The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Boarding Kennels

jasper.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hello, has anyone with none peds had a weight loss problem with housing there dogs in boarding kennels whilst away..

mine are just back, from a top rated kennels, and they were fed on the same type,..and amount off food, that i give at home, but all but one,. they have all lost weight.

jasper. said:
hello, has anyone with none peds had a weight loss problem with housing there dogs in boarding kennels whilst away..mine are just back, from a  top rated kennels, and they were fed on the same type,..and amount  off food, that i give at home, but all but one,. they have all lost weight.

did u give them your own meal (feed) or did they supply it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
jasper. said:
hello, has anyone with none peds had a weight loss problem with housing there dogs in boarding kennels whilst away..mine are just back, from a  top rated kennels, and they were fed on the same type,..and amount  off food, that i give at home, but all but one,. they have all lost weight.

maybe the stress of being away from home and missing you ,just a thought :thumbsup:

Generally my dogs have lost weight when in Kennels because they pine when away from us for any length of time.

Now they are left with friends if we go away :(

I work in a very good boarding kennels .......When it comes to Whippet, Greyhound or Lurcher types we feed them their normal diet but double their normal daily intake as they can fret the weight off .......

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, strike whippets. with mine only getting there normal amount, this must be why.. ill have to give them extra for a while.

Not a non ped but last year my show greyhound went to kennels with my 4 whippets for 2 weeks. We were lucky not to loose him .He came back looking like he had been in Belsan for a couple of weeks. He'd been to these kennels before on 2 ocasions with no ill effects and we'd used them for years.

We have now found a small kennels down the road she only has 25 kennels 5 of my dogs have been in recently for 1 week and came home looking as they did when they went in. She even bathed the setter because she managed to get herself grubby so she would be clean when we picked her up :thumbsup: . I provided my own food and even the 2 6 month old pups did well and had not lost any weight. I will definitely use them again in the future the only trouble is at popular times you have to book early or you'll not get them in. She was quite cheap to £180 for the 5 of them for a week

jasper. said:

Book me in for a month or two Maurice....... :thumbsup:

Karen

ours have been out of kennels 2 wks. edward (whippet) had lost about 2lbs and elvis (mongrel) stayed the same.....fat :- " :wacko: .

The kennels i feel are excellent even though ed lost weight, they fed him 3x daily (and seperate from elvis) but the weight loss may have been done to the 2 walks aday plus the play time they are allowed in the fields (probably bunny chasing).

They did say for the first couple of days ed did pine for us but he did settle down eventually.

Me & tony many years ago put ours in kennels once and it was horrific the state they came out(never used that kennels ever again)....even now it still puts me off putting dogs in kennels even though i highly rate the one i use now.

i think a couple had weight loss of around 8 lbs which for whippets is horrendous.

William lost 6 kilos in weight in the 2 weeks he was at kennels

This was William on the day he cme out of kennels

DSCF1343.jpg

I THINK ITS JUST DOWN TO STRESS OF THE MOVE TO WHAT THERE USED TO

I BET THEY WILL SOON BE BACK TO NORMAL NOW BACK IN THERE OWN

SURROUNDINGS :huggles: :thumbsup:

jasper. said:

ihave ped whippet and would never put her in kennels as the nature of the whippet they tend to be nervous at best of times and find kennels distressing which would account for the weight loss, there are plenty of great doggie sitters out there who keep the whippets in the dog sitters house while you go away we found this great for our whippet she thrives on it even put weight on lol.

argos1 said:
jasper. said:

ihave ped whippet and would never put her in kennels as the nature of the whippet they tend to be nervous at best of times and find kennels distressing which would account for the weight loss, there are plenty of great doggie sitters out there who keep the whippets in the dog sitters house while you go away we found this great for our whippet she thrives on it even put weight on lol.
no way on gods earth would i put my dogs, members of the family into kennels,

i considered all this afore i got the dogs

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back