The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Been To The Vet's - Dog Undescended Testicle

nicky12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
well took our new dog to the vet's today ...and he needs to have operation to remove his testicals as one has not dropped .they could not find the other testical in his groin so they need to look in his abdomen for it ..my vet also said it would have been obviouse when he was about 4/5mths old . :rant:

nicky12 said:
well took our new dog to the vet's today ...and he needs to have operation to remove his testicals as one has not dropped .they could not find the other testical in his groin so they need to look in his abdomen for it ..my vet also said it would have been obviouse when he was about 4/5mths old . :rant:
Sorry to hear this , but

He dosnt HAVE to have an operation , I know a lady who has had loads of whippets with one undecended and shes never lost one of them before 14 years of age . Even then, why remove the healthy one thats where it should be ? :eek:

The vets are not always right you know (w00t) How old is the dog ?

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a whippet when I was at home with an undescended testicle, he lived to be 17yrs old. He never had any problems!

If he was mine I would leave well alone, I know it is said there is a greater risk of cancer but where is the proof??

As Jax has said the vets are not always right.

I have also know dogs testicles drop as late as 2yrs old (it isnt very common but I know this case to be true) He had 2 when he left the breeder for a show home, then retained one, so was rehomed and at the age of 2 the previous owner went to visit the dog and low and behold he had 2 once again!

We got Mojo last Sunday and he had two descended testicles when we saw him. When i got him home and took him to the vets he only had one that was down.

We have now had him a week and i checked and he now has two that have dropped. Sometimes the trauma of a new home can cause them to go back up.

FionaS said:
We got Mojo last Sunday and he had two descended testicles when we saw him. When i got him home and took him to the vets he only had one that was down.We have now had him a week and i checked and he now has two that have dropped. Sometimes the trauma of a new home can cause them to go back up.

Thats right whippet puppies testicles are like yo-yo's any stress or change of circamstance and they go up.

:wacko: im well confused now .dont know weather to wait till he is 2yrs or have it done in cpl weeks like my vet said :blink: id be devistated if he became ill in the future because of somthing i should have done :blink:

sometimes when a puppy is on the table in the vets and the vet gets hold of the pups testicles they will retract them,out of fear or cold hands even.me id wait. :thumbsup:

kris said:
sometimes when a puppy is on the table in the vets and the vet gets hold of the pups testicles they will retract them,out of fear or cold hands even.me id wait. :thumbsup:
I have to agree with you Kris i would certainly wait

dawn said:
kris said:

his one testical hasnt been present since the day we got him (last wednesday) and he,s already 15mth old .ok im guna give my vet another call tomoz and see if he thinks waiting for a while would be ok :thumbsup:

kris said:
Hmm But this dog isn't a puppy.

nicky12 said:
dawn said:
kris said:

his one testical hasnt been present since the day we got him (last wednesday) and he,s already 15mth old .ok im guna give my vet another call tomoz and see if he thinks waiting for a while would be ok :thumbsup:

the answer will be no........... keerchinging or is that me being cynical

:- "

nicky12 said:
:wacko: im well confused now .dont know weather to wait till he is 2yrs or have it done in cpl weeks like my vet said  :blink: id be devistated if he became  ill  in the future because of somthing i should have done  :blink:
Personally I'd have the internal testicle removed now. If it's not down now then it's not going to come down. Not worth the slight risk of cancer IMO. Even if internal testicles don't become cancerous they can affect the ability of the dog to run because they hurt when they stretch out. This has been proven from other people's racing dogs. MOST racers that have dogs with retain testicles have the retain one removed because it effects their ability to run.

youre right beejay,but he is a young adolescent so maybe theres still chance of it coming down?after all shes only had him a few days and i daresay he might not be settled yet?maybe hes retracting it as hes not settled and when someones feeling his nuts hes a bit worried? :- "

sorry, youve just posted again. :lol: i was agreeing with your first post saying hes not a puppy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
kris said:
youre right beejay,but he is a young adolescent so maybe theres still  chance of it coming down?after all shes only had him a few days and i daresay he might not be settled yet?maybe hes retracting it as hes not settled and when someones feeling his nuts hes a bit worried? :- "
i could see he only had one testical after only half hr of him being here as it was visable when he lay on the floor .he will not be race or shown as he is just a pet .so could somone tell me the pros and con's of having him castrated :thumbsup:

oooooh,now youre opening up a can of worms!!!!! :lol: (w00t)

Negatives to being castrated are that some (maybe most) dogs can give off a scent which attracts other entire males rather as an in season bitch does.

If the dog is fear aggressive then this will understandably cause major problems.

Positives are that they can't produce puppies.

AND IMO entire male dogs are unlikely to risk being injured fighting them.

It can also make them more lazy/docile.

Oh and with no testicles then they can't develop testicular cancer. :b

From knowing racing folks that have had this problem with their dogs MOST of them have opted for removal of the retained testicle. Some of them have opted for outright castration. This is due to the dogs performance on the track and them having problems when trying to stretch out. (This doesn't apply to all dogs with retained testicles though).

If you must have him operated one , suggest that they just take the retained one and leave the `one ` thats there alone ,That way way he will continue to mature nicly , without getting lazy and fat . It this Vet wont do it , you are quite at liberty to go to another vet you know :)

Some friends of mine have a dog whose vet will just be taking the retained one away ;) , They had already decided to get a second opinion and the second vet said that was what he would have done anyway . A sensible one at last :- "

Its all right saying that having them castrated and spayed stops them getting cancer at a latter stage in their lives , but we `girlies` dont all have our breasts off `just in case ` now do we ;)

>Its all right saying that having them castrated and spayed stops them getting cancer at a latter stage in their lives , but we `girlies` dont all have our breasts off `just in case ` now do we

Actually Jax that is exactly what women with a history of breast cancer in their families sometimes do. I know this because a young cousin of mine has been given the option. So that 'girlie' may well opt for a 'just in case' solution.

Woman unlike dogs have mamagrams once they reach a certain age. They also do frequent breast exams. If any human is unlucky enough to develop cancer then they are offered a wide range of treatments. Dogs generally aren't. It's far more likely to kill them.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back