The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bones

whippets

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i have beein reading all of the posts about bones and chicken wings and i dont get it.

If you freeze the bones the meat is raw but isnt raw meat bad for dogs like it is for humans and wouldnt it make a right mess?

sorry i just dont want my dog to get ill and it me my fault!!!

whippets said:
i have beein reading all of the posts about bones and chicken wings and i dont get it.
If you freeze the bones the meat is raw but isnt raw meat bad for dogs like it is for humans and wouldnt it make a right mess?

sorry i just dont want my dog to get ill and it me my fault!!!

No - raw meat isnt' bad for dogs. Think about all the junk they eat off the road. Raw meat is bad for humans. Our systems are created differently. Dog's systems process food a lot quicker than humans so there isn't the time required for the bacteria to build up in their gut the way it would in ours. There is a lot of info about this in the FAQ section, but I I hope this helps :D

Wendy

Hi Whippets, a good way to look at it is to think about how dogs eat in the wild. They don't have any cooking facilities do they! :- " Therefore, raw bones and meat is fine for them. People usually freeze first, then let the meat defrost before feeding. This is to kill any bugs, bacteria anyway, then you can be sure the meat is fine. As Wendy says, there's loads of info in the FAQ section. :thumbsup:

Well peoepl eat steak very rare with blood still ossing :x out i allways make sure mine have good quality meat frozen and defrosted and its fine

jok said:
Hi Whippets, ...... People usually freeze first, then let the meat defrost before feeding. This is to kill any bugs, bacteria anyway, then you can be sure the meat is fine. ........

Let's clarify one thing, freezing does NOT kill bugs, what it does do, is put the life cycle of the 'bug' into a dormant phase, BUT, when the meat is defrosted, and the meat warms up, any bugs that were there before will be back with a vengenance. This applies as much to the meat you meat eaters eat as it does to the meat your dogs eat! Which is why you should a) wash your meat before you cook it, and b)ALWAYS wash your hands when you have handled raw meat. :blink:

Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
jok said:
Hi Whippets, ...... People usually freeze first, then let the meat defrost before feeding. This is to kill any bugs, bacteria anyway, then you can be sure the meat is fine. ........

Let's clarify one thing, freezing does NOT kill bugs, what it does do, is put the life cycle of the 'bug' into a dormant phase, BUT, when the meat is defrosted, and the meat warms up, any bugs that were there before will be back with a vengenance. This applies as much to the meat you meat eaters eat as it does to the meat your dogs eat! Which is why you should a) wash your meat before you cook it, and b)ALWAYS wash your hands when you have handled raw meat. :blink:

Im sorry, i thought that neosporosis canineum spores were destroyed by freezing, im sure there was information on this before. Any how, by freezing your meat as soon as you purchase it you are stopping the spread and multiplication of bacteria. Therefore, freeze on the day of purchase and just defrost as you need it - better than keeping in the fridge where bacteria can multiply? That's all im saying on the subject, sorry if what i said before was misleading. :- "

jok said:
Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
jok said:

Im sorry, i thought that neosporosis canineum spores were destroyed by freezing, im sure there was information on this before. Any how, by freezing your meat as soon as you purchase it you are stopping the spread and multiplication of bacteria. Therefore, freeze on the day of purchase and just defrost as you need it - better than keeping in the fridge where bacteria can multiply? That's all im saying on the subject, sorry if what i said before was misleading. :- "

Im placing you under house arrest for misleading k9ers

:- "

midlanderkeith said:
jok said:
Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
jok said:

Im placing you under house arrest for misleading k9ers :- "

LOL Keith, i'll hand myself in tomorrow. SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! (w00t)

fallenangel said:
Well peoepl eat steak very rare with blood still ossing :x   out i allways make sure mine have good quality meat frozen and defrosted  and its fine
Not to mention steak tartare.

There are many different bacteria in meat, some harmless some potentially harmful. Neosporosis canineum spores are destroyed by freezing, other pathogens are not. Some exude a toxin that in certain concentration can make people sick or kill them; but dogs need even higher concentration to be affected. Cooking or freezing does not destroy these toxins. That is why it is important to obtain meat from a reputable supplier, preferably place that sells meat for human consumption, and keep it frozen and in hygienic conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been feeding raw meat and vegetables to my dogs for the past four years and they are thriving! The main meat is chicken in the form of carcasses or wings. It is usually frozen as I buy a months supply at a time and obviously that is the only way of keeping it. I have been interested in the comments about bugs etc. in the meat affecting dogs. Has anyone any PERSONAL experience of THEIR dog(s) being affected by possibly affected meat? Are most cases only hearsay? Wild dogs, wolves etc. don't have their meat frozen first! Then perhaps they die younger from food poisening!

Dennis, i feed raw and am too finding that my dogs are doing very well on it. (im a recent convert). I am not paranoid about bugs and bacteria, because, like you say, there is no freezers in the wild! However, it seems quite a few people do have concerns about raw feeding and everyone has different perceptions and worries, so this is understandable.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back