The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bearded Collie X Urine Tract Infection....

davelympany

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Guys,

Our dog Belle had had blood in urine/wetting frequently for a while now. She went vets around 3 weeks ago and was confirmed urinary tract infection, had a course of low dosage anti b`s which didnt do anything, so she went onto Nisamox last monday, but still wetting indoors, and her urine is a browny rusty colour, since she went onto them, which we think maybe the infection coming out??

What i was wondering does anyone know how long it will be before she starts to improve, she has got 2 weeks worth at 250mg twice a day.

she is happy in herself and eating drinking normal.......any help appreciated!!

dave & marie

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I am sure others on here will know. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum and hope Belle gets better soon. :luck: :luck:

Hi Dave and Marie

Welcome to K9.

Has the vet sent a urine sample off for testing? This would show which antibiotics the bacteria was sensitive to, and therefore they'd be able to prescribe the correct one. If they have, and she is still having a problem, it could be that she has bladder stones. These cause irritation in the bladder, and can cause them to have difficulty in passing urine. Does she squat and just do little bits - or is she drinking a lot, and weeing a lot?

:luck: Good luck with her anyway, and let us know how she's doing.

June Jonigk said:
Hi Dave and MarieWelcome to K9.

Has the vet sent a urine sample off for testing?  This would show which antibiotics the bacteria was sensitive to, and therefore they'd be able to prescribe the correct one.  If they have, and she is still having a problem, it could be that she has bladder stones.  These cause irritation in the bladder, and can cause them to have difficulty in passing urine.  Does she squat and just do little bits - or is she drinking a lot, and weeing a lot?

:luck: Good luck with her anyway, and let us know how she's doing.

Hi There,

Its not got to that stage yet with the anti-b`s ( I didnt know that they sent urine off for testing at first visit?)

She is only 2 years old, so I cant really see bladder stones being a concern.....

She is weeing fine and not really drinking any more than usual.....

We think/hoping its just a nasty tract/bladder infection.....and she has also come into season.....poor love!!!

Thanks for your interest, Dave.

Hi

Belle had something called a Calcium Oxidate stone in her bladder and it was Huge!

She is walking around very cross as she has to wear a trumpet collar...poor love!

We aslso have to start feeding her a special diet which is gonna be very expensive canine royal urinary is the company.......

any feedback appreciated.......

Dave

the food you are giving her is by Royal canine, yes its extremely expensive but invalueable in your dogs case at the moment, you can ask the vet if she can go back on normal food once this has passed and she is over it, i would try to encourage her to drink more water anyway :thumbsup:

has she had surgery to remove the stone or is it being dissolved etc?

glad its been diagnosed x

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww bless her :( ......The special diet food is wonderful stuff :thumbsup: ........as said try to get her to drink more, but only water .......... :luck: Belle ......

Hi Dave and Marie

The stone that she had is more common in males than females, so she is an unlucky girlie. Calcium Oxalate stones cannot be disolved with diet change, but the special food will help to stop them reforming. Around 50% of dogs will have a recurrence, but the probability will be lessened if you feed the recommended food. The urine needs to be made more alkaline, and the diet will ensure this.

Good luck with her - she will feel so much better now the stone has been removed. :thumbsup:

Edited as I forgot to say there is an alternative to the Royal Canin (which is still very good quality), but if she doesn't like it she could try another prescription diet from the vet called Hill's U/D - I haven't tried it myself, but I think it's quite tasty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thnaks for replying! She had surgery on tuesday to remove a wopper of a calcium oxidate stone (around 2" oval) She seems to be recovering well and her wee is pure green (yippeeee)

The stone is being sent away for anylasis so the vet can make sure she is on the right food.

She has a plastic collar on her which is driving her mad! and she cant jump up, which she always used to do !! Double stress!!

She goes back on friday for a checkup and stitches out in 9 days!!

Dave

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back