The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Boxer with Pancreatitis

joy is a boxer

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I was wondering if anybody has any useful information out there on living with a pancreatic dog.Lucy is an eight year old boxer and has been plagued with this chronic disease for two to three years.At present she is on Royal Canin Pancreatic lowfat formula.I also sprinkle a lypex capsule over her meal.She gets no over the counter pet treats or any tidbits that might kick off an attack.She has done well for the last ten weeks and was starting to put a bit of weight on but for the last couple of weeks she has not been too good.Off her food,clingy and depressed.Our vet doesn't think she dislays the classic symptoms of pancreatis-her motions are always firm,no temperature and more discomfort than really physical pain.I have tramadol if it is needed but so far havn't used it.I have cerenia tablets if she is nausious and give her paracetol if she looks uncomfortable.Has anybody got any information about steroid treatment for this condition as it looks like this might be my last option and I am a bit loathe to go down that path..

Can you share your advice on the forum Pippywhippet?

Some people don't like to post and ask for help and any information we can give on these things might help many more people! :)

Not my advice that I was offering, but was suggesting a forum user from a while ago who also has a boxer with pancreatitis, and who I'm sure has a great deal of experience. I know she is still active on another forum and thought she may respond to a message from the OP :)) and may be tempted to post with her knowledge on this thread.

hi my 8yr old springer has pancreatitis iv'e tried loads of different foods.you need a low fat dietthe lowest i have found is chappie tinned food at 3%fat,with no mixer. he still has flare-ups.my vet wants me to feed him i/d prescription diet at £2.25 a tin, 3tins a day.i only feed him this after a flare-up for a week,then go back to chappie,hope this helps

Thanks everybody,My Vet has taken bloods today to send off for testing,fingers crossed.!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back