The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bleeding After Mating

Strike Whippets

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just over 2 weeks ago Inca was mated ..........Her season then came to an end about a week after the 2nd mating took place .......Today she has started spotting blood again, is this something to be concerned about ??........Thanks in advance .............Hannah and Inca :huggles:

:D Hi Hanna. This happened to my sisters first whippet, she went on bleeding for 6 weeks and still produced a lovely litter of four healthy pups. :thumbsup:

But if it becomes at all smelly or she has a temp whisk her down to the vets to be on the safe side. :)

Inca's bleeding slightly more now (a browny red colour), but she hasn't got a temprature and she seems fine in herself .......And ate all of her tea ......I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I'm not counting on any pups :(

cassie had the same thing for about 10 days but look at her pups. dont worry she will be fine :thumbsup:

I'm a worry wart Hannah, :b so if it were me I'd be on the phone to my vet asking questions.

could be pyrometra?raised temperature,drinking lots of water.wouldnt do any harm to ring vet an get it checked out

Last edited by a moderator:
don't know much about dogs, but used to be a midwife for humans and I know that some human females get an implantation bleed that lasts for four days or so when the embryo beds into the uterine wall. When do canine embryos implant? Could this be a similar phenomenon?

Helen :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ......I phoned my vet this afternoon and it might not be good :( .....but as she hasn't got a temp, the blood/discharge dosn't smell and she hasn't gone off her food then I think we'll have to wait and see for the time being :sweating: :blink:

:D Best of luck Hanna :luck: Let us know how she gets on.

:)) Hello Hannah,

Sorry to write this but I agree with Lana. Get her to a vet. Ask for a swab to be done. This will identify what the problem is. If their is a problem at least you will be able to deal with it. If she is just having a funny pregnacy at least your mind will be at rest. Jill. :teehee:

Inca has been to our vets this morning and everything looks ok......temps fine and a swabs been done.......just waiting for the results ...........Can you tell this is the first time i've ever done this ?? :sweating:

Hi Hannah,

When bitches come into season they can and sometimes do pick up an infection.

Evan when mated. It can be called an infection if caught early and treated. But if an infection is not treated it can become what is called pyrometra. This translates into two catogorities closed and open pyrometra. Closed pyrometra is when the uterus if full of pus and can not get out. Open is when it can get out. Their is no GOOD pyrometra but if you ever do have it pray for an open one.

Please I do not want to distress you, but taking her for a swab is the best thing to do. Should there be anything wrong it easy to treat NOW. If left, and she does have an infection, it could become very nasty and very costley.

Please keep us updated on Inca's progress, and I hope she is only being a silly girl and having a funny pregnancy. If there is nothing wrong I apoligise for up setting you, but then better to be sure than sorry. Jill :teehee:

Thanks all :huggles: ........Inca's swab results have come back clear of any infection or such like, but i'll keep a close eye on her just in case :) .......Thanks for the link, it was very reassuring :D ........... :cheers: Hannah and Inca

Yes it is :D ........Typical bloody Inca though :oops: ......Always has to be different (w00t)

:D Thats great news Hanna......... fingers crossed for a nice litter :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back