The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Blindness in my 12wk old pup

longbird

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our pup is called lady

we took her of the streets..we live in turkey

so vets arnt as up to date as uk

we took her for her 12wk injection

they also gave her a flea and worm injection

which i wasnt expecting

a few days later she was sick a few times..on christmas ev she fell of a 10ft wall..we checked her no broken bones she seemed fine in herself...not sure if she had gone blind b4 the fall, and thats y she fell..but xmas morning she was latharcic and blind ..as they dont do xmas in turkey we took the hr drive to the nearest vet..who told us shed picked up an infection..put her on 5ml of pencilling for 2wks..and some eye cream..do you think she will get her eyesight back..inherself she is so happy..responding very well to us..

Hi longbird

So sorry to hear that your puppy has lost her sight. I'm afraid that it's not possible to predict whether she will regain her sight without knowing what your vet knows, and even then your vet could be wrong or just hoping that the sight returns. The blindness could be resulting from an infection and the cause of her falling or it could be a result of her falling, and if it's a result of her falling then it could be a brain injury or detached retina which won't recover.

I hope that she does recover her sight, but please do bear in mind that animals that grow up blind quite often adjust so well to their disability that it becomes harder and harder to tell whether they are blind as they develop. The one golden rule is that you don't do anything to upset her mind mental map of where everything is in your home. This could be moving the furniture around or it could be steam cleaning to remove the scents that she uses for navigation.

One of my cats went blind with cataracts and the only thing that she stopped doing was jumping because she clearly didn't feel confident to work out the distances. She still got around the house, used the stairs, climbed onto furniture etc, and to those who didn't know, they would never guess that she couldn't see.

For now, please try not to worry about her and just love her lots, give her her medicine and cross your fingers. She will grow up happy and healthy whether she can see or not :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back