The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breeder's Contracts

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Seraphina said:
seaspot_run said:
I don't know about the laws in other countries. Here in the US, it would be a matter for small claims court. I know that if you can prove damages, then you can collect damages. But more than that, you can cause that person who breached the contract to have to appear in court, get a lawyer, etc...I would definitely do that if one part of my contract was breached.
Here, I believe you would have to prove financial loss.

Gail, one way to make sure that you would find out if one of your pups ends up in pound is to microchip them before you sell them making sure your vet has one of the Breeder's Registration Forms. That registers the pups in your name, which will stay on the microchip record at the Central Animal Records, even when the new owner registers the dog in their name. You suppose to be notified if an animal you bred is in pound anywhere in OZ.

Although this breeders registration has been introduced few years ago, some vets do not know about it. My vet was away when i was doing my last litter, so i had to go to somebody else and had to have a huge fight with them because they did not know what i was talking about. In the end had to force them to call the CAR and they faxed them the correct form. :)

Of-course, no system is ever going to be foolproof, but at least I feel I have a chance to find out if any of my pups need help and i would be able to bail them out and find new home for him/her.

When I started this topic, I had a simple question I really needed an answer to. In no time at all it descended into farce & f*cking rabbits. Thank you, very much, to Lida & the 2 Karens who have got it back on track for me with some worthy & valid information. Thanks also to the K9er who took me aside at the show yesterday & told me exactly what to do & how to go about it. When the time comes later this year to impliment my new found knowledge, I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck to all of you - may all your puppy buyers be saints, not sinners.

Gail.

Seraphina said:
Tesa said:
Tesa said:
Being a newly registered prefix, with plans to breed my foundation litter later this year, I have been following this topic with great interest.
:)   :)

Forgot to add, I NEVER refer to myself as a breeder, I am always a newly registered prefix/kennel. I would be far to embarrassed to call myself a breeder when I haven't had any puppies :b

Karen, why do you think I was referring to you?

I didn't think for one moment that you were referring to me in any, way, shape, or form Lida. This is an open forum, and I was just putting my sixpennith worth in Lida

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
seaspot_run said:
I do require that all buyers who do not already have a longterm relationship with me (and a few who do, if the agreement is for a co-ownership with some co-breedings) sign a contract. I also sign the contract and we each get a copy.

Karen, thank you so much for your post. This is just the sort of answer I have been looking for. :thumbsup: I still have a few questions to be answered, but I will come back to you later, when I have read the contract over a couple of times.

:cheers:

Karen

Tesa said:
Lida,  Who protected your first puppy buyers when your bred your first couple of litters 40 years ago? 

When i bred my first litter I chose 2 best bitches to go on with, and the rest of the pups were advertised as healthy KCC registered pet pups. I did not advertise them under my kennel name, I did not spin the truth and people got exactly what I said they are getting. The pups were properly reared vaccinated and wormed, came with instructions. :)

In those times the only way to promote your kennels would be in some dog magazine, which would have been far too cost inefficient for person breeding a litter once a year or less. The only possibility of spinning the truth would have been couple of extra lines in your puppy ad.

The subject of websites was been raised earlier in this topic (and before on other topics).  Gail has referred to “an incredible web site claiming all sorts of rubbish which looks wonderful to unsuspecting puppy buyers”.  To the poor unsuspecting puppy buyer, (and lets face it, the internet is the place to most of Joe Public to go to these days), the internet is an absolute minefield. I get very frustrated when I hear people lament about how deceiving websites are (and let’s face it, the Aussies know exactly who’s website you refer to Gail).  Why is it that so many people are reluctant to beat them at their own game. So many breeders need to bring their own websites up to scratch.  Use it as a tool to educate Joe Blow.  Even if Joe doesn’t come to you for a pup, you can still implant the idea in his head that he needs to proceed with caution when choosing a breeder.
The trouble is that to put up anything vaguely competitive with THAT website would have to have as much spin as his does. How can you compete with claims like;

"6 entries 6 placings" at shows week after week? Of-course, he forgets to mention that often the placings are 3rd out of 3, 2nd out of 2, or 1st out of one! So in fact the "placings" are being last (w00t) Although it has not been updated last time i looked, I had a person (not local) just recently asking me why i am not using his dogs, considering he is such top winning breeder. (w00t)

Anyway, i doubt that the Joe Blow does read pages and pages of puppy rules and other info. Nowadays people seem to have 20second attention span. :(

I know of the most dreadful breeder who regularly sells pups through my local paper.
That means he has only very limited reach - annoying as it is, while website is accessible all over the world. Most importantly all over Australia.

This person refers to himself as  **** ****** Whippet Stud.  He is an elderly gentleman who has been breeding for decades.  He has left the VCA and assorted clubs after various disagreements.  I often run into people with his dogs.    The story is always the same, once they got up there they bought the puppy because they felt so sorry for it. Years of poor breeding practices have also left him with serous problems such as blindness, deafness and heart complaints.
Can't people who know the situation get together and make a combined report to the RSPCA?

There is a common public assumption that because he uses his name to promote his Whippet Stud, then he is a breeder of some reputation.
That was the exact point I was trying to make. It was actually a lament of my friend, involved with one of the popular breeds, saying that some new people purchase one often not particular good bitch, sit the exam and all of the sudden they are "Millie's Mutts" registered breeders of xxxxxxxx breed with impressive website, and sending pups interstate.

Last edited by a moderator:
aslan said:
native said:
I know of several breeders (poodles and cat breeders) who desex puppies/kittens at 10 -12 weeks before they leave the property, it is more comon now, with the modern desexing techniques not such a major operation as it used to be. Anne

Birrarun Kennels.

Anne, do you know what is the price (roughly?) those breeders are paying for puppy and kitten desexing?

Hi Lana,

after a little research into early desexing, it has revealed that more breeders are participating than I realised.

Male puppies have one small stiitch, females 2 small stitches.

Cost for Registered breeders $110.00 for males (that have both tesicles down)

Females $150.00.

There are a couple of vets in SA that are experienced in early desexing proceedures.

Anne.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back