The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Boarding Kennels

mazza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have got Alf and Annie booked in for 1 night during July when my daughter gets married and we will be spending that night away from home.

A very good local kennel can take them for the night. I'm sure they are both going to be very well looked after, which is my main concern, spacious heated kennels with runs, individual diets catered for and walks twice a day. A good experience for all as they haven't been to kennels before, so to find out later how they settle will mean we may get a 2 week holiday next year ( Oh how I would love to feel that Gran Canarian sun again) and be happy for them to be looked after at these kennels.

I'm sure they are going to be fine, at least I will be able to relax at the wedding and enjoy the day without worrying too much about how my babies are.

Will be taking them on the morning of Katie's wedding and collecting them as soon as possible on the Sunday morning, they wil be boarding for possibly less than 24 hours and will be sharing a kennel together. What I didn't expect was a fee of £38.00 for the one night stay. I'm being charged for two days even though they will be actually be there for less than 24 hours. Don't know how the boarding kennels work out the prices for longer stays, if its by the day the dogs boarding fees for two weeks would be £260.00 based on the overnight rate I have been given which is £18.60 per night for the two dogs. Blimey their holiday would be nearly as dear as mine. I don't want to appear a tightwad, and I want to be certain my dogs are going to be properly looked after, so would pay whatever but I work bloody hard for my wages so hate to think i'm paying excessive prices .

Am interested now to know what other k9ers pay for two weeks away.

It is £30 a night for our 4 with very simillar sounding facilities (and they absolutely love it there- I think they like the change)

It cost about that when I put Inca and my mums spaniel in kennel for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and it had the same facilities you mentioned.

The kennel owner told us that even if you take your dog out before the allocated time is up, you are still charged the full rate because they cannot reuse the kennel until it has been clean thoroughly and left to dry.

Sounds similar prices to here - although the kennels I use do waive the days fee if you collect before 10:30 am ;)

We used a kennels near Heathrow a few months ago - I expected it to be £££ but it was cheaper than locally :- "

An after thought which I should have mentioned.

Would you take extra precautions and get your dogs innoculated against kennel cough. The boarding kennel owner asked me if Alf and Annie were innoculated against it and said it would be wise to get them done beforehand. I don't know if they have had a problem in their kennels with this in the past. Is this a standard reqirement in boarding kennels nowadays.

Oh no, more expense. (w00t)

it wont protect them from all varieties of the virus same as colds, but it will give some protection.anywhere where lots of strange dogs congregate and especially if they are stressed they can be prone to catching respiratory disorders.its the same with rabbits,but they get snuffles! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiliam (greyhound ) and Toby (whippet) went to kennels a couple of weeks ago for monday night til saturday morning the bill was £70 they shared a kennel but were fed separately Wiliam would have eaten Toby if fed together.

Mine go to her when we go away in june last time 2 years ago the bill was just ovr £400 for 1 gsd and 5 whippets

it worked out at about £28 a day for the 6 of them they were walked had heat lamps if it went cold not the gsd but the whippets did .If wese the woman at shows they all run to her when she calls them she shows grande blu de gascoines and no matter how busy she is she'll always make rom for my dogs even the bitches when they are in season

That seem to me a lot of money for two dogs overnight (w00t)

BUT (at least by OZ rules and regulations)

-If you book a dog to come in say on the 1st to go home on the 2nd of a months, the proprietor cannot allocate the kennel to any other dog for these 2 days, regardless how late you will drop them off, and how early you pick them up.

- Here dogs MUST be vaccinated, or they will not be accepted by kennels.

The boarding kennels have constantly dogs coming and going, they do not know if any of them are contagious. So making sure your dogs have as much protection as possible is wise.

I hope Ms. Molly reads this. She has a Boarding complex, in southern NSW. She or the #1 Kennel girl can put more light on it than me. But I think $10.00 to $20.00 a night seem fair. More than 1 dog is a discount.

Offer CASH, might work. :- "

The kennel I put the dogs in said they had to be fully innoculated and we had to have their papers to prove it...although he said it didn't matter about the kennel cough (it was up to me if I wanted it doing) because he's seen alot of cases of dogs contracting the virus anyway (I had it done just in case and they were ok)

Hi,

my daughter works at a boarding kennels and clients are charged by the day, including day of arrival and day of departure, this is because that kennel is that dogs for the day.

Cats: £5.75

small dogs e.g westies, yorkies: £9.50

medium dogs e.g beagles, whippets: £10.50

large dogs e.g labradors, german shepherds: £11.50

Giant dogs e.g great danes, mountain dogs: £12.00

small dogs x2 sharing: £18

medium dogs x2 sharing: £20

large dogs x2 sharing: £22

giant dogs x2 sharing: £23

Further reductions are made for more dogs from same family sharing, if in for a long time. :))

But of course my dogs get to board for free because my daughter is the head full time kennel maid. :lol:

Also july is a peak period where even bad kennels get filled so you may get charged more for this reason.

The kennel my daughter works at is fully booked during july-august and they must turn away hundreds. :))

Im going to check some kennels out near to us as we havnt been away since getting Oscar and Kobi :( I would like to see a few before taking them. Also I do know the riding school my daughter goes too also has boarding kennels and a cattery and will ask for a look around next time Im there.

I know there are also 2 within about 10 miles from us and they are both around £7.00 a night per dog. £14 for 2 dogs. Yes sounds like their hollidays definitely cost almost as much as ours.

Good Luck with yours Mandy. :thumbsup:

I pay about £30 for two nights for mine (but I think I get a discount :D , and they do share ...).

I'm VERY LUCKY, as my friend & I, who both have two Greyhounds each, look after each others.

I have on the odd occassion put them into kennels but can't remember how much I paid.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back