The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barking Mad

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
One of my greyhounds has always whinged in the mornings to go out and in the last few months this has developed into howling, or "carolling", as it's sometimes known. :rolleyes: It's quite a sound when the others join in!! :wacko: :blink: Usually this is at some semi-decent hour after 7am but just occasionally he does it in the early hours too. :angry: It is definitely habit with him, and one I haven't been able to break. I tried the spray collar on him once but it didn't work through all the barriers in between, but I may give that another go. In all other respects he is a perfect dog. o:) He's nearly 6!

William is gorgeous! :wub: :wub: Have you got any more photos?

He is glad to hear I'm not the only one with a noisy greyhound I was beging to think I was I know what you men about the noise 7 whippets joining in howling sounds like the hounds of the baskerviles

here's more piccies for you

Wiliam at a show

BarnesmoreBillyTheKid.jpg

Mmmm what can I do now?

2005_0611Image0066_2_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a super looking boy. :wub: :wub: Looks like his black bits are really a very dark brindle?

I spoke to the vet again today but I had a brain storm at work this morning This is it..............

Wiliam is being fed Red Mills Racer greyhound food He goes for a walk before I go to walk he goes to the park for a good run for as long as he wants as soon as I get home and out again before bed The food is27% protien and he is not burning it of.He is cooped up in the house all day although OH's mother lives with us for 3/4 of the year and she will put him in the garden if necessary.

Suggested to the nurse at the vets that could this be part of the problem. She asked the vet who agreed so I came home and rang the man who gets my food we are going to try himon Red Mills tracker which has 20% protien .

Hopefully he will be better now. I always keep a small bag of food in just in case I ever run low on food so I checked that and it was 20% protein so William's had some that for his tea and will stay on it untill the new food arrives.

The Racer food was reccomended to me to put weight on William and although it did with the whippets William just got worse with his behaviour

I don't know what made me think of this but I hope for William's sake I am right as I don't know how much longer OH will put up with him for

Has anyone else ever had any experience with this sort of thing I know he wan't improve over night but I really do think there hope there is a slight glimmer of hope with him although I will not get my hopes up to much

We have changed Williams food and I am trying to exercise him more.

I have tried shouting , throwing rattly things and to many other things to list I have now decided to try using his stomach to teach him to be quite!!!

William is not to bothered about treats but he does love cheese soo.... he can have cheese IF he doesn't bark. If he starts the nearest I go to him is the top of the stairs from were I shout quiet . If he shuts up I will then go down and reward him with a piece of cheese not always straight away I vary the time before I go down so he doesn't think he will get it straight away

I just hope this doesn't teach him to bark just to get cheese but it's worth a try as nothing else seems to work and OH says he'll go if he doesn't learn to be quiet but I :huggles: him to bits and I know OH does as well really

Well he's the one who lets him sit on his knee not me!!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back