The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Best Flooring

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Maybe a silly question but I ll ask it anyway. What flooring is best with a dog? I'm having a new stairs and hallway carpet when my puppy as finished chewing at it, then I thought would laminate be better in the hall thinking of wet dog muddy paws in the winter or even doggy accidents then I read an article that some dogs struggle to walk on laminate floors so vinyl or LVT are a better option.. Any experiences or preferences would be grateful to help me decide on the right one

I hate laminate. Ive seen too many dogs struggle on it and even if they walk ok playing is a nightmare. Its noisy and not nearly as hard-wearing as you might think. When it starts to wear warp and split it can be downright dangerous as one lab who lived in a house I worked at found out when a long thin splinter sheared off and sliced into his paw.

living in a cold climate, i like tile with a good texture - like fine sand; it feels smooth to walk on, but it's grippy; it's durable, & easy to clean.
Plus i like the floors to be heated, using recirculating heated water running thru tubes between subfloor & tile surface. The small pumps are easily put into closets or other existing spaces.

I know folks who've installed them in travel-trailers & even sun-porches, as the heat from below is very efficient & greatly extends the usable 'season' for any sun-porch, making them comfy almost year-round.

If U don't want to heat it, rubber floors are a good option - they come in colors & patterns, & are quite durable. If U're only doing the entry area, it's not very costly, it's kind to feet, & it's easy-clean, with a good texture for dog traction.

- terry

Scratching hard floors can be an issue with some dogs - particularly if they tend to have long claws and like to do handbrake turns when sprinting round corners.

Also a laminate hater here. I've know dogs just refuse to walk on it. I'd go for either a non-slip tile or real wood. Also they both age gracefully which laminate does not!

it's the stuff carried in on shoes & dog's paws that i especially dislike, in any carpets or rugs - all my rugs are washable, ATM i have 3 woven-jute 5 x 8 rugs; they feel good underfoot, & if they get dirty, i turn the hose on 'em. :D

Automobile & truck particulates, metal oxides, mold spores, engine-oil, pollen, dog sh!t, snow & ice melters, lawn-fertilizer & herbicides, plain old dirt, they all come into the house as powders or bits on our shoes or the dog's feet - & wall-to-wall is practically IMPOSSIBLE to get them out of, once they're in it. :(
I take off my shoes at the door, & wear indoor slippers or sox-only. // The dog's feet get wiped, & if i think they've gotten wet, dirty, dusty, or laid on something messy, i wipe their undercarriage, too.

I made it a habit to brush my own dogs daily outside, & i also brush my clients' dogs B4 I bring them into the house after a walk or a training-session. // It reduces the hair dropped indoors, & gets some of the microdebris out of the dog's coat & off their skin B4 they come in. Every little bit helps. ;)

- terry

it's the stuff carried in on shoes & dog's paws that i especially dislike, in any carpets or rugs - all my rugs are washable, ATM i have 3 woven-jute 5 x 8 rugs; they feel good underfoot, & if they get dirty, i turn the hose on 'em. :D

Automobile & truck particulates, metal oxides, mold spores, engine-oil, pollen, dog sh!t, snow & ice melters, lawn-fertilizer & herbicides, plain old dirt, they all come into the house as powders or bits on our shoes or the dog's feet - & wall-to-wall is practically IMPOSSIBLE to get them out of, once they're in it. :(
I take off my shoes at the door, & wear indoor slippers or sox-only. // The dog's feet get wiped, & if i think they've gotten wet, dirty, dusty, or laid on something messy, i wipe their undercarriage, too.

I made it a habit to brush my own dogs daily outside, & i also brush my clients' dogs B4 I bring them into the house after a walk or a training-session. // It reduces the hair dropped indoors, & gets some of the microdebris out of the dog's coat & off their skin B4 they come in. Every little bit helps. ;)

- terry

Dudley is little, therefore low to the ground. In the winter his feet and undercarriage get washed in the sink. At this time of year he will roll in fox poo if at all possible and that is also a sink wash.

Misty use to do her best Bambi on ice impression on the laminate floor in the kitchen :D also it sounded like she was wearing stilettos :eek::D we solved this by putting a big rug down that leaves enough of a strip around the edges where the units are for any spills off of the worktops. The rest of the downstairs has very short pile carpet so that she doesn’t catch her nails in it. At the front door and back door we’ve got those mats that absorb wet and muddy footprints, these are very good as they can go in the washing machine too. I got mine from Hug Rug | Mats and Rugs | Door & Washable Rugs they are a bit pricey but worth it IMO.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back