The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bitches Faster Than Dogs??

Nubian

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Being new and still quite green in the whippet racing world I do a lot of probing and asking questions.

I had quite a bit of experience in the greyhound world and I was quite surprised to learn from a lot of people in the whippet world who say that bitches are faster than dogs.

I have absolutely no idea whether this is actually true because I've not been around in this game long enough to form my own opinion but I do know that as far as greyhounds are concerned this is certainly not the case but it would be interesting to see whether things are different with whippets.

You would struggle to find a bitch fast enough to win the Greyhound Derby!

So what I'm asking is whether in your view it is true that as far as whippets are concerned, bitches are faster than dogs?

If so why should this be so and what is it about whippets that makes the bitches faster?

I repeat, I have absolutely no experience and I am very new to it all but I have a hunch (.. and it's only a hunch) that this may appear to be so only because whippet racing seems to be graded according to weights. This is not so in greyhound racing. Dogs are bigger than bitches and so generally weigh more but pound for pound it may be that bitches are faster but once you start getting down to raw speed and forgetting about weight then the heavier animals (presumably dogs) start to come into their own. In other words a good big 'un is usually going to beat a good little 'un and once you take away the weight classifications then things may be very different!

Am I talking complete rubbish or could there be some truth in this? As a newbie I'm not here to pretend to be clever or tread on anyone's toes just wondering what you might think!

Last edited by a moderator:
generally this is correct-though there will always be exceptions to the rule-

why? ........1 reason is probably down to speed needed for hunting/killing to provide for their young-like the lioness.

generally this is correct-though there will always be exceptions to the rule-why? ........1 reason is probably down to speed needed for hunting/killing to provide for their young-like the lioness.
Hi Karen!

I see your point but if that's the case why are greyhound dogs faster than greyhound bitches? What I can't understand is that what or why is it that whippets are different?

If you look at races that are all in ABC races. Most of the main finalists are bitches. In the Scottish Grand National were the semi's are run dog and bitch together 2008 they were all bitches in the final.

If you look at races that are all in ABC races. Most of the main finalists are bitches. In the Scottish Grand National were the semi's are run dog and bitch together 2008 they were all bitches in the final.
Hi Sharon!

What are ABC races? Are they based on weights or are they graded in some way?

Was the Scottish Grand National open to all comers?

I am truly amazed that it resulted in an all bitch final. It would be interesting to see the proportion of bitches entered compared to the numbers of dogs. Maybe there is something in this. Either way I find this issue really interesting!

generally this is correct-though there will always be exceptions to the rule-why? ........1 reason is probably down to speed needed for hunting/killing to provide for their young-like the lioness.
Hi Karen!

I see your point but if that's the case why are greyhound dogs faster than greyhound bitches? What I can't understand is that what or why is it that whippets are different?
don't know? my auntie has greyhounds-we've had the same chat.

not the case with scratch dogs as imo 2 of the best 40lber r kaiser chief dog and bagheera bitch both very fast and think theyve both won against each other. abcde racing is nornally in 2 weight classes say up to 24lb and up to 32lb dogs and bitches all in, whoever wins the heat goes thru to the A final or semi final 2nd goes in the B and so on.

Perhaps it's down to distance, males are generally stronger than females and perhaps have a little more "in the tank" to hang on longer in the 4 bend races.

I wonder, in whippet straight racing the bitches tend to have the advantage over the dogs but what does evidence show on the bends ? Bitch v. Dogs in scratch which tends to come off the winner on Straights v. Bends.

I BELIEVE ITS TO DO WITH YDS PER POUND AND THE FACT IF YOU GET A DOG AND BITCH THE SAME SIZE THE DOG WILL WEIGH HEAVIER DUE TO ITS GENITALIA.IN THE 60S TO THE MID 80 S THE BWRA THE RULING BODY OF THE TIME USED TO RUN OFF THE SUPREME BITCH WITH THE SUPREME DOG ON THE DAY AT MEASHAM AND TO MY KNOWLEDGE IN THE 25 YEARS OR SO ONLY 2 DOGS WON THE OVERALL GOLD FAME AND MY OWN ARCTIC FOX HAVING 9 RACES ON THE DAY.THERE HAS BEEN MANY GREAT DOGS OVER THE YEARS BUT THEY COULD NEVER COMPARE WITH THE CLASSIC BITCHES.I HAVE ALSO BEEN A BIG GREYHOUND OWNER AND HAVE OFTEN WONDERED WHY THE DIFFERENCE .I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE SARAHS BUNNY TRAINED BY DE MULDER WIN THE DERBY AND ALSO DOLORES ROCKET.THEY WERE BOTH MASSIVE BITCHES EVEN BY TODAYS STANDARDS.ANOTHER STRANGE FACT IN GREYHOUNDS IS THAT ALL THE GREAT STAYERS ARE BITCHES MAYBE THE OPPOSITE IN WHIPPETS OR DEFINITLY NOT SO APPARENT .GOOD TOPIC

Hi Sharon!

What are ABC races? Are they based on weights or are they graded in some way?

Was the Scottish Grand National open to all comers?

I am truly amazed that it resulted in an all bitch final. It would be interesting to see the proportion of bitches entered compared to the numbers of dogs. Maybe there is something in this. Either way I find this issue really interesting!
Think Carole answered about ABC racing. the Grand National was BWRA. the ht were dogs and bitch sep. but after that they went all in .ie. 19lb bitch against the 19lb dog winner. all the bitches won. takes a very good dog to beat a bitch.

A GOOD MALE WILL A GOOD FEMALE AT ANYTHINK :sweating:

I BELIEVE ITS TO DO WITH YDS PER POUND AND THE FACT IF YOU GET A DOG AND BITCH THE SAME SIZE THE DOG WILL WEIGH HEAVIER DUE TO ITS GENITALIA.IN THE 60S TO THE MID 80 S THE BWRA THE RULING BODY OF THE TIME USED TO RUN OFF THE SUPREME BITCH WITH THE SUPREME DOG ON THE DAY AT MEASHAM AND TO MY KNOWLEDGE IN THE 25 YEARS OR SO ONLY 2 DOGS WON THE OVERALL GOLD FAME AND MY OWN ARCTIC FOX HAVING 9 RACES ON THE DAY.THERE HAS BEEN MANY GREAT DOGS OVER THE YEARS BUT THEY COULD NEVER COMPARE WITH THE CLASSIC BITCHES.I HAVE ALSO BEEN A BIG GREYHOUND OWNER AND HAVE OFTEN WONDERED WHY THE DIFFERENCE .I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE SARAHS BUNNY TRAINED BY DE MULDER WIN THE DERBY AND ALSO DOLORES ROCKET.THEY WERE BOTH MASSIVE BITCHES EVEN BY TODAYS STANDARDS.ANOTHER STRANGE FACT IN GREYHOUNDS IS THAT ALL THE GREAT STAYERS ARE BITCHES MAYBE THE OPPOSITE IN WHIPPETS OR DEFINITLY NOT SO APPARENT .GOOD TOPIC
This is amazing! There must be a reason why the great dogs could never compare with the classic bitches!

I know that greyhound bitches are great stayers and conversely, there are very few great greyhound sprint bitches but I simply can't get my head round the differences with whippets!

Could it be that people seem to choose to race bitches more and that it is a bit of a numbers game?

Maybe the standard 150 yard straight sprint is not true test of strength? Yet if it was just a question of exploding from the traps I'd expect dogs to have that bit more power so if 150 yards is too short that shouldn 't be a problem?

Is there a difference between whippet x whippet and straight greyhound x whippet crosses? I suppose all these questions could be because I'm new and have a lot to learn but I will certainly keep my eyes open and try to suss this out!

if you raced ghd at yd per lb start given i think you find the bitches would win with greyhounds too :thumbsup: thats why with whippets it is so as a dog of equal size would be on average 2lb heavier in a whippet and he not make often two yds up at 150 yd race

not the case with scratch dogs as imo 2 of the best 40lber r kaiser chief dog and bagheera bitch both very fast and think theyve both won against each other. abcde racing is nornally in 2 weight classes say up to 24lb and up to 32lb dogs and bitches all in, whoever wins the heat goes thru to the A final or semi final 2nd goes in the B and so on.
This may be the purest test of out and out speed and it is interesting that you say that the Kaiser Chief dog and the Bagheera bitch have won against each other so this may show that ultimately show that there is not much in it.

I have had the pleasure to see Bagheera race and I was left in absolutely no doubt that this is one seriously fast whippet! It seems that Kaiser Chief may be a match for her. I'll be looking out to see if there are any other dogs that can do the same!

scratch dogs are faster thanthe bitches i think

in the heavy weight up to 35,sun prince,was the best last year. very close sugar rush and chris and robs bitch???names all very fast. chris and robs was the best on the bends closely by sugar rush,but think rapscallion (dog) could give them a very hard race,but he hasnt had a lot of luck this bend season,sun prince dosnt like the bendy bits.

a dog showing on the bends this year is berts primus .

but ruby murry running fantastic. the littuns the bitches seem to be the best, maybe cos there are not many light weight dogs about???????

nice to read something interesting who got the answer?????? dog or bitch :wacko: :thumbsup:

My dog rapscallion never lost 2 a bitch at or around his weight

On the bends

On straights at his best sun prince the best for me dog or bitch

Maid ya point on bends has given top class bitches including

One of best bitches mazie mu yards and won

On the day anything can happen

Seems to me bigger the whippet its the dogs that seem

To be faster . Lighter defo bitches

We have been lucky enough to have 3 dogs over the years that have beat bitches in races and run offs, Steinman 19lb Steweret 29 lb and Streisand 21lb all ran bends and straights, all were a pleasure to watch run especially Stewart when he was giving a lot of start away and would finish like a train :))

if you had scr racing for every weight such as 16lb 17lb 18lb and so on dogs and bitches together 9 times out of 10 the bitch will win, yard a pound is an unfair race format in my opinion ,but over the years i raced the vast majority of bitches were the fastest,compared to the dogs.

as for scr racing i think it's about 50/50 some years you get a dog that dominates other years it's the bitch. just my opinion. ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back