The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Being sick sometimes after feeding

Dylansmum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
5mth old Dylan has bouts of regurgitating his food. Not every time but its not unusual. He eats extremely quickly. We do use one of those delay bowls. Helps a bit but hasnt stopped the feeding frenzy.

I know whippets are known to have sensitive stomachs. We feed him tinned puppy food. We have tried the dried food. Not much different. He also eats grass.

We dont know what is best now for him really. Can anyone advise/recommend please? Thank you.

Is he an only dog? If not is he near other dogs when eating? This can make them bolt their food. He may will have learned to bolt it when he was competing with all his litter mates. This may well settle down when he realises that no one is going to take his food. I am assuming that humans are not taking his food away? There is an outdated theory that we should teach them who is boss by taking their food away. Not true.

If he is eating lots of grass it sounds as though he is feeling out of sorts. You could try giving him some natural yoghurt every day for a few weeks, or longer, to see if that "balances" his digestion. If he is on wet food then feeding it in a Kong toy might slow him up a bit?

Our diet expert may be along soon with some more ideas.

I am not the diet expert but if he is rushing, could you try hand feeding his dry food or using a snuffle mat? Or feeding a part of his allowance as reward for training? We sometimes also have a treasure hunt around the house for dry food hidden in little piles.

Thank you for your replys.

He is the pnly dog. Everything is quick so eating is no diff. Truth is im just not sure about what works and what to avoid. Most of the time he is ok. So unpredictable. He is car sick each time however. We are prepared for that.

The amount of foods, dry and wet are confusing.

Take a look at the website All About Dog Food. You can put in your dog's details and it will help narrow the field. Do make any changes very slowly.

If the regurgitation continues it might be worth a word with the vet. Some dogs are born with a congenital defect that might cause problems.

I have the same problem with the second dog I've taken on. I've ordered a slow feeding bowl just waiting for it to arrive. When i took her to the vet to register her and have a check up, i asked if she looked underweight, as i think she looks a bit under, but the vet says her weight is fine. I do feed my dog's together, I've thought about feeding separately, but i know she'll bolt off looking for where he's being fed, and will get there before me! I feed naturediet, both do well on it, but i was thinking of adding dry meal biscuits to bulk up her dinner, any thoughts?

If you feed her first and then shut her in/out with her food, she could eat alone. Then I would always pick up your other dog's bowl before releasing her. This will stop her rushing to get to it. Never let you other dog in to finish her food either. She will bolt it just in case he is coming to get it!

If you add dry biscuit to Nature Diet you are going to unbalance it. It is best to feed a complete meal just as it is. Some manufacturers make them interchangeable. Check with Nature Diet to see if they do a dry and a wet that can be mixed together. On the whole with wet food you are paying for 80% water. Check out the packaging and it will tell you how much water is in it.

Thanks gypsysmum, I've tried to feed her separetly and shut the door, but she jumps against the door, i don't want her to injure herself or think that behaving like that will make me open the door. We'll get there, she's 90% better behaviour wise than when i took her on - i knew what i was letting myself into with her, sometimes it feels like I'm taking two steps forward and one step back, but the progress is incredibly rewarding. You give great advice here gypsysmum, I look forward to reading your posts on here - hope that doesn't make me seem like a creep lol

You're very kind.

It is interesting that she is bolting her food and yet will leave it to jump up at the door. Perhaps something left over from her previous life?

My rescue, too, is 90% better than when he came. That last 10% is testing my patience though :(

Unlike you I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. The sanctuary he came from was rubbish. I asked not to be shown any dogs with strong hunting instincts such as lurchers etc. What did I get? A new breed called the Romanian Hunting Hound from Hell lol! Mind you, as they only ever walked them a few yards every day they could not have known I suppose?

Gypsysmum - i can totally relate to what you're saying. It's difficult thinking about or trying to think about how things were for them previously.. tolerance and patience.. If every human dog owner had those qualities the world would be a much better place - for dogs and humans

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back