The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Black Labrador claws

EmmaLou

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I normally take my girl to the vets for her claw clipping as they are black but they never take much off and when I get home her claws still tap on the floor, although they are a little shorter. Anyhow, I have just bought a nail file that spins. It is excellent and is quiet but i am still scared of taking too much off. I have taken a decent amount off this morning but cannot really see the black quick mark. It is difficult to see as her claws could be cleaner. Her claws just sit above the floor. She doesn’t like it as the vet has cut her quick once before but as her claws are still tapping should I pursue with it? The forums say if they are tapping they are too long but seem to think from a previous visit to the vets she may have longer quicks.I know they should stay short walking on the roads but this doesn’t seem to work with her and she is walkedmon the road every morning.

The road walking only really works if your dog's foot is at the correct angle. If it's more like a human foot with the heel on the ground than one pointing down like a ballet dancer, the nails may not get enough contact to wear down.

Getting the quick to recede takes time.

although our lot get good daily exercise, it is all off road/pavement and walks are only on grass in the fields and woodland. I clip our dogs nails myself and to finish the job I use an electric "Whal" grinder.
You will be surprised how much further you can grind the nails back after clipping them. If you can still see the soft pulp in the claw you can probably go a little further, but probably it is best to get used to doing it yourself first and be cautious not to go too far and upset your dog.
Just a little and often while you both get used to it and you will both gain each others confidence. You will find how far you can go with practice.
Clipping or grinding our dogs nails should not be an excuse for less exercise:eek:

Last edited:
although our lot get good daily exercise, it is all off road/pavement and walks are only on grass in the fields and woodland. I clip our dogs nails myself and to finish the job I use an electric "Whal" grinder.
You will be surprised how much further you can grind the nails back after clipping them. If you can still see the soft pulp it the claw you can probably go a little further, but probably it is best to get used to doing it yourself first and be cautious not to go too far and upset your dog.
Just a little and often while you both get used to it and you will both gain each others confidence. You will find how far you can go with practice.
Clipping or grinding our dogs nails should not be an excuse for less exercise:eek:
Thanks so much for your reply. She is happier with the grinder than cutting them for sure (with treats). I won’t do ny more today but feel I can go further but being the first time will not stress her any more today. Like yours, she walks on the verge too so is not getting proper road walking all of the time. The tapping on the floor is annoying but they are not looking so long they are overly long. There is a little clearance from the edge of the claw to the floor but not sufficient I don’t think.

Some people can be a little evangelical about claw clipping. I'd say do it little and often, but not worry if they still click. The last thing you want is to go too far and hurt her, as then she might not let you near them again.

Aaaand - remember you don't have to clip all the nails in one go. My dogs were much more tolerant of me clipping two or three nails at a time, then lots of rewards and that was it for the day.

My experience says that not all dogs can safely have their nails clipped to the point where they don't tap on a hard surface. It's all about the foot conformation, especially as they get older and (just like us) it changes.

I envy those who's dogs feet allow the nails to grow down and touch the floor or pavement. I find that our lot have slightly flatter feet and the nails tend to grow forward:(

One of our girls absolutely screams if she has the nail clippers or the grinder near her feet. (Ah but she knows that her dad will come running and make a big fuss of her, and I get the blame:eek: )

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back