The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breed choice for puppy

maria2011

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

We would like a puppy and were set on gettnig a flat coat but a visit to one breeder and a chat with another has left us wondering if our situation is right for a flat coat. We want to provide the best life we can for a dog and want to make sure we choose the right breed for our situation so we have gone back to thinking whether we should consider other breeds.

We're considering a Golden Retriever (my husband grew up with a golden), English Setter, English Springer Spaniel or Brittany but are now open to suggestions that people think would suit our situation.

My husband and I have a two year old daughter who absolutely loves all animals and has always known dogs, there are a lot in the neighbourhood and her Grandparents have a Springador who she loves. So without being relaxed about having a dog and a toddler we don't have concerns about her with a dog. I work 3 days a week and have options for dog care each with their advantages and disadvantages from a dog walker, dog day care, neighbour visits, coming home from work for lunch both of which would be for about an hour at a time. On the days that I work our dog would be walked in the morning before work and walked in the evening after work by us and by either the neighbour or the dog walker / dog day care during the day. Obviously before, the puppy is fully vacinated we would be on leave from work and with the puppy at all times.

We are a very outdoors family and love camping holidays so feel that we would be able to give the dog lots of long walks on my days off. The dog would have a minimum of two walks a day but would be with my daughter and I for 90% of 4 days I don't work (she has a couple of 30minute lessons we attend that the dog wouldn't be able to attend). Currently my daughter and I spend a lot of time outside on walks, in parks or in the garden and love any excuse to go to the beach (takes about 30-40 minutes). We know that the puppy will need a lot of training, we've looked at puppy training courses and made sure that there are times we would be able to walk the puppy without our daughter to ensure the puppy has our full attention. Plus at the weekends we would be together as a family so one of us would have the dog and the other the toddler and there's always the backpack carrier to put the toddler in.

As I said we were set on getting a flat coat but now reconsidering and would welcome any advice about breeds that you think could be happy and thrive in our situation or suggestions on changes we could make to ensure we had a happy, helathy dog.

Thanks in advance.
Maria

You have clearly done your homework so bravo! I did exactly the same before I got my Lab.

May I ask why you have been put off flat coats? They an amazing breed that are family orientated and have similar traits to Labs and Goldies (retrievers) apart from they are little more crazy sometimes but that is just part of their personality.

Any of the breeds you have noted are all suitable for your life style, but you must work them, even if it's just teaching them fetch and throwing the ball. They are all high energy active breeds that need a lot of work to keep them stimulated, so training classes are perfect to incorporate into your routine with your dog. Once they are old enough agility or fly ball is also good as that really taxes their brains.

a breed from the hounds may also be suitable as they are working dogs with lots of energy even the bigger dogs. Beagle perhaps if you are not looking for a dog that's too big.

Personally I would go for a Labrador, but I'm very bias as I have one! They are short coated, so easy to groom (though double coated so shedding is horrendous!), easy to train, loyal, loving, gentle and family orientated. Labs tick the box for family dog every time!

Now on the flip side I have also owned a Rotti and my what a dog he was! he wouldn't hurt a fly and if raised correctly from a pup are marvelous family dogs! They are bigger and need firmer training but these dogs are so clever they will do most things you ask them to. Despite their size (some of them can be very big!) they are very active dogs and can slot into a very active lifestyle, though be warned that they were originally bred for hurding so don't let them see sheep or they be gone before you have finished blinking!!

Any of the breeds you have mentioned are wonderful and come with very little negatives. Your an active household from what you said, so I honestly believe that any working breed would slot happily into your home and make a wonderful pet.

Let us know what you choose!

Sophie x

Hi Spohie,

Thanks for your advice. To be honest we would still love a flat coat but the breeders we have spoken to aren't keen to sell to us because I work three days a week. The breeders have said that they wouldn't let someone else walk their dogs or use a dog day care facility or leave their dog for more than four hours so they wouldn't sell a puppy to us if we were going to do any of the above. With the exception of leaving the dog for mroe than four hours we would consider the use of a dog walker or sitter or day care (if it was maanged correctly) .

We certainly intend to work the dog (whichever one we get) and have looked into agility and flyball, flyball looks great fun!

I'll keep you posted but currently an English Springer Spaniel is our favourite - quite a big size difference between a fcr and ess but I still think we'll have a fcr one day.

Thanks

Maria x

To be honest, the breeder saying they wont sell you a pup because of your work commitments is a sign a good breeder!

Anyone that sells pups to anyone is all down to money making and not the welfare of the pups, and the breeder you spoke to clearly cares for her dogs and the pups she sells long after she has sold them no doubt!

The breeder I had Bear from did the same with us. She asked me what hours I worked and because I work days and my partner James works nights we have no issue as he is never alone (most of the time). She said that she wouldn't sell to us if Bear was going to be left alone too often.

If you find a breeder that doesn't quiz you to death then you need to question the breeder in my opinion.

And a few of my friends have springers and they are totally mental, crazy dogs, but an absolute joy to be around! They are a wonderful breed, and a tennis ball will no doubt be the key to your success when it comes to training.

the lady we take Bear to (doggy day care) owns a Springer named Maddie and she is just gorgeous and keep Bear in check whenever he gets a bit too much for her, so its good for Bear too as he learns new manners every time he goes!

It sounds like your making all the right moves and if you need a puppy book to help you along I recommend The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey. I followed it to the letter with Bear when we first had him, and I couldn't fault her methods!

Good luck!

Sophie x

owww kudos to the breeder!! obviously a good one i would try and persuade them that they dog wont be left alone for long periods and when you do have to work (as most of us do) you have made good provisions for the dog. My pup is left 2 days a week, but i walk her before going to work, a dog walker comes in and walks her too and my hubby is home mid afternoon..its not ideal, but life rarely is..it sounds like you have done your homework and the dog will have a wonderful life with you. All the dogs you mention are fab family dogs, but they only become fab with work..the first 2 years are a whirlwind of puppy antics but if you can get through that you will be fine. Im assuming with a 2 year old your house will already have things like baby gates, stuff out of reach etc so you are already half way there..go back to the breeder and talk to them again ..and dont forget pictures when you get the bundle of fluff :)

Thank you all, that's what we felt too and have listened to all the advice so decided not to get a flat coat now. I'm definitely not saying never though, they are amazing dogs!!

We are getting a puppy though, hoping to get an English Springer Spaniel that was born over the weekend... it's very exciting!!! Walked some of the breeders other dogs today to see how they were and it was wonderful.

Thanks again!

I actually know a calm springer. I was so gobsmacked when I met her- she's almost as slow as the rest of the dog world!

Generally speaking though, I think that springer owners are a very special kind of mad. Dog owners in general are a kind of mad- we accept the expense of feeding, providing beds, toys, vet bills, dog walkers and the like, and we are happy to clean up endless paw prints, hair, chewed things and smeared paintwork- but springer owners have a little niche all of their own. Anybody who can take a dog out for 2 hours, come home, have a drink and then go back out with the dog because they want a run around has my respect :)

if you have done your homework and nothing that a springer could do to you will surprise you then go for it. You'll be busier than a busy thing, but you'll also be fit, tanned (or rusty) and will sleep really well after all of that exercise :)

Please remember to follow our rules on this though- cough up with the puppy pictures or I'll sulk ;)

Ohhhhhh mad mad mad..spaniels are wounderful..i love them..but omg are you going to be (very) fit. i have a GSD/collie x and she never stops...well almost never..get a crate , and when things get too much sit in said crate with a bottle of your fav tipple..ive found it helps me get through the pup/teenage stage :) :) :)

seriously though, they are fab dogs for a busy family , you will have so much fun together i sure..but where are the pictures?..The pup is a few days old now..there are NO excuses for for lack of pictures ..especially puppies pffttt ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back