The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Booster Jags

Alba

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
friend's year old whippet nearly due booster injections (parvo, distemper, leptospirosis)

what's the latest thinking/advice re annual vaccination?

I think on here some do, some have alternative preventions, I have mine boostered by the vet :)

I have the puppy jabs done then their first booster, then after this I only have lepto done ........It's all a lottery ......You can damage your dog by having them jabbed, and you can put them at risk if you don't :wacko: ......I work on the assumption in the first 2 years of being jabbed and with field immunity, if they arn't immune then they never will be .........Just my own opinion though :b

I don't use conventional vaccine at all any more. My dogs are all homeopathically nosoded & boostered. I am perfectly happy with that, but that's just my own personal preference.

Strike Whippets said:
I have the puppy jabs done then their first booster, then after this I only have lepto done ........It's all a lottery ......You can damage your dog by having them jabbed, and you can put them at risk if you don't  :wacko: ......I work on the assumption in the first 2 years of being jabbed and with field immunity, if they arn't immune then they never will be .........Just my own opinion though  :b
i agree, i get my dogs done the first two years then just get the vet to give them the lepto one yearly after.

Sorry for my ignorance but what are lepto's and nosodes and what do they actually do :unsure:

Thanks to the fact that over the past 20, or so years, most of dogs were annually vaccinated and the vaccines have improved greatly, incidents of distemper are almost unheard of, and parvo is not such a threat either. So it is very difficult to assess if dogs are actually protected for life and if the alternative methods work, or if they just simply did not come in contact with the virus through their lives.

I would do the "annual" boosters more like ones in every 18 months or 2 years, but because I show my dogs, and our KC requires the jabs to be done every year, I do them.

Also I do bitches before they are bred, but once they are retired from breeding and showing, I will do them less often, however I will consult my vet about this issue when they get old and therefore more susceptible to diseases.

I wonder if there is a test to find out if they have antibodies for parvo and distemper.

I was thinking if you are doing anything racing/showing ect that requires dogs to be fully vaccinated are the alternative therapies accepted for this :unsure:

Dont know about showing Lesley,

but for racing it is now down to the individule clubs to set their own rules for vaccinations.

The WCRA used to have it as a rule that up to date Vaccination certs needed to be shown before a Secretary could issue a passport sticker but thats now been changed and dogs only now need to have had their 1st set of injections after that its advised owners follow guidance from their own vets.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back