The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breed help

DogLove

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I'm researching dog breeds to find ones which would be suitable to join our family. I love the personality traits, trainability and temperament of labradors but the all year heavy moulting sounds like a nightmare.

Are there other breeds which have similar temperaments to labs but don't moult as much.. Don't get me wrong, I'd happily put up with some moulting but I don't want a heavy moulting breed.

My advice would be to attend a large multi breed dog show like a championship one. There you will see many breeds and be able to talk to their owners. Most people are only to happy to talk about their dogs.

I have a soft coated wheaten terrier and he doesn't moult. He does need regular visits to the groomers for a cut (works out about £30 every 6-8 weeks) but he sheds no hair so this is a huge advantage. He does need brushing quite a bit to make sure his coat is not getting tangled. That's the only down side. His temprement is fantastic, with other dogs, kids and everyone. He is slightly smaller than a lab but very gentle natured and a fun personality. Very user friendly to take places as he is cute so everyone likes him.

If you want to see some pics he is on www.mypawson.com a website for dogs. Look under Pawsonalities he is on page 9

With daily brushing the casting could be cut down considerably. Another option might be a labx of some sort. Other than that Weimerimers have a similar build and can be wonderful dogs but need quite a lot of excerise. Dobermans get a bad rap but with a decent owner they are very sweet dogs with very little shedding. But to be honest I am getting bthe nimpression thatbyoub really bare a Labrador fan. Perhaps you could repost with a title asking for lab owners so they can give you some first hand knowledge of how bad the moulting will get. My mother had a black lab cross and it really wasn't bad if he was brushed regularly. A good pet store can help you find brushes to remove loose hair and undercoat.

A Labrador rescue group could give informed reliable advice and I have found rescues are usually quite honest as they don't want to sell you on an unsuitable dog and get it back again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back