The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Big boned dog breeds pet value?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
IMO dogs have to live in our world and so have to live by our rules. Within those parameters, we can - and should - make their lives as easy and fulfilling as we can. But when it comes to inborn and natural behaviour, we sometimes have to say "No" for the sake of our social mores, and sometimes also for the dogs' welfare. We don't allow indiscriminate breeding, for instance, or uncontrolled predation.

He would love agility I think, but of course would never be able to compete due to size me thinks.

Jan, having been involved in agility years ago, (when I was younger and fitter), their is no reason at all why you cant take him to try and run at agility. OK, in most classes their are a few who hope to win but the majority are there simply to have fun with their dog, knowing very well their chances of getting up on the leaders is remote. So I would say if you fancy it get in touch with a local club and I am sure they will make you very welcome.

None in particular - I was making the point that what you might think of as 'work' and the dog might think of as 'work' could be very different. So you don't have to reject the idea of having a borzoi just because you can't let him go chasing wolves, and you can do agility, scentwork, etc. in your back garden.

Don't let his size put you off agility - he doesn't need to be competitive and win rosettes, he only has to enjoy it. I've seen some wonderful vids of sighthounds doing agility, and the best bits are where they get a fit of the zoomies and make up their own course. I'd rather watch that than border collie agility any day!

I'm not too hung up over the terminology of 'owner', 'partnership' or whatever because my relationship with my dog goes beyond those terms. I suppose I see it more as a parent/child relationship - I have the right to make decisions about how to rear him, where he sleeps, whether and how others an interact with him, but I also have clear responsibilities regarding his welfare, quality of life, etc. And there will be clashes or compromises when he and I have different opinions over where he should sleep, for instance, where the rights and the responsibilities need to be balanced.

I totally agree with all your comments - now I have to say ---------OMG does that mean he will ALWAYS get the zoomies!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He might at agility, Jan - but only because it's SO MUCH FUN!!! Search for 'borzoi agility' on Youtube and enjoy some vids... You would have to take into account a borzoi's long legs and back and look into whether you have to take it more carefully than you would a more compact breed.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back