The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bright Red Rash

Violet Turner

Registered
Dog Walking Manchester
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was giving Olive a belly rub and I found a pink/red blister rash, it looks really sore and its hot to touch does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
I would have put it down to calcium but I’m not sure it is.

(It’s similar to eczema and heat rash combined.)

Has she been walking/running through any longish grass, gorse, nettles, etc.?

She wouldn't stay still so the picture is bad, it a little more red than what it looks. Its on both legs and also surrounding her vulva. It is like scabs. She has only been on rocky paths today and in a little (2cm) of mud.

olives legs.JPG

Could the puppies have scratched her? Could it be an area that comes into contact with her urine? Could she have grazed herself on a rock? I'm just guessing really as the photo doesn't give much to go on.

Could the puppies have scratched her? Could it be an area that comes into contact with her urine? Could she have grazed herself on a rock? I'm just guessing really as the photo doesn't give much to go on.
the puppies only have her milk in the morning, so no it cant be this and we clip the claws nearly every other day as they get super long. in regards to the rocks it could well be but I'm not 100%, and no that area doesn't come into contact except her vulva. I'm sorry about the picture i will try again tomorrow and if the rash doesn't calm down i will be taking her to the vets ASAP. it could be anything. Could it be fleas? i have checked her body and there is no sign of fleas but it does look like some flea bites

When was she last deflead and what did you use? You could try googling images of 'flea rash dog' and similar but be prepared because the photos that come up when you google medical matters are always the worst end of the scale so they're not pretty!

When was she last deflead and what did you use? You could try googling images of 'flea rash dog' and similar but be prepared because the photos that come up when you google medical matters are always the worst end of the scale so they're not pretty!
Bob martin- last year before i got her so about 4 months ago ish' not too sure. do you recommend any brands. i have found a picture that looks similar so i will give her a bath with her flea wash that i bought for emergency's and give the house a clean (force my partner to) when i get back from her walk i will bathe her.

Bob Martin isn't great. My vet recommends Frontline or Stronghold but Frontline stopped working on our cat years ago, so I'd question its effectiveness. Jasper has a Seresto collar now which seems to work even though it should have expired by now, but I've found as long as I treat the cat, Jasper doesn't seem to pick them up (they would show easily on his sparse coat).

I would worry about using flea wash on Olive while she's nursing as it presumably contains some nasties - unless it's a deterrent rather than a cure. I'd double-check with your vet to be on the safe side.

Oh, and if you check carefully you might be able to spot fleas or flea dirt. Comb the coat with a fine comb and if there's small flecks of dirt, put them on some white paper and wet them slightly. If they go red, they are probably evidence of fleas.

Oh, and spot-on flea treatments (if that's what she had) only last about four weeks.

Oh, and spot-on flea treatments (if that's what she had) only last about four weeks.

Okay thank you! You have been helpful, I will check when I get in. I will speak to my vet about some effective flea and tick treatment. Will Doris need spot-on soon? I will keep you updated when I get back from our walk and won’t bathe Olive because of the pups, but I will speak to the vet about the rash and the flea wash. :)

I think most spot-ons should only be used from 12 weeks of age, though you can get puppy formulations. But if Olive does have fleas, it may be necessary to treat the pups sooner rather than later or they could end up anaemic. Definitely a question for your vet - I've seen some suggestions online but I wouldn't trust them.

I think most spot-ons should only be used from 12 weeks of age, though you can get puppy formulations. But if Olive does have fleas, it may be necessary to treat the pups sooner rather than later or they could end up anaemic. Definitely a question for your vet - I've seen some suggestions online but I wouldn't trust them.
okay thank you much appreciated! i have arranged with my vet for a consultation. I'm only half an hour away from home so i will be able to use a fine tooth comb when i get in.

Just got back and olive was groomed yesterday and maybe she had a reaction to the shampoo?

Did you use the comb and check for physical evidence of fleas?
yes there was none, I'm also going to speak to the groomers because it could be the shampoo, or she did hurt her self on a rock.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back