The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Black dog turning brown

Ksf

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hiya!

Does anyone know any reasons as to why my black dog has a brown undertone?
I have researched far and wide. I have read it could be the sun bleaching, however even now in winter he still has a brown tinge, I brush him everyday to get rid of dead fur (he has part doodle in him). He always looks 'black' but in the light he just has an all over slight brownish tinge. I rehomed him when he was 10 months and his previous owners said he developed it around 5 months old. I also feed him a raw diet and give him fruit and veg and extra supplements, so I was wondering whether I could be missing out on some other supplements?
I've just been putting it down to genes at the moment but if anyone else might know the cause it would be helpful, thanks!

I would guess it's just his genes. Does his coat otherwise look healthy, e.g. not dry and brittle?

I would guess it's just his genes. Does his coat otherwise look healthy, e.g. not dry and brittle?

Thanks judy, not particularly, the lower part of his back is a lot coarser, but I have found that happens with other dogs, but the rest of his coat is nice and healthy:rolleyes: must be in the genes!

Can you post photos? Is he double coated?

It's common for black coats to have an element of brown in them. Happens with horses too. There are various supplements for improving coat quality, and some Show people use herbals to keep black coats black, so that might be worth investigating.

Assuming your dog is otherwise healthy, of course. If you feel general health could be improved, that's the place to start.

Thank you! I was thinking maybe omega 3 oil to see if that might improve it. His general health is fine, and his skin is healthy, so may just be a brown hue

It's common for black coats to have an element of brown in them. Happens with horses too. There are various supplements for improving coat quality, and some Show people use herbals to keep black coats black, so that might be worth investigating.

Assuming your dog is otherwise healthy, of course. If you feel general health could be improved, that's the place to start.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back