The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bedlington Terrier - Copper Toxicosis

lurcher lover

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All,

I have a 3 yrs old Beddlington Terrier called Gypsey, who has (unfortunately) just been diagnosed with Copper Toxicoxis.

Apparently, this is a fairly common disease for this breed. There livers are unable to tolerate copper and cannot break it down, therefore, it just stores up in the liver. However, not all Beddlington suffer from this.

She had a biopsy a couple of weeks ago and the results showed an excessive amount of copper in the liver. Most dogs have a level of 50,000 micromilimeters and Gypseys is 177,000 - so quite high.

She has just started on a new diet (which she doesn't really like) and is starting on medication on Monday to help draw the copper back out of her liver. However, this can take several months to work and in the meantime the liver may fail.

Also, the tablets are very strong and alot of dogs cannot cope with them.

Just wandered, if anyone on here had any experience of this disease and could offer some advice.

Gypsey, is still quite bright at the minute and is happy to go chasing the ball down the fields.

Debs

I don't know anything about it, have a go at contacting the Kennel Club, it is and inherited problem and all responsible breeders test for it.

Sorry to hear your Beddy has it, and hope she improves. Have you contacted her breeder, they should be told really.

Good luck. :huggles:

Hello, your post is old but relevant! My whippet Bedlington lurcher has been diagnosed with CT and is responding well to medication, though I've had one or two slip ups with unhelpful foods which made him worse. I wonder if you have any advice on feeding. I know the outlook may not be great but medication seems to be good and I'm giving it my all so any help welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back