional bark (which we acknowledge) and then he settles. If it's windy at night he'll be a bit restless and barky but nothing like before. I don't want to say it's all done and dusted but *generally* speaking we're getting a better night's sleep.

Great stuff!!!

Let's hope things continue to improve for you! :thumbsup:

Sophie x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back