The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Biting when training

Mossdog1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 1 1/2 year old Border Collie, he is really intelligent and learns at a fast rate, however when I am training him he is constantly jumping for the treat or toy, biting my hands and legs. I cant put my hand anywhere near him without him going for the toy. Is this just a dog who need more frequent exercise. (I'm struggling to let him off the lead at the min) or is there something I should be doing to stop this behaviour in order to calm him down when training.

Yes he does need to have lots of exercise. Of course first you have to teach a recall! This can be done around the house and garden where you call him and reward him with a game or a treat. Never call him to do something negative with him like ending his fun in the garden etc. It must always be something positive at the end of a recall. If he has been naughty then just ignore him (they hate to be ignored! It is like a slap in the face) Find a safe place to let him off lead first and don't be in too much of a hurry to call him back. Just run away from him and be really happy when he follows. Keep him guessing where you are going all the time. Play with him and put in a few recalls so that you can reward him well. He must enjoy coming back to you so never be negative no matter how long he has taken to come back. If you can't praise and reward him (you should) then don't say anything at all. He must never think "I am not going back - it is more fun staying away". He should want to run back for the treat/thrilling game that is on offer with you.

The biting is probably caused by frustration. He is "working" to get the toy or treat and is frustrated when he doesn't get it. Break his training into manageable chunks where he get the treat or toy after a short time. He must never get it just after biting so your timing needs to be spot on to release the toy/treat BEFORE he bites. Then start adding one second to the time he works before getting the toy/treat. So if he works for five seconds and gets his reward (without biting) then just work another second before releasing it. Gradually build this up until he can work for slightly longer each time. If he starts biting go back to the level he was at before for a day or two before trying to stretch it out again.

Why not find an APDT trainer in your area for some lessons?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back