The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bicycle speeds in 20 mph restricted zones

excuseme

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Are bicycles expected to respect and slow down like our vehicles in restricted 20 mph zones. They certainly don't appear to care about anyone else other than themselves. They never give way or move over even with very long queues of vehicles behind them on ordinary roads. Their just totally thoughtless and a danger to frustrated following vehicles. Where is the law to guide and control them?:mad:
One law for them and another for other road users:mad::mad::mad: I hope the thoughtless ones get what is coming to them one day:mad:

No, speed laws don't apply to bikes. And if they go at 30mph in 20mph zones, you're not going to be stuck behind them, are they?

There are considerate cyclists, and inconsiderate ones, just as there are considerate in inconsiderate drivers, dog walkers, etc.

Often cyclists appear to take up more of the road than they need because they can see what is coming up ahead, and/or they want to avoid a car overtaking too closely and pushing them close to the kerb, where there's a good chance they'll encounter a drain cover, discarded pizza box or roadkill and end up somersaulting over the handlebars. And we really need to encourage more people out of their cars and onto their bikes for the sake of the planet and all its inhabitants.

Yes, some cyclists are selfish. I wish there was a law requiring them to ring a bell when coming up behind you on footpaths, bridleways, etc. But as the parent of a keep cyclist who is always considerate to others (slows down and covers his brakes when passing people with dogs and/or children), I know that we should never generalise them as a group.

20 mph is 20 mph. So cyclists can overtake in a 20 mph zone, what a dangerous nightmare!
Where we are they are nothing but a dam nuisance, (luckily we have no local 20 mph restrictions)
I totally agree about bells on bikes, I thought that all bikes were supposed to,be sold with bells on. Or am I getting old and that was in the past.

I don't ride a bike, but there are loads in my city, as well as all sorts of other self-propelled transport such as unicycles and scooters! Cycling is very popular here, and generally I regard that as a good thing, because if they weren't on a bike, that would be another car on the road, some of them pumping out noxious fumes.

Certainly there is a breed of cyclist who cycles assertively, shall we say, if not aggressively. But if you are a car driver, there's no question who is going to come off worse if there's a collision. So, on the rare occasions that I drive, I'm always ultra careful and respectful of cyclists. After all, they are doing more to save the environment in that moment than I am. And most cyclists are polite and are pleased to acknowledge politeness from a driver, probably because they also endure quite a lot of abuse too.

But beyond all that, I find these sort of disagreements are part of a growing polarisation in society, where people adopt opposing positions on everything from cars vs bikes to Brexit vs EU, sexuality, veganism vs regenerative farming, and everything in between.

It's my view that we can't prosper - or even survive - as a society unless we become more tolerant and collaborative in our differences. Indeed, when the effects of climate change become unavoidably catastrophic over the next decade, we will all be forced to cooperate and work together - unless of course you are someone who disagrees that climate change is real - another bone of contention!

Adult cyclists around me are, by and large, scum. Routinely cycling very fast, going through red lights, shouting abuse, going down one way streets the wrong way, not having lights, holding up traffic by cycling slowly in the road when there's a new multi-million pound cycle lane right next to them, riding two abreast in heavily trafficked roads because they think they're on the Tour de France, cross-dressing, and generally being discourteous and aggressive. The local authorities need to get a grip on this. My local council has spent so much money on encouraging cyclists at the expense of all other road users, including pedestrians. It should be mandatory for insurance and identifying marks on bikes so offenders can be identified and punished for their infractions. There are some decent cyclists around here, but there are in the minority.

Only the other day I was walking my dog, stopped to chat to another dog walker on a footpath that's now been designated part of a local cycling route and a chap came barrelling past, shouting "are you gonna move or what?". I replied in kind, with several swear words added in. He didn't stop.

Cycling - a licence to ignore road traffic laws, be abusive to other people and escape accountability.

Adult cyclists around me are, by and large, scum. Routinely cycling very fast, going through red lights, shouting abuse, going down one way streets the wrong way, not having lights, holding up traffic by cycling slowly in the road when there's a new multi-million pound cycle lane right next to them, riding two abreast in heavily trafficked roads because they think they're on the Tour de France, cross-dressing, and generally being discourteous and aggressive. The local authorities need to get a grip on this. My local council has spent so much money on encouraging cyclists at the expense of all other road users, including pedestrians. It should be mandatory for insurance and identifying marks on bikes so offenders can be identified and punished for their infractions. There are some decent cyclists around here, but there are in the minority.

Only the other day I was walking my dog, stopped to chat to another dog walker on a footpath that's now been designated part of a local cycling route and a chap came barrelling past, shouting "are you gonna move or what?". I replied in kind, with several swear words added in. He didn't stop.

Cycling - a licence to ignore road traffic laws, be abusive to other people and escape accountability.
These attitudes are exactly the problem.

Everyone is so angry these days.

Dog owners are the worst. They let their dogs crap everywhere, and if they do bother to pick it up, they sling the bags into trees. They leave their dogs in the garden for hourse barking their heads off, even at night. And if they get fed up of the dog, they just dump them in rescues. Plus, while we're all being told we should eat less meat, their dogs devour huge amounts, doing more damage to the environment than a 4x4.

And as for Am XL bullies, well, they're clearly nasty vicious brutes - just look at what the media is saying.

No?

I agree with Feverfew - it is very easy to criticise groups of people, and thus alienate them. We need to celebrate considerate people, and embrace cyclists, dog walkers, all races, genders and sexual persuasions.... I would continue even more eloquently but I have a toddler who wants to help typeht'ppppppppppppp-

We need to celebrate considerate people

I agree. Sadly, most cyclists around me do not fit the definition of considerate people. I'm sure if you have abuse hurled at you for blocking someone's speed run, nearly get run over multiple times by cyclists coming round blind bends on footpaths in the dark without lights, your opinion might be different. These are offences, police aren't interested, but yes, let's embrace these poor souls.

I agree. Sadly, most cyclists around me do not fit the definition of considerate people. I'm sure if you have abuse hurled at you for blocking someone's speed run, nearly get run over multiple times by cyclists coming round blind bends on footpaths in the dark without lights, your opinion might be different. These are offences, police aren't interested, but yes, let's embrace these poor souls.
Maybe I've been lucky, but I have to say, living in a city that has more than the average number of cyclists, I have never had abuse hurled at me or indeed got into any sort of altercation with a cyclist - ever.

Not saying it doesn't happen, of course, but maybe your problem with bikes lies closer to home than you think. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, including over reacting to something, but it doesn't do stress levels (or blood pressure) any good to get angry about it or to get into altercations.

That's my take on it anyway - works for me.

I live on the edge of a National Park and although we meet polite and considerate cyclists, there are, sadly, far more of the other sort. I can empathise with arealhuman concerning the high-speed ones riding on footpaths (daylight and dark) where they shouldn't be anyway, posing a considerable danger to everyone else. Then there are the groups blocking the roads which unfortunately stick in the mind much more than the really thoughtful ones that go single file or pause on their run to let the traffic by (always thanked by me). When I used to ride horses (we have these in abundance too) we would pull off the road for a moment to let traffic past. I wish more cyclists would do the same. As for the sharing of rights of way with cyclists, sadly it's the foot traffic that come at the bottom of the safety list, especially if old and/or frail, walking doddery old dogs, small children and any other vulnerable users one can think of. A fast cyclist going past a horse or several, on a regulation-width bridleway, poses a danger to everyone, and some horses can pose a danger right back.

I'd love to see cyclists with their own dedicated paths, but I doubt if some would stick to them. Round here, the National Trust is forever reinstating gate barriers to keep cyclists off footpaths, and some people tear them down within days. No idea who these would be.

That's fair enough. I've had a cyclist yell at me because I didn't manage to manouvre Jasper to the side of the path in 2 seconds when he came round the corner and I was mid-poo-picking. The occasional cyclist has come round a corner on the pavement without being ready for any pedestrians. And DS2, when cycling, has also had a few moans about inconsiderate people. But what I am uncomfortable with is people being criticised as a group, as opposed to individuals, just as we wouldn't appreciate being lumped with all the dog owners who don't pick up after their pets.

We certainly never go out without a pocket full of neatly folded poo bags and my shoulder bag also has a large supply. I buy mine from "Mutts Butts", 250 or 500 bag packs. Our lot do most of their poos in our donkey field.

I live on the edge of a National Park and although we meet polite and considerate cyclists, there are, sadly, far more of the other sort. I can empathise with arealhuman concerning the high-speed ones riding on footpaths (daylight and dark) where they shouldn't be anyway, posing a considerable danger to everyone else. Then there are the groups blocking the roads which unfortunately stick in the mind much more than the really thoughtful ones that go single file or pause on their run to let the traffic by (always thanked by me). When I used to ride horses (we have these in abundance too) we would pull off the road for a moment to let traffic past. I wish more cyclists would do the same. As for the sharing of rights of way with cyclists, sadly it's the foot traffic that come at the bottom of the safety list, especially if old and/or frail, walking doddery old dogs, small children and any other vulnerable users one can think of. A fast cyclist going past a horse or several, on a regulation-width bridleway, poses a danger to everyone, and some horses can pose a danger right back.

I'd love to see cyclists with their own dedicated paths, but I doubt if some would stick to them. Round here, the National Trust is forever reinstating gate barriers to keep cyclists off footpaths, and some people tear them down within days. No idea who these would be.
I think you're right that poor and rude cyclists and drivers tend to stick in the mind more than the considerate ones.
It's interesting you say you live near a National Park though, because my city is actually Brighton (lots of bikes) but my house backs onto the South Downs (more bikes, lots of sheep, cows and horses). I walk most days on the Downs (and have walked the South Downs Way twice) but haven't experienced any memorably bad behaviour from cyclists. I'm quite tolerant though, both as a walker and a driver, so if someone has been a bit rude or unpleasant, I don't respond in kind and consequently it doesn't escalate or linger in the mind. I notice a lot more cyclists wearing reflective clothing than they did in the past, which is useful, though I agree using the bell a bit more often also helps.
For the wobbly of foot (am one myself, with old hip and tibia fractures), I recommend a sturdy walking stick or pole - mine has kept me on my feet a few times, alongside physio and lots if balance exercises!

Last edited:
To this day maybe 6 years on I recall the day I was walking down a canal towpath with my spaniel - suddenly I was screamed at to get out of the way as a bike ( no bell rung ) speeded past.
I went side ways into the bushes luckly and not the water, lead dropped and bolting spaniel.
Another oncoming dog walker caught my boys lead, and a lovely couple of a barge helped me.
I have a naughty hope that she did it to someone else who somehow sharp footed her and she went into the canal.

Plus not sure now but then I was told that it is not law to have a bell on a bike...........really

Some of our nicer cyclists call out "good morning/afternoon" or similar, which is IMO less "commanding" than ringing a bell. That sort say "thank you" as we get out of the way as well.

We get some good 'uns like that, and I always make a point of thanking them. Whether they call out or ring their bell, I do worry about people who are hard of hearing - cyclists have to be aware that the person may not respond.

What I do wish they wouldn't do is call out something like 'coming through on your left'. Being a typical female who sometimes gets their rights and lefts mixed up, by the time I've worked out that I need to keep to the right, they've already come past!

I don't think there is much you can do about this, unless a cyclist was obviously in breach of the law. It surprises me the irresponsible way that people use roads generally, but I suppose you have to remember that most people are sensible.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back