The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Boxer Dogs

A&Eteam

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good afternoon,

I am a newbie to the forum and am hoping to benefit from all the good advice and good will that I have seen on some of the other posts on this forum.

My partner and I - having had experience of Labradors and Greyhounds - are considering giving a boxer puppy a good home.

However having spoken to some boxer owners and read up on the Internet we understand that they can (unfortunately) suffer from a lot of illnesses - mainly stomach, kidney and heart problems.

Whilst this hasn't put us off we are keen for some advice and help in finding a reputable boxer breeder? Ideally we would like to be able to view the puppies parents (the sire and dam), ensure the relevant heart checks have been carried out on the parents and the pup (we have been told this is a must if buying a boxer pup?) and the necessary vet checks.

We understand that no breeder can guarantee the long term health of a puppy and of course no matter what happened (long term) we would give the dog a loving home.

If anyone has experience of boxer dogs, can recommend reputable breeders or any advice it would be greatly recieved

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a vets , and we see alot of Boxers with skin problems , cancerous growths and pyoderma .

Most arnt long livers , 10 seems to be a`good age` for a Boxer . Of course now they have to have tails too ,

They arnt one of my fav breeds as they do tend to drool alot (w00t) and area bit `wappy ` for want of a better word, but each to their own . on the plus side , they dont moult like a lab . but do take a few years to calm down . We get stupid Boxer owners ( and other manic breeds too )wanting their dogs castrating to `calm them down ` as if it were as simple as that :blink:

Good luck whatever your choice.

I work at a vets , and we see alot of Boxers with skin problems , cancerous growths and pyoderma .
Most arnt long livers , 10 seems to be a`good age` for a Boxer . Of course now they have to have tails too ,

They arnt one of my fav breeds as they do tend to drool alot (w00t) and area bit `wappy ` for want of a better word, but each to their own . on the plus side , they dont moult like a lab . but do take a few years to calm down . We get stupid Boxer owners ( and other manic breeds too )wanting their dogs castrating to `calm them down ` as if it were as simple as that :blink:

Hi,

thank you so very much for this it is really appreciated and great advice. I took the opportunity to visit our local vets and one of the vets has a boxer but she did warn us of all the ailments!

We were planning to go for a bitch as all the dogs we have grown up with have been bitches - however someone has warned us that the bitches might not settle very well and that a Boxer dog (male) is more loayl?!! To be honest I have taken this with a pinch of salt - but if anyone knows differently please let me know.

We are high energy people and as my partners works nights and I work days the dog we choose would rarely be on its own. I know having had a Greyhound though that the energy levels will be quite different - but the Labs we have had have always been very energetic.

Thanks again for tha advice - really appreciated.

Hi,

thank you so very much for this it is really appreciated and great advice. I took the opportunity to visit our local vets and one of the vets has a boxer but she did warn us of all the ailments!

We were planning to go for a bitch as all the dogs we have grown up with have been bitches - however someone has warned us that the bitches might not settle very well and that a Boxer dog (male) is more loayl?!! To be honest I have taken this with a pinch of salt - but if anyone knows differently please let me know.

We are high energy people and as my partners works nights and I work days the dog we choose would rarely be on its own. I know having had a Greyhound though that the energy levels will be quite different - but the Labs we have had have always been very energetic.

my mum used to breed and show boxersin the 70.s and she never had any problems with her boxers they make super pets very good with children they are a bit on the silly side and never seem to grow upi myself prefer dogs you dont have the seasons and yes i do fine a male more loyal

good luck in what you decide

Hi,

my mum used to breed and show boxersin the 70.s and she never had any problems with her boxers they make super pets very good with children they are a bit on the silly side and never seem to grow upi myself prefer dogs you dont have the seasons and yes i do fine a male more loyal

Thanks for this advice - really helpful. We are really attracted to the silly side of the Boxer breed. The Lab we often 'dog nap' from my partner's parents is a livewire (not quite two years old) and she has an unexplained phobia of bridges! We have experienced seasons with bitch labs and if we do decide on a boxer bitch we would let her have her firts season and then look to have her neutered.

Other than not having the seasons and the loyalty a dog offers over a boxer bitch what other things do you like about the male dogs better? :- ) thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Thanks for this advice - really helpful. We are really attracted to the silly side of the Boxer breed. The Lab we often 'dog nap' from my partner's parents is a livewire (not quite two years old) and she has an unexplained phobia of bridges! We have experienced seasons with bitch labs and if we do decide on a boxer bitch we would let her have her firts season and then look to have her neutered.

Other than not having the seasons and the loyalty a dog offers over a boxer bitch what other things do you like about the male dogs better? :- ) thanks again

i fined male dogs more loving and they have better temprements i also find males easier to house train and more willing to please i find they make better family pets

Search for topics on here with Moonpig in the title..read them..then I dare you to still want a Boxer (w00t)

I've heard a few Boxer owners say that they often have problems with other dogs - not because of anything the Boxer is doing but because other breeds don't seem to like them.

I think it's that their appearance makes them hard for other dogs to read - their stance and the set of their eyes look like a dog who is holding itself square and staring hard - which in dog language is the equivalent of 'you want trouble come and get it'. It might help that they aren't docked now, I guess a wagging tail will make them look less threatening.

I've heard a few Boxer owners say that they often have problems with other dogs - not because of anything the Boxer is doing but because other breeds don't seem to like them.
Interestingly, both my whippets have had issues with any dogs that have 'squashed' faces (boxers, pugs, mastiffs). It took me ages to think about it from their point of view, and of course hounds have long pointy noses and boxers might look as thought they are snarling, if you were an approaching hound!

I lost my boxer last year at 8 years old. She was a white and has so many terrible problems in her life a bit like moonpig. I got mine from a top breeder who was also a vet so there are no guarantees. My first boxer was a male and he was far more loyal but I did have more power struggles with him as he wanted to dominate me :unsure: I actually got my whippets as I could not face the risk of another boxer with awful health problems.

I lost my boxer last year at 8 years old. She was a white and has so many terrible problems in her life a bit like moonpig. I got mine from a top breeder who was also a vet so there are no guarantees. My first boxer was a male and he was far more loyal but I did have more power struggles with him as he wanted to dominate me :unsure: I actually got my whippets as I could not face the risk of another boxer with awful health problems.
same here, I lost all my boxers to cancer, couldn't face that again so took up the whippet...and I am so pleased i did!!!

Boxers were tested for progressive axonopathy , which is some disease of the nervous system, as well as heart checks...

I have a rescue boxer at the moment, she was six months when we got her and she is now six. She had pyometra (sorry about spelling) when she was two and nearly died. Other then that she has been relatively healthy. Sadly I lost my other two rescue boxers one to cancer she had a complete mammary strip but it spread and her sister to brain tumour they were 11 and 10 respectively. We didn't have that long with them as they were nearly 7 when we rescued them

As heartbreaking as it was I would do it all over again because they gave us so much love.

I think though most breeds have their problems and it is good that you are doing research and even better that you are taking on a rescue.

Best of luck

Val

Good afternoon,

I am a newbie to the forum and am hoping to benefit from all the good advice and good will that I have seen on some of the other posts on this forum.

My partner and I - having had experience of Labradors and Greyhounds - are considering giving a boxer puppy a good home.

However having spoken to some boxer owners and read up on the Internet we understand that they can (unfortunately) suffer from a lot of illnesses - mainly stomach, kidney and heart problems.

Whilst this hasn't put us off we are keen for some advice and help in finding a reputable boxer breeder? Ideally we would like to be able to view the puppies parents (the sire and dam), ensure the relevant heart checks have been carried out on the parents and the pup (we have been told this is a must if buying a boxer pup?) and the necessary vet checks.

We understand that no breeder can guarantee the long term health of a puppy and of course no matter what happened (long term) we would give the dog a loving home.

If anyone has experience of boxer dogs, can recommend reputable breeders or any advice it would be greatly recieved

Thanks again

Where are you based ? My father's cousin is a very well known and reputable breeder Based in durham and all his boxers and Boston terriers are show dogs ( crufts etc). Parents have heart check papers. You can see parents check them out. Olleyville boxers. Xx

Julie, you do realise this thread is 11 years old? Welcome to the forum though!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back