The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bones

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by Jjohnd, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Jjohnd

Jjohnd Member Registered

This may seem trivial but I am no expert and know that there are people on the forum who can answer my query.
    Our Lab (rescue) picks up a second-hand bone occasionally when I am exercising her. Is this unusual and should I try to prevent it and just ignore her?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

If it is a cooked bone, it could splinter and cause intestinal injury so yes, very dangerous. If it is a raw bone, I'd be more concerned about how decayed it is and the health of the dog that left it, or the animal it came from.

3. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

It's surprising how many bones are lying around where you'd least expect them. Avoid them if possible, and take them from your lab if she'll give them up willingly, giving her something wonderful in exchange. Bear in mind that if she thinks the bone is the best thing ever and you are going to try to take it, she might bolt it, which would be more dangerous than letting her eat it at leisure - so there's a balance to be had.

Ragsysmum likes this.
  4. Jjohnd

Jjohnd Member Registered

She is quite happy to let me approach her and take it from her. I hate depriving her but I feel it needs to be done.

Ragsysmum and JudyN like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Have something lovely at all times to swap.

Hemlock likes this.
  6. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

One of ours is always finding old pheasant bones, she enjoys eating them, and sometimes deer bones. As @JudyN says, if we were to try taking them from her she may just bolt them, we tend to let her eat them without any pressure to give them up, I would much rather she ate them properly and safely.
    All our lot know how to eat bones , they know when they are ready to be swallowed safely.
    We can take bones from any of our lot whenever we want. A "found" bone is always more exciting though.

7. Jjohnd

Jjohnd Member Registered

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies.