The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Benylin For Kennel Cough...

Esty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Roscoe has been to the vet today and has been diagnosed with kennel cough :( He's had a jab to lower his temperature and anti-inflammatory. The vet was really thorough and because of his high temp has put him on antibiotics for 14 days. She also said to lessen the inflammation of the trachea caused by the coughing, we could give him one teaspoon of children's Benylin. However I forgot to ask which type of Benylin! Without wishing to appear daft, has anyone been told this/ done this before, and which Benylin did you use - chesty coughs or dry??! His cough seems dry, and his chest is clear but because of the coughing and retching he has been producing some phlegm :x I'm assuming I use the dry cough Benylin to stop the irritation??

Any advice on any aspects of Kennel cough gratefully received :)

That's a difficult one, because I was told once that you don't want to give an antitussive, as you want them to cough out the phlegm, as then there's less chance of it scarring the lungs. I'd go with honey just to sooth. The antiinflammatory should soon settle him down. Good luck :luck:

Hi Sharon

My two had kennel cough a couple of months back - it IS a nightmare! Not trying to teach you to suck eggs or repeat what the vet has already told you, but it is very contagious. So you'll probably have two whippies with it soon (particularly if they share feeding or water bowls). It's also still contagious for up to three weeks after the symptoms have disappeared. Other than that it's like the kids - keep their fluids up, and try and encourage plenty of rest!

Sorry I can't help with the Benylin decision.

HTH

zahra

when our lot had KC last year i found a drink of cold milk helped line their throat and also seemed to ease the cough more than anything else (the cough medicine seemed to make them worse)

hope he is feeling better soon :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Luckily I bought some goat's milk this morning (before I knew Ros was ill) so he can have some of that tomorrow. He had been off his food for a couple of days but I had put that down to a particularly bad food aggression standoff Ros and Gro had a couple of days ago - some very intimidating snarling and snapping as they managed to get to each other when I normally feed them in different rooms.

We go on holiday next Friday so it's going to be a very anti-social time if we are keeping the dogs away from other dogs! :blink: Midnight walks! It could have been worse - we are going to a windmill in Anglesey, self contained - imagine if we had been planning to put them in kennels -we'd have had to cancel. Similar story if we were going to a holiday park/ farm etc where they couldn't have realistically stayed away from other dogs. Nightmare.Will scrub down the mill when we've finished in case the next people take dogs lol.

I'm fully expecting Grover to get it, and he'll be worse cos he's a whinger at the best of times.. :D

Z, how long did your two have symptoms for? 'Cos it's only been about 6 hours and tbh I'm fed up of clearing phlegm up already :( :x

And also, can I pass it to other dogs eg via clothes, hands, boots etc as I volunteer at a greyhound rescue. I'm due to go again tomorrow but will cancel if there's any chance I could take the infection with me.

Hi

I was told (can't remember who by) that once there it lurked in the grass - so for example our two got it from the dog park - as did all of the other dogs in there, about 40 in all! But they quite often shared bowls of water etc. So I'm not sure - which I know doesn't answer your question re passing it on through clothes etc...unless you just made sure you put on fresh clothes before you go to work? Or perhaps ask the place you work - they might know? As for symptoms they were coughing up phlegm for about a week - and then the cough itself went after about 10 days! Sorry I don't have better news.

Last edited by a moderator:
id give the kennels a miss myself as like any other germs im sure you can pass it on :eek:

when mine had it 2 seemed worse than the others with the cough and little presents produced by the cough :x

but with in 48 hours all had stopped coughing and tbh you would never have guessed they had KC, i think this is where the problem lies....as soon as they stop coughing i thing some people take them out again as usual.....but for upto 3 weeks they can still pass it on to other dogs (in close contact by this point) my vet was happy for my dogs to go out again after 2 weeks...starting from when they stopped coughing, i had to give it a further week (infact i chose to give it an extra 2 week) to resume racing, when racing the dogs go in on the lure and pant heavily in each others face, so its easier to spread...your usual lead walk and not letting them meet/greet other dogs should be fine after 2 weeks from when the coughing stops......as i say this was the advise from my vets, i know other vets who think the dog should not leave the house for anything upto 6weeks :eek: :eek: :eek:

i gave mine the milk when they kept coughing and i think it soothed their throats and helped stop the coughing :thumbsup:

Hello again

What a horrible night! Poor Rossy was up at least 20 times coughing and retching and bringing 'presents' up - which meant so were we, cleaning up the 'presents' :x

I decided it was silly to go to the greyhound kennels - even if they caught kennel cough in isolation I'd have been convinced it was me, and given that my house feels like a sanitorium I couldn't be certain I wasn't carrying anything however clean I tried to be!

On the positive side, Ros has taken his antibiotics without a grumble, no mean feat given that they are the size of Frisbees...and I take joy in the fact that hopefully he won't be barfing stuff up by the time we go on holiday. I just wish Gro would show symptoms, as I'm sure he'll get it- I don't want his worst day to be the day we are driving down to Wales, I'd rather we got it over with now.

Thanks for all the advice. Ros seems ok in himself, just tired after a bad night's sleep.

poor baby, get well soon :luck:

sorry can't offer any advice as we haven't thankfully experienced this nightmare.

I know this has been discussed before - so, is it worth vaccinating against kennel cough?

I've heard it's like seasonal flu, there'll be different strains around each year. So you could vaccinate against this year's Kennel Cough but they could still get it next year. It's a mix of different infections - Ros has the Kennel Cough virus with an underlying bacterial infection, hence the anti-bios. I'd only vaccinate if I needed proof of vaccination for boarding kennels, and personally I'd rather not go abroad than put them in kennels :) If my Mum and Dad couldn't have them, I just wouldn't go away! For the moment we are happy to stay in the UK and take R and G with us.

Hi

dont know if it might help but when ours had the dreaded cough a couple of years back I gave them low fat vanilla ice cream with manuka honey, they seemed to find that very soothing. Yes I know Im a very indulgent mum :) but the ice cream soothed their throats and the manuka honey helped their immune system

Hope you are soon a cough free zone :)

I am generally against the idea of vaccinating for Kennel Cough but have decided to have mine done today. Kennel Cough is rife in the local area at present and seems quite a nasty strain.

The dogs are going into kennels in September (1st time ever) because I feel that Toddy is too much for my usual dog sitters to cope with. The kennels I have chosen are very highly recommended and heated. I am still dreading taking them there :( :( :(

I give the homeopathic remedy "drosera" which usually clears up the cough in a few days. Give a dose every hour first day and then three times a day. At least 20 mins away from food.

Poor little Rosscoe... Ben had kennel cough a year ago and it is for a dry cough that you give him ;)

Though to be honest cold yoghurt or ice cream will soothe his throat better also.

Poor Ben still suffers with a bit of a cough if he over exerts himself or is upset :(

I hope he gets better soon ((HUGS))

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again
What a horrible night! Poor Rossy was up at least 20 times coughing and retching and bringing 'presents' up - which meant so were we, cleaning up the 'presents' :x

I decided it was silly to go to the greyhound kennels - even if they caught kennel cough in isolation I'd have been convinced it was me, and given that my house feels like a sanitorium I couldn't be certain I wasn't carrying anything however clean I tried to be!

On the positive side, Ros has taken his antibiotics without a grumble, no mean feat given that they are the size of Frisbees...and I take joy in the fact that hopefully he won't be barfing stuff up by the time we go on holiday. I just wish Gro would show symptoms, as I'm sure he'll get it- I don't want his worst day to be the day we are driving down to Wales, I'd rather we got it over with now.

Thanks for all the advice. Ros seems ok in himself, just tired after a bad night's sleep.

he may not get it :)

4 of mine did get it and 1 didnt ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back