The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breeder charging £500 for breeding rights?

Scout_1982

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, new to this forum and looking for some advice.

I went to see a silver Labrador puppy which I loved but something is just not adding up.

The puppy is not KC registered and the seller is saying it’s £500 to register the puppy and for breeding rights?

Looking at the KC website this doesn’t seem right, it feels like something isn’t being disclosed.

Any advice would be appreciated. My heart loves the pup and I think it would be a great fit for the family, but my head is saying there’s something up.

Hello, new to this forum and looking for some advice.

I went to see a silver Labrador puppy which I loved but something is just not adding up.

The puppy is not KC registered and the seller is saying it’s £500 to register the puppy and for breeding rights?

Looking at the KC website this doesn’t seem right, it feels like something isn’t being disclosed.

Any advice would be appreciated. My heart loves the pup and I think it would be a great fit for the family, but my head is saying there’s something up.

No idea! However, ring the Kennel Club and ASK!

No, registration with the KC costs nothing like that. In fact, they won't even be able to register that dog with the KC as it's a non-standard colour.

There's something seriously amiss here, I'd recommend being very careful. I'd start by asking for the parents' hip scores (should be below 10.6) and elbow scores (should be 0). Their eyes should be tested too. Health and reducing the risk of inherited, painful conditions is more important than registration imo, and if they can't provide you with these it suggests they are more concerned with making money than with the long term health of the puppies (and the related cost and stress to you). And if they haven't done that before breeding, your pup isn't a good candidate for breeding either.

Use your head. Labradors are not hard to get. This sounds like someone who is breeding unscrupulousy, and buying from them would only line their pockets and encourage them to breed their girl more. Please read this thread, and if you would like us to look at their website to see if there are any other red flags, do shout out.

Puppy Farming

If you want to get into breeding, that's a whole other conversation but a good place to start would be by getting involved with good breeders, usually at events where labs are being independently assessed in either showing or working trials.

Last edited:
Some of the pups born a silvery colour change to black or golden when they are older ......its a con .....

And others have been crossed with Weimeraners a few generations back.

Do breeders have to have some semblance of registration or certification? Is that right?

No, not in UK. They need licencing if they breed over a certain amount of litters per year or have over a certain number of dogs, but that is for council purposes and nothing to do with the quality of the dogs.

In fact, if a breeder had a license that would be because they were breeding quite a few litters - and that alone would make me cautious.

Just wanted to congratulate the OP on asking the right questions, and trusting your instincts.
Sounds like a highly suspect set up, and I agree with the previous advice to avoid what is likely an unscrupulous breeder, and possibly heartbreak and expense for the buyer.
If you aren't intending to breed yourself, have you considered a breed-specific rescue dog? (In my opinion, 'rescue' is the best breed of all :)
Good luck, whatever you decide!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back