The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bends

Having had a conversation with someone a while back it was mentioned that it might be a good idea if

• Distance 260m

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Distance 300m +

• Distance 400m

• Distance 400m +

• Shorter Distance than 260m ???

• Total voters
260 OR 275 AS KINSLEY IS ,IS PLENTY FAR ENOUGH FOR WHIPPETS :D CANT SEE RACERS WITH LITTLE DOGS WANTING TO RUN ANYMORE THAN THEY DO KNOW :(

would be interesting to see SC races over a longer distance' might see some mixed results.

would you run uptown over 400 against 70 plus lb ers :(

whippets bred for sprinting not staying ,allthough some can stay ....260 far enough i think, but not keen on bend racing any way...

I agree with Mutley, whippets are bred for sprinting & even the greyhound in them are usually sprint greyhounds.... Half lap round Kinsley is just about far enough for Ella, the rest she runs pulling her face.

Anyone ever been to any of these lurcher days which they hold at the greyhound stadiums? Kinsley had one about 8 years ago & you'd be surprised to see which dogs win at the longer distances, we watched one once think it were 1000m all the whippety types go like sh$t off a shovel for the 1st lap leaving the rest of the pack who catch up by the 2nd, with all the sprinters given up on the 2nd lap, your left with some little bedlington types - it's one of these who has kept a nice steady speed all the way round that manages the four laps & wins, bearing in mind the whips have dropped out ages ago! It's really good to see!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
get it right tanyia

its lamping larry not harry we would not like anyone thinking it was harry as they did with me being butch would we??????

Yes i think whippets are only built to run sprints, maybe they should keep them to straight racing and not bends, greyhounds only run bend tracks once in a night i seen you all running your whippets 3 and 4 times in one day , this can not be good for your dogs maybe thats why there so skinny

lampinglarry said:
Yes i think whippets are only built to run sprints, maybe they should keep them to straight racing and not bends, greyhounds only run bend tracks once in a night i seen you all running your whippets 3 and 4 times in one day , this can not be good for your dogs maybe thats why there so skinny
How many slips do you give yours at night? Whippets are tougher than G/hnds.

On the continent they run 350 & 450 METRES & run a couple of heats in a day. From some of the times posted they seem to average around 16+ yds per second too. Plus they are strictly 20" max height. Personally I'd like to see them run some 300's at least. It may give some of the back markers on sprint's more of a chance to show what they can do.

The BSFA run lure courses up to 600 yds, admittedly it's nowhere near as fast as racing but whippets usually exel at it & I haven't seen any coming off looking distressed. They run twice in a day too.

Terry Smith

yes neil in her peak'' i would have given uptown a race against the stunner.as this is the only 70 pounder i know. and secondly uptown girl was very strong from 200 onwards. and easily matched the stunner on the clock...

how many times as she raced over a longer distance than 275 on bends :(

only whitwood neil.but once tried her over 395 at highgate about two and half years ago' and they said that the time she did there would win her races......

I HAVE OFTEN SAID WHEN TAKING MY DOGS OUT FOR A FREE RUN THE SPRINTERS ARE ALWAY BACK AT MY FEET AFTER A COUPLE OF SHORT BURSTS, BUT I HAVE TWO THAT RUN AND RUN THIS TWO ARE DEFINETLY STAYERS ONE BEING MY 16LB TOBANA GOLD, COLOUR BLIND IF THAY HAD RUN ANOTHER BEND TOBY WOULD HAVE ONE NEARLY EVERY TIME, BUT HE COULD NOT GET NEAR HIM ON THE STRAIGHTS. SO I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ATLEAST ONE MARATHON EVENT A YEAR TO GIVE THE STAYERS A WIN. AS IN GRAYHOUND RACING.

MAYBE THE IRG COULD GIVE THIS A THOUGHT AS AN ALTERNATIVE FOR THEM. BUT IT WOULD ONLY WORK IN WEIGHT CLASSES, AS WE NOW THIS WOULD SUIT THE BIG DOGS.

no disrespect mark but to say a sixteen pound whippet could stay more than 260 ,i think is wrong. ??? isn't a sixteen pounder already staying if it can win over, or even finish 260 :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Vicky said:
I agree with Mutley, whippets are bred for sprinting & even the greyhound in them are usually sprint greyhounds.... Half lap round Kinsley is just about far enough for Ella, the rest she runs pulling her face.
Anyone ever been to any of these lurcher days which they hold at the greyhound stadiums?  Kinsley had one about 8 years ago & you'd be surprised to see which dogs win at the longer distances, we watched one once think it were 1000m all the whippety types go like sh$t off a shovel for the 1st lap leaving the rest of the pack who catch up by the 2nd, with all the sprinters given up on the 2nd lap, your left with some little bedlington types - it's one of these who has kept a nice steady speed all the way round that manages the four laps & wins, bearing in mind the whips have dropped out ages ago!  It's really good to see!!!

A old mate of mine won this long distance race at Kinsley with his whippet greyhound x bedlington, he's Maurice Dawes from Barnsley :thumbsup:

Some interesting posts on this topic ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back