The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Blueberry Open - Stanborough

Discussion in 'Dog Sports' started by Rob Rixon, Jul 8, 2012.

  1. Rob Rixon

    Rob Rixon New Member Registered

    Messages:
    545
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hi All

    Due to the very bad weather the Stanborough Blueberry Open at their Peter's Green track has been cancelled. :unsure:

    Thanks to Trish Bawden for her Phone calls and thank goodness for mobile phones.

    I was on my way when I got the call.

    I'm sure the Stanborough committee will keep us informed about any re-arranged details.
     
  2. betsy

    betsy New Member Registered

    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    whilst it's understandable that Stanborough had to be cancelled because of the track and ground being waterlogged,having started our journey just after 6am.and then being informed at 9am of the cancellation was not acceptable. Apart from the fuel cost and wasted time involved,why wasn't the decision made to cancel taken on the saturday as the conditions couldn't have changed that much in 24 hours. Just food for thought;
     
  3. Trish

    Trish 11 OF THE BEST Registered

    Messages:
    25,526
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    38
    We too was 10 mins from the track when we heard of the cancellation , 160 miles already travelled .

    The decision should have been made alot sooner .

    We wasted £64 in fuel :(
     
  4. slimfast

    slimfast Elaine smith Registered

    Messages:
    2,669
    Likes Received:
    42
    Trophy Points:
    0
    :( :( :( :( :( :(
     
  5. lynn3

    lynn3 New Member Registered

    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    3
    No one was more disappointed than us that Stanborough didn't run. We also understand why comments are being made about the late cancelation. We arrived at the track about 7.00pm on Saturday. Walked the track with the dogs at least three times through the course of the evening. Yes the track was wet but no standing water, looked good and we would have been happy to have run our dogs. Unfortunately the weather changed dramatically in the early hours of Sunday morning with heavy down

    pours. To be fair to Stanborough their decision to cancel at the very last minute was the correct one with the track becoming waterlogged and dangerous for the dogs. The dogs safety was paramount to their decision which means that all our dogs will be able to race again anotherday so a thank you from us

    Lynn & Dave
     
  6. shamrock lady

    shamrock lady New Member Registered

    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Cost me £200 squid!! Sharon said never mind babs we can go shopping for a few overdue items. £200 hundred pound lighter, but love er 2 bitzzzzz. :blink:
     
  7. shamrock lady

    shamrock lady New Member Registered

    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
     
  8. slimfast

    slimfast Elaine smith Registered

    Messages:
    2,669
    Likes Received:
    42
    Trophy Points:
    0
    (w00t) how much!!! good for you Sharon hope you got some thing nice for that money :D :thumbsup:
     
  9. shamrock lady

    shamrock lady New Member Registered

    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Bits n bobs you know how it is. In one shop then another then back to the first shop across the fort. At that point i was loosing the plot and the will to live. lol.

    And all that just for me to buy some clothes for meeeeeeeeeeee :sweating:
     
  10. slimfast

    slimfast Elaine smith Registered

    Messages:
    2,669
    Likes Received:
    42
    Trophy Points:
    0
    :lol: :lol:
     
  11. Trish

    Trish 11 OF THE BEST Registered

    Messages:
    25,526
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Yes we all agree, they did right in cancelling for the saftey of the dogs, but still should have been notified earlier than 8.55am when we got the call.

    Ours and some other peoples journeys takes 3 plus hours and set off at 6.30am .
     
  12. slimfast

    slimfast Elaine smith Registered

    Messages:
    2,669
    Likes Received:
    42
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I got a voice mail but i can not recieved them :( , so if it was not though Trish we would of gone the whole way :eek: thanks trish :thumbsup:
     
  13. controversial

    controversial New Member Registered

    Messages:
    761
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    if you had lived further away you would have been on the road and only wasted your petrol money.the ground should have been inspected earlier in the morning and not at 8.33 when we got a text saying they were going to inspect the ground and cancelling at 8.55
     
  14. IanGerman

    IanGerman Active Member Registered

    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Well done Stanborough committee on taking this decision. It's easier to not make a decision and let events run their course, then discuss what should or shouldn't have happened afterwards. And cancelling an Open is not a decision to be made lightly. Surely they were right to leave it as late as possible just in case racing WAS possible. It's unfortunate for people already there or on the way, but this is a summer of extremes and we just have to make the most of it.

    Harvel was lucky that our Open was 2 weeks ago and went off without hitch, but if it had been yesterday, we'd have been in the same position. I was at the track on Saturday and all was well, went back on Sunday, and although the ground was soft to heavy in horse racing terms, still no problem. Then at 10-30 it started to rain, and after around an hour we decided to call it off while we could still get cars off the track. The bottom curve that cars have to negotiate was getting very boggy and we had no 4 x 4 available.

    Hopefully Stanborough will have the opportunity to re-schedule this Open, and I for one, wish them well.
     
  15. Strike Whippets

    Strike Whippets New Member Registered

    Messages:
    8,065
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    The dogs safety always should come first. Well done Stanborough on your tough but safe decision :thumbsup:
     
  16. rentagob

    rentagob New Member Registered

    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  17. rentagob

    rentagob New Member Registered

    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  18. rentagob

    rentagob New Member Registered

    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Congratulations Stanborough for making the difficult decision to cancel your open. Sureley people must have realised that the weather we have been having has been localised. I left Somerset sat am in a blaze of sunshine only to be confrounted by storms at Reading onwards. Sat night was horrific & well done Steve & everybody who helped get the campers safely off the site. I do hope you will be able to ree run the open after all your hard wor getting the track right.
     
  19. Trish

    Trish 11 OF THE BEST Registered

    Messages:
    25,526
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Why would the folk in the North know what kind of weather stanborough or even the south was having on a saturday night ??? :wacko: .

    As you say , you had difficulties saturday night and the weather was that bad surely someone could have sent a text to somebody to get the word around, i would say that is just good manners .

    And now with these kind of posts , i doubt if you will see the northern racers ever making the journey again , because the club couldnt be bothered to let anyone know in a good time space .

    And i speak not just for myself but for the number of racers that was traveling down that day .
     
  20. betsy

    betsy New Member Registered

    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yes, we all realise the weather has been terrible everywhere, and of course the safety of our dogs is paramount, nobody is disputing that.It's the way the difficult decision was taken at the last minute without thought for the people travelling nearly 200 miles that morning.Why wasn't the decision made at 6am at least so that phone calls could have been made to stop people setting off ? I'm sure the committee have worked hard getting everything ready and you can't please everybody, this was our first visit having heard good reports about the club,sadly we have been disappointed in the lack of consideration for the northern people supporting the open.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.